Need help children’s python not moving

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamom8

Reaction score
Hi my children’s python has buried itself under the aspen snake bedding and hasn’t moved from the same spot in 3 days he is usually very active and feeds every time and he shed last week, under his hide it’s 31-32c on the heatmat but he is on the cool side under the bedding not moving I checked to see if he was still alive and he striked a couple times out of the bedding lol so I’ve left him and he hasn’t moved since I’m really worried about him he’s my first snake I’m in Sydney and it’s quite cold atm is he brumating he was due for a feed today but I didn’t want to disturb him he hasn’t moved at all please help not sure what to do thanks
[doublepost=1528617963,1528617924][/doublepost]He is a juvenile t+ albino and is on fuzzy mice
[doublepost=1528618087][/doublepost]
2h3067b.jpg

Snakes need to thermoregulate to maintain their body temperature within certain boundaries and do this by moving away from the heat to cool off once they have reached their desired optimum temperature. It's under the substrate because it's looking to find a secure, safe place where it can rest and cool down and you don't have a hide in that area of the enclosure.

ps: Fake or real I don't think it's a good idea to have a cactus in the enclosure.

Snakes need to thermoregulate to maintain their body temperature within certain boundaries and do this by moving away from the heat to cool off once they have reached their desired optimum temperature. It's under the substrate because it's looking to find a secure, safe place where it can rest and cool down and you don't have a hide in that area of the enclosure.

ps: Fake or real I don't think it's a good idea to have a cactus in the enclosure.
Thank you for the reply I’ll take it out it climbs on it lol ordered another small hide for the cool side is it normal that it’s been there for 3 days not moved at all

Yes, it is normal, I suppose it just looks not normal because he’s under the substrate

He also looks a bit pale, he could be getting ready to shed

Last edited:
Woah is that a cactus in the enclosure?

Fake or real I don't think it's a good idea to have a cactus in the enclosure.
It is an Exo-Terra cactus designed for reptile enclosures, I don't see the issue.
If you like it in there @hamom8, then keep it in there. It won't do any harm to your snake, if anything it adds enrichment value.

Is soft as you guys acting like it’s a real cactus he was on top of it the other day lol I took it out anyway so I got more room for the 2nd hide

All good, it's obviously not the same as all the fake cacti I use in my desert scorp and desert T setups. These are far from soft, they're every bit as sharp and rigid as a real deal cactus and the spines separate from the main body easily. I got one lodged under my thumb nail once whilst hastily trying to remove a cricket from a scorp's enclosure that had just shed. Honestly would have been less painful to grab the scorp and let it tag me! Lol

All good if your cactus is soft-spined... mine are not and I defs wouldn't put them in my python's enclosures. ;)

All good, it's obviously not the same as all the fake cacti I use in my desert scorp and desert T setups. These are far from soft, they're every bit as sharp and rigid as a real deal cactus and the spines separate from the main body easily. I got one lodged under my thumb nail once whilst hastily trying to remove a cricket from a scorp's enclosure that had just shed. Honestly would have been less painful to grab the scorp and let it tag me! Lol

All good if your cactus is soft-spined... mine are not and I defs wouldn't put them in my python's enclosures. ;)
Haha yea I wouldn’t have it in their if it would harm it

We better collect all the sharp sticks and rocks from the bush then.
Snakes might HURT themselves!

We better collect all the sharp sticks and rocks from the bush then.
Snakes might HURT themselves!
Are you personally responsible financially for the well being of all the snakes in the bush? Well you better hop to it then.
[doublepost=1528697519,1528696125][/doublepost]
Haha yea I wouldn’t have it in their if it would harm it
Good work. The hobby of keeping herps in captivity is already expensive enough without taking unnecessary risks which could lead to expensive but easily preventable veterinary bills. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back