Need advice for branches

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some new keepers "discover" mites on their snake/s, and blame branches, after putting their new acquisitions into an enclosure with "untreated" branches, without realising that their new animal/s had mites when they acquired them. They get all excited about setting up the enclosure, are told that clean fresh or dry bush branches are fine without treatment, then wacko - a month later their animal has mites... if you are prepared to wait, place the snake in a basic enclosure with minimal furniture and clean white butcher's paper on the floor for a month, you'll pretty much ensure that your new animal is clean and free of mites. Then you can go for it with new branches. This is a pretty good policy for any new acquisition.

As has been said here, and hundreds of times before, snake mites don't come from branches. (99.999% of the time anyway... certainly not enough to bother about...)

Jamie

I think some new keepers "discover" mites on their snake/s, and blame branches, after putting their new acquisitions into an enclosure with "untreated" branches, without realising that their new animal/s had mites when they acquired them. They get all excited about setting up the enclosure, are told that clean fresh or dry bush branches are fine without treatment, then wacko - a month later their animal has mites... if you are prepared to wait, place the snake in a basic enclosure with minimal furniture and clean white butcher's paper on the floor for a month, you'll pretty much ensure that your new animal is clean and free of mites. Then you can go for it with new branches. This is a pretty good policy for any new acquisition.

As has been said here, and hundreds of times before, snake mites don't come from branches. (99.999% of the time anyway... certainly not enough to bother about...)

Jamie
I wouldn't think Mityes would be seen on a tree without a host,

However ants could be a problem (potentially termites aswell) I've seen ppl say ants don't live on fresh cut branches, then another thread people saying they have an ant problem after a new branch?

I know treatment isn't needed but just to be on safe side I'll prob spray with some f10, wash it, keep it it in sun for a day. Would this be the right way to go?

Here's the tree I plan on lopping down

The bark isn't "loose" you have to really force it off like jabbing with something

Looks like you will have plenty of suitable branches so cleaning them is not an issue, just throw the old soiled ones and replace.
Best way to kill any bugs is put the cut branches in a closed plastic tub and leave in the sun for a few days but you won't get mites from branches.

Bottlebrush or wattle? It looks very much like the wattle next to my shed site.

I'm certain that's a Bottlebrush. An eastern species or hybrid. It doesn't resemble the WA species as far as I can tell. If you look closely at the picture you can see a red bottle-brush shaped flower. Although I'll admit I'm more familiar with south-west Western Australian endemics, the plant in Bl69aze's picture doesn't have any features that would suggest Acacia.

However ants could be a problem (potentially termites aswell) I've seen ppl say ants don't live on fresh cut branches, then another thread people saying they have an ant problem after a new branch?

In regards to ants I don't see them as too much of a problem. I discovered that some of the branches I collected had ants, the small black kind, but I didn't find out until the branches were installed in the enclosure. The ants ignore the reptiles, and vice versa. If anything, they're somewhat helpful as they feed on the reptile's waste products such as feces and left over food. Some populations have been there for months now. But this is my experience and in general I try to avoid having ants in my enclosures.

I'm no botanist, Oshkii, lol. You're probably right. We'd need to see foliage to be sure.

Pauls-pythons i dont care you dont have to write a 100 word lecture about me im not being the big man...... around here

Just drop it or take your argument to PMs. This is a forum for reptile lovers, not those who wish to argue over petty things and belittle others

There is no argument Buggster. Just an inappropriate reaction to advice given. There is an amazing tool on the forum called the ignore list to which mine now has an extra couple of members added to it. No more problem on my side :)

I'm no botanist, Oshkii, lol. You're probably right. We'd need to see foliage to be sure.
I'm certain that's a Bottlebrush. An eastern species or hybrid. It doesn't resemble the WA species as far as I can tell. If you look closely at the picture you can see a red bottle-brush shaped flower. Although I'll admit I'm more familiar with south-west Western Australian endemics, the plant in Bl69aze's picture doesn't have any features that would suggest Acacia.

In regards to ants I don't see them as too much of a problem. I discovered that some of the branches I collected had ants, the small black kind, but I didn't find out until the branches were installed in the enclosure. The ants ignore the reptiles, and vice versa. If anything, they're somewhat helpful as they feed on the reptile's waste products such as feces and left over food. Some populations have been there for months now. But this is my experience and in general I try to avoid having ants in my enclosures.

Found out it is a bottle brush tree :)

There is no argument Buggster. Just an inappropriate reaction to advice given. There is an amazing tool on the forum called the ignore list to which mine now has an extra couple of members added to it. No more problem on my side :)

Can't agree more. I just couldn't understand where all the fuss was coming for, I felt your first answe to be helpful in answering the question. Others seems to have taken it the wrong way and blow the entire issue out of proportion

No worries, pinefamily. I'm not a botanist either. Although my interest in native plants has piqued over the past year or so.

snake mites don't come from branches. they are reptile specific mites and can only survive on a host reptile. your mites must have come from coming into contact with an animal that did have mites (either yourself or your animal). thats why it is very important to sanitise yourself very carefully before and after handing your animals

If being on me is a possibility then they would be just as possible to have been on the branch. I had not been in contact with any other reptile. My thoughts are that a reptile had recently been on that branch in the wild. I think its best to be safe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back