Need help with injured bluey.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grogshla

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My friends sister works at a vet and recently they had a bluey come in with burns to his nose. The bluey has gotten rid of the injured tissue and now looks like its nose and face is being eaten away.
It is very graphic and she asked if I know of any specific disease that may cause this. I don't know what to say can anyone offer advice?

It could be some kind of flesh eating bacteria/fungus?

Another possibility is that when the bluey is trying to remove the injured tissue, it has inadvertently damaged it further by pulling off the new tissue and has now left an open wound. Kind of like getting a burn with clothes on and the clothes have become embedded in the wound therefore removing the clothes opens up the wound.

No expert but that's my $0.02

Last edited:
Without seeing the pictures I cant give advice. Often parts of the face eaten away is from rats.

ok cool.
I have seen the picture and the blueys nose is gone and his nasal cavity is exposed. The front of his mouth is all gone also. From what I was told by my mates sis, the bluey was brought in wild as it was on someones property. The burns have cleared up (aparently the nostrils were fused shut) and now all the burns are gone but the front of the face seems to be eating away. There could be no chance of rats as it has been cared for at the vets.
Would antibiodics or anything like that help get rid of the disease or should they do a blood test?

If it has had burns and that has cleared up then the window for recovery of tissue around the face is decreased dramaitically. The burnt area should have been covered at all times to assist in the regrowing of tissue. If areas are left exposed then they dry out causing the exposed areas to die.
If the nasal passages are fused shut then there is a possibility that the Jacobson organ is also damaged. This means that the bluey can no longer smell or taste food and if released will likely starve to death. It should be on a course of antibiotics and have some sort of physical application to the wound area. Siverzine is recommended for burns. but other antiseptic applications will suffice. Even honey, it doesn't need to be Manuka honey as all natural honey has antibiotic properties.
I would suggest you take it to a serious vet who knows how to either research or contact other vets who know what the score is, ie, not Chris Brown.

If it has had burns and that has cleared up then the window for recovery of tissue around the face is decreased dramaitically. The burnt area should have been covered at all times to assist in the regrowing of tissue. If areas are left exposed then they dry out causing the exposed areas to die.
If the nasal passages are fused shut then there is a possibility that the Jacobson organ is also damaged. This means that the bluey can no longer smell or taste food and if released will likely starve to death. It should be on a course of antibiotics and have some sort of physical application to the wound area. Siverzine is recommended for burns. but other antiseptic applications will suffice. Even honey, it doesn't need to be Manuka honey as all natural honey has antibiotic properties.
I would suggest you take it to a serious vet who knows how to either research or contact other vets who know what the score is, ie, not Chris Brown.

Cheers mate I will let them know. I forgot to mention that the bluey is eating like normal at this stage.

I do volunteer general and reptile rescue and have rescued hundreds of badly injured snakes and lizards. It's important they can move properly, find their own food and eat it. Ray Burton at Mt Hutton vet does reptiles. He has a rescued Diamond that was clipped on the head by a car. I phoned today and they have stapled a gash under its jaw and keeping it in over Easter. Sometimes if it is too far gone it's kinder to end its suffering. I only deal with wild native animals and reptiles that need to be functioning 100% before being released back to the wild. If it is someone's pet then it might be a different story if it can receive more care and be in a protective environment. They have to be able to get away quickly from predators too.

Just speaking from rescue experience as I am not that experienced with reptile keeping yet. I have recently adopted a rescued Spotted Python through Hawsbury Herp Society and still have plenty to learn.

I haven't seen 1 with a burnt nose but we had 1 who wore her nose off by rubbing against a rock and exposed the bone but she lived for a couple of years after that without any problems

If he isn't put to sleep he will need a strong course of antibiotics like fortum. Don't give batryl its not good for reptiles. Im assuming they have him on anti inflammatories/ pain killers? Injectable meloxicam would help him out a lot. But once again, you would have to know a bit about reptiles to be able to sort the correct dose. If it is a wild animal then sad as it is judging from your description it might be better to end its suffering. if its nostrils are fused shut then the poor little bugger really doesn't stand much of a chance in the wild. I work at a vet clinic and we regularly deal with reptiles, and if they are not releasable they usually have to be put to sleep. :(

If he isn't put to sleep he will need a strong course of antibiotics like fortum. Don't give batryl its not good for reptiles. Im assuming they have him on anti inflammatories/ pain killers? Injectable meloxicam would help him out a lot. But once again, you would have to know a bit about reptiles to be able to sort the correct dose. If it is a wild animal then sad as it is judging from your description it might be better to end its suffering. if its nostrils are fused shut then the poor little bugger really doesn't stand much of a chance in the wild. I work at a vet clinic and we regularly deal with reptiles, and if they are not releasable they usually have to be put to sleep. :(

Sorry Lauren but why is Batryl no good? My vet prescribes it for my reps. I've used it several times

I have passed on some info to my mates sister. She has also talked to Dr David Vella.
Thanks for all your advice! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back