Need Advice.. About to purchase my first snake hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChunks

Reaction score
This will be my first snake and want to make sure I am doing everything correctly. I am tossing up between a Bredli or the breeder down the road has some new Albino Darwin hatchlings that are almost ready to go.

Just wanting to know, will the sizes be roughly the same at adult stage between the Bredli and the Darwin?

When hatched all the albino babies were caramel but the parents are pure white? will they get whiter as they age?

And finally do the Darwins and the Bredli have roughly the same temperament? I know its down to the individual but the common consensus on the groups as a whole?

Thank you in advance for any advice you guys can provide as I have done a tonne of research but could not get much info on the above questions.

Bredli are *generally* a more heavy body snake and on average are larger by a foot or more

Albinos start as a dull caramel colour and by about a year old they get some stripping and patterns

About 1 1/2 to 2 is when they get most of their adult colours

I’ve not really heard of a snappy *albino*Darwin with proper care before but @Yellowtail might have had some

Bredli are definitely a hit or miss with temperament, I’ve got one that is fine to handle and doesn’t bite, and one that just wants to get away as fast as possible and strike everything in his path as soon as I touch him
[doublepost=1583709950,1583709290][/doublepost]https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/albino-darwin-stages.221099/

The bredli may be slightly larger but there's not much in it. Individual temperaments vary. Bredli are generally good, early generation Darwin Carpets are prone to being snappy but the albino lines getting around are generally good. Yes, albinos change colour over their first few months.

If you wanted a more moderate sized snake I'd suggest an Antaresia, but if you want a larger snake these are both excellent options for your first. As long as both sellers are good, snakes are feeding well, etc, go for the one you like the look of most.

Thanks heaps for your reply Bl69aze

Wow I have not heard of a Bredli being that snappy with all the research I have been doing.

Thats good to know about the Albino Darwins colour changing as it gets older.

I am very torn between the two. I love the look of the Albino but love the size of the Bredli.
[doublepost=1583713341,1583713139][/doublepost]Thanks Sdaji.

I am wanting my snake to get around the 8-9 foot mark. Is that something that is possible for a Darwin?

Thanks heaps for your reply Bl69aze

Wow I have not heard of a Bredli being that snappy with all the research I have been doing.

Thats good to know about the Albino Darwins colour changing as it gets older.

I am very torn between the two. I love the look of the Albino but love the size of the Bredli.
[doublepost=1583713341,1583713139][/doublepost]Thanks Sdaji.

I am wanting my snake to get around the 8-9 foot mark. Is that something that is possible for a Darwin?

9', no. Even the largest Carpets rarely get that long. People will claim larger but they're as honest as politicians. Darwins are a smaller variety of Carpet. If you want larger you might as well go for an Olive Python or something. Even for a bredli, 8' is unusual.

9', no. Even the largest Carpets rarely get that long. People will claim larger but they're as honest as politicians. Darwins are a smaller variety of Carpet. If you want larger you might as well go for an Olive Python or something. Even for a bredli, 8' is unusual.

Ah ok.. I must have gotten my wires crossed on the sizing there. Thanks for setting me straight on that one lol.

So its seems I should be good with either the Albino Darwin or the Bredli.. I think they both are amazing looking snakes which is making it much harder to decide lol.

Are Albino Darwins a bit more rare? I don't want to be the guy who passed up getting a rarer snake because I didn't know is value lol.

Albino Darwin’s are the snakes everyone and their mums breeding

@Herptology has some nice A grade hypo bredli hatchlings that may be available in some time

They have no black as adults and are quite “rare” for A grade

Albino Darwin’s are the snakes everyone and their mums breeding

@Herptology has some nice A grade hypo bredli hatchlings that may be available in some time

They have no black as adults and are quite “rare” for A grade

Oh wow thanks for the info. I think I have decided that my first snake will be a Bredli!

Those hypos sound really nice. I would like to find one with really vibrant colouring if at all possible as all the ones I have seen have either a washed out look or are really dark.
[doublepost=1583724017,1583723314][/doublepost]I am also based in the Logan area in QLD if anyone would be able to point me towards some good Bredli breeders at all please.

I will also send @Herptology a meesage. Thank you for that referral as well.

Bredli are *generally* a more heavy body snake and on average are larger by a foot or more

Albinos start as a dull caramel colour and by about a year old they get some stripping and patterns

About 1 1/2 to 2 is when they get most of their adult colours

I’ve not really heard of a snappy *albino*Darwin with proper care before but @Yellowtail might have had some

Bredli are definitely a hit or miss with temperament, I’ve got one that is fine to handle and doesn’t bite, and one that just wants to get away as fast as possible and strike everything in his path as soon as I touch him
[doublepost=1583709950,1583709290][/doublepost]https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/albino-darwin-stages.221099/
All my adult albino Darwins are dog tame despite only being handled when cleaning cages but some of the natural Darwins I have used in my breeding programs are quite snappy so there is definitely something in the albino genetics that makes them more placid. This is quite obvious when you breed albino/het pairs, the resulting hets come out of the egg with attitude and feed enthusiastically while the albinos are very timid by comparison.

I do have 1 final question.. I have read a lot of people saying that having the Jag % gene is bad and then another group says that its fine.

Should I be avoiding hatchlings with the Jag gene all together? They look amazing but I have read they can have neurological problems?

I do have 1 final question.. I have read a lot of people saying that having the Jag % gene is bad and then another group says that its fine.

Should I be avoiding hatchlings with the Jag gene all together? They look amazing but I have read they can have neurological problems?

All jags will have neuro, some you won’t notice unless you’re really looking for it

Others will be going up and down and all over when stressed and should be put down

Keyword is stress — seems to make the neuro go a bit bonkers

Some will say they are the mutts of the reptile world and should be killed
Others say opposite

I *personally* don’t like that they have neuro and will avoid them, if you like them, get one, simple as that

All jags will have neuro, some you won’t notice unless you’re really looking for it

Others will be going up and down and all over when stressed and should be put down

Keyword is stress — seems to make the neuro go a bit bonkers

Some will say they are the mutts of the reptile world and should be killed
Others say opposite

I *personally* don’t like that they have neuro and will avoid them, if you like them, get one, simple as that

Thanks for your response.. I think I will avoid them as well.

Latest posts

Back