need some info on Varanus baritji

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzwinkle

Reaction score
Hey Guys just a few question that could lead into other question im sure, im trying to find a Varanus baritji
but its difficult to find a seller and theres not much in the way of prices for these guys, im supper keen on this monitor and i really dont want to have to settle for something else just for the sake of it, so any info in regards to sellers/breeders would be great and the price range i could be looking at would be appreciated also

they're basically differently coloured ackies that cost 1-2.5k. They are also really, really rare, similarly to varanus pilbarensis and the like. Not really worth it in my opinion.
Speculation or experience?

They're basically just a population of ackies which someone decided to slap a different name on because they have a different pattern. If the animals were exactly the same as they are but the taxonomy had been done properly no one would get excited about them. There are several examples of the same thing in other monitors and other reptiles. 'Varanus bushi' is another fake species which comes to mind (Varanus gilleni and V. caudolineatus are part of one big population and shouldn't really be considered different species, and someone decided to slap a species label on the animals from the intergrade area, which suddenly created a new species which some people put a high price on). Having said that, if you love that colour form/race, regardless of the taxonomy or price etc, your own preference can't be argued with.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not good with names and for some reason thought they might have been something else. If something is basically a different race of ackie, that would be a good reason to keep and breed them IMO.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not good with names and for some reason thought they might have been something else. If something is basically a different race of ackie, that would be a good reason to keep and breed them IMO.
Yeah I agree I think these guys look a little nicer than ur standard acki, and am a little baffled at there price and rarity
[doublepost=1537950080,1537865176][/doublepost]is there any one on here that breeds Varanus baritji by any chance?

I do. I've had a few different baritji localities since 2012. They aren't that rare. I normally sell hatchlings for around $500. The last adult pr I brought I paid $1.5k about 2 yrs ago. I keep about 8 atm. They are a great monitor to keep. Kept in very similar conditions to ackies but they are slightly different being more outgoing than all my ackies and as adults they are sexually dimorphic.

I do. I've had a few different baritji localities since 2012. They aren't that rare. I normally sell hatchlings for around $500. The last adult pr I brought I paid $1.5k about 2 yrs ago. I keep about 8 atm. They are a great monitor to keep. Kept in very similar conditions to ackies but they are slightly different being more outgoing than all my ackies and as adults they are sexually dimorphic.
only 500? guess my prices were off then. say, 500 isn't that bad of a deal-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back