need help on green tree frog setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBANG

Reaction score
ok guys i wanna surprise my wife with a green tree frog setup for our anniversary this year, before you ask yes she would love them, she is obsessed with frogs, we have bloody frog statues everywhere in the house, she has kept them years ago in a previous relationship but when she left that she had to leave her frogs........SO as i have no idea about frogs except what they look like, will one of those enclousures with the glass doors and mesh sides they sell on ebay for about $200 do? or are they better in an enclosed glass tank to keep in humidity???? also is there somewhere on here where they are advertised or do i just get them from a pet shop like amazing amazon or somewhere like that

green tree frog

hi i have 3 green tree frogs and i just keep them in a similar tank to what your talking about they are a great pet and are low maintanence unlike some snakes green tree frogs don't require a heat rock or pad etc i have had my original green tree frog for 7 years and he eats anything from huge spiders to meal worms. also if your in sydney i am about to sell my latest green tree frog as i think 3 is to many for this tank i prefer the original 2 but if not its cool just thought i would give u some advice.

If I was to do a frog setup I'd get an Exo terra Cameroon Rainforest Habitat or a 60x45x45 and do water with a bit of land and a waterfall trickling down the back foam wall with the fogger, thick sized dry grape vine wood and heaps of green. Mann setting up that would be a fun afternoon

"huge spiders" I like the sounds of that, cant stand spiders, just not sure how the frogs will go once the spiders have been marinated in a can of fly spray or scrapped off the bottom of a size 11 boot! Lol they give me the heeby Jeebies!

the only insect i dont like are grasshoppers, i had one of the really big ones tangled up in my hair and was jumping around like crazy. since then i cant even walk past one, they are so unpredictable to jump at you!!

Cathy

make sure the enclosure is tall , have heaps of real life branches, spaghnam moss substrate, glass exo terra enclosure, water bowl, plastic exo terra plants, uvb 5.0 light and canopy, oh and a mister to spray them with daily, dont give them too much water, their bad swimmers and i almost had mine drown a couple of years ago when he was going for a swim in the shower hahahaha

make sure the enclosure is tall , have heaps of real life branches, spaghnam moss substrate, glass exo terra enclosure, water bowl, plastic exo terra plants, uvb 5.0 light and canopy, oh and a mister to spray them with daily, dont give them too much water, their bad swimmers and i almost had mine drown a couple of years ago when he was going for a swim in the shower hahahaha

The solution I found for this problem was to place slopping riverstones on the bottom of the bowl so they can soak happily. Keeping in mind Tree Frogs love taking a good long soak in water up to their shoulders before they do a poo. My lovely girl was a shocking swimming before I installed her permanent shallow water feature.

thinking of building the tank myself (am a tradie) and including a small fish pond in the bottom, if i put a sloping gravel floor in it will that be ok for them? then heat it and that will provide the humidity how does 900hx500wx450d

Have to disagree with constant misting and too much spagnum, tree frogs need a completely dry area, they don't like to be constantly wet and it can be bad for them if the conditions are too wet all the time. I give mine a light spray every second or third night and they have a waterfall with a quite large pool that they can wet themselves in if wanted. I use coco husk mats and large river pepples as flooring. Pictures are from when I first got them but this is my set-up. Mine are magnificents and they hang out on rocks more than in trees so I furnished accordingly.

Attachments

• 050720121255.jpg
    050720121255.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 050720121259.jpg
    050720121259.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 329
  • 050720121252.jpg
    050720121252.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 190720121268.jpg
    190720121268.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 277
  • 190720121267.jpg
    190720121267.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 190720121265.jpg
    190720121265.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 190720121264.jpg
    190720121264.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 252
Have to disagree with constant misting and too much spagnum, tree frogs need a completely dry area, they don't like to be constantly wet and it can be bad for them if the conditions are too wet all the time. I give mine a light spray every second or third night and they have a waterfall with a quite large pool that they can wet themselves in if wanted. I use coco husk mats and large river pepples as flooring. Pictures are from when I first got them but this is my set-up. Mine are magnificents and they hang out on rocks more than in trees so I furnished accordingly.

Completely right. Low humidity is okay but you don't want to soak the animals all the time. Frogs are quite subject to fungal infections in overly moist conditions, it's just not required. They absorb water through their skin, so a comfortable, healthy animal will just move itself into the water if it is feeling dehydrated.

yeah they will rip a spider a new a hole i fn hate spiders aswell so far mine hase eaten a huntsman and a huge stick looking spider the only ones i wouldnt chuck in would be a funnel web or bird eating spider for obvious reasons the frog will even eat small mice and even a sparrow they are heaps cool and low maintenence and they look nice<><> so a all round winner

i rekon a water heater would be great, especially in vic in the winter, they would love it

In the winter yes, but the water need not be anything too far above room temperature. They just need the water to be kept warm if the room temperature drops too low, they don't need a spa :p

In the winter yes, but the water need not be anything too far above room temperature. They just need the water to be kept warm if the room temperature drops too low, they don't need a spa :p
i could do with a spa.......

- - - Updated - - -

wanna build me one too Mr tradie

Cathy
i can build anything for a price

mine just has a waterbowl for water, much easier to keep clean than something thats built in.
it sits on a heated tile (cord under it) so he has the choice of being wet and warm or dry and warm, the rest of his enclosure is dry and room temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back