Need a mature male BHP...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvbuz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone in the Cairns region has a healthy male BHP ready to breed this season. My female has been cooled and is pretty much ready to rock 'n' roll this year. She is a six year old, 8' girl, very docile and loves company! PM me for more details...

Mmmm from what I have seen borrowing out males or females isn't something people like to do.

I am not going to tell you what to do with your own snake but if I was you I would seriously reconsider buying/borrowing a BHP to breed this season, the reason being all the cases of Sunshine virus popping up with many of those cases being in QLD.

To avoid getting this virus it is recommended quarantining new arrivals for 12 months.
If you were to go through with your plans of breeding this season then you would be forced to break quarantine, something which may seem okay to you but for most herpers it would raise red flags and potentially damage your reputation.

I am not going to tell you what to do with your own snake but if I was you I would seriously reconsider buying/borrowing a BHP to breed this season, the reason being all the cases of Sunshine virus popping up with many of those cases being in QLD.

To avoid getting this virus it is recommended quarantining new arrivals for 12 months.
If you were to go through with your plans of breeding this season then you would be forced to break quarantine, something which may seem okay to you but for most herpers it would raise red flags and potentially damage your reputation.
Very good point but if the poster is adamant they want to breed then if they place their existing BHP in quarantine along with the new addition then they are only risking one of their snakes and not their whole collection. Still not something that I would do but some some people would take the risk.

Very good point but if the poster is adamant they want to breed then if they place their existing BHP in quarantine along with the new addition then they are only risking one of their snakes and not their whole collection. Still not something that I would do but some some people would take the risk.

I am not 100% on if it can be passed onto offspring but I certainly would not take the chance.

Thank you to all above posters - the quarantine aspect is something I hadn't even thought of to tell the truth! I quarantine all my new additions and can't think why I hadn't considered that when putting the original question out there. Advice taken - no breeding for BHP's for me this year, but at least the health of my (and others) snakes is assured...

I am not 100% on if it can be passed onto offspring but I certainly would not take the chance.

Hi Josh, I have looked into this and there is a case study being conducted at the moment where both male and female pythons both test positive to sunshine virus and were bred. The eggs have been tested and the outside has tested negative to the virus but the inside has tested positive. At this point it is unknown if it is the male or female that passed it on or if the snakes once born will have the disease but it is thought that it will be most likely that they will. I believe a paper will be released once an outcome is achieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Josh, I have looked into this and there is a case study being conducted at the moment where both male and female pythons both test positive to sunshine virus and were bred. The eggs have been tested and the outside has tested negative to the virus but the inside has tested positive. At this point it is unknown if it is the male or female that passed it on or if the snakes once born will have the disease but it is thought that it will be most likely that they will. I believe a paper will be released once an outcome is achieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, very interesting indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back