Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cairnsplecs

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am not happy, last week i irresponsibly left an enclosure of my high red male black-head open to find the next day he was missing. I checked everywhere but to no avail. I knocked on most of my neighbours doors to inform them of the situation, most were very helpful and this week we have moved on several snakes from their houses but did not find my black-head. Anyway today I got a knock on the door from the next door neighbour to inform me that a man a couple of doors down was boasting about killing a black head python before it bit his kids. (Let me add that this is the most placid snake I have or had in a large collection). So I went and knocked on the door to introduce myself and make them aware that it was my pet and that it is illegal to kill native wildlife. I was confronted with a rude woman who had no regard for my pet nor the law. Imagine if her dog pooped in my lawn and i hit it with a shovel. I tried to be diplomatic with no joy so I alerted the EPA and they said Monday it will be sorted. I hope they smash him with a big fine.

Moral to the story... i should not have been complacent, always double check enclosures.

that's horrible mate hope they do give him a fine. Sorry for your loss as well.

That really sucks if they knew what it was then why would they kill it? Seems that those w*****s need to be taught a lesson a fine is not enough punishment *If they get one*. But what can you do?

that really sucks let us know if you get any more info about what the EPA do etc,

Omg I need to stop reading these things they make me absolutely FURIOUS :shock: . Hope he gets a massive fine. IMO he should be told to pay for the price of the snake and then the fine for killing a python.

Yea fair enough if the know nothing about snakes and honestly thought it was a dangerous species (even then i dont condone killing but i do understand why people do) but they knew it was a harmless species and showed no remorse what so ever, i hope DERM gets them good

This might back fire on you if derm knowns the snake got out?

There won't be any action taken - he will say he honestly thought his kids were at risk, so what can they do?. The lesson here, and they will probably point this out, is not to let the animal escape in the first place. The buck stops with you I'm afraid...

That's not to say I haven't had snakes get out when I've been careless too... but you need to accept responsibility for the consequences of your carelessness.

Jamie

There won't be any action taken - he will say he honestly thought his kids were at risk, so what can they do?. The lesson here, and they will probably point this out, is not to let the animal escape in the first place. The buck stops with you I'm afraid...

I have to agree...

The animal was on their property so no action can be taken against it. If they broke into your house to kill your snakes, that would be a very different story. Sadly us reptile lovers make a very small % of the public. All you can do is learn from your mistakes and possibly educate these people.

Sorry for your loss mate.

Mate that's no good. I'd be checking all your enclosures are secure and all your paperworks up to date. First thing i'd do if i was EPA or DERM or whoever, would be speaking to the neighbour, then, checking how the snake was kept to make sure it didn't happen again. Guess it's a lesson in checking enclosures. Yes its illegal to kill wildlife, but i'm pretty sure it's a breach of licence for the snake to be on the loose in the first place..

Ben

Sad. Hope they fine the idiot, would like to see him nailed to the wall. However, pay attention to your collection mate. I know snakes are escape artists but, who's got the opposable thumbs and the higher functioning brains? Just need to put them in gear.

does he own a cat or dog????,is it possible one day it will wonder into your yard and try to bite you or your family and you will need to defend your self .hehe

sh** happens mate

jeez that's a rough comment, how would you like it if someone killed one of your much loved pets?

Would this guy get in strife if he killed someones dog just for wondering over his front lawn? I bet he would.

see, if this was me.....the EPA wouldnt find anyone alive left in that house......and the guy who killed it would have his head cut off, with the same shovel that killed the snake, when the cops ask i would tell them, they all had rabies and tried to bite my kids, so i cut off their heads.......:p

does he own a cat or dog????,is it possible one day it will wonder into your yard and try to bite you or your family and you will need to defend your self .hehe

Unfortunately if you did that it would be all over the new, you would go to court and without a doubt be charged, shame they cant do the same when someone murders wildlife

What about the neighbourhood pets you put at risk by losing your snake? They should fine you.

That sux mate, I hope that the EPA takes sereous action against this bloke.
If that was any of my collection that guy would be in some sereous predicaments.

@ PaulH get over yourself thats sereously childish. Lol judging from your avitar theres another cowboy on APS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back