Nephrurus Levis.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magixs

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

With carpet pythons they are constantly mixed, diamonds with carpets/diamonds and so on.

How come no one is openly mixing the Nephrurus levis levis with Occidentalis and Pilbarensis. I'm sure it happens, but no one ever says anything about it..

Comments welcomed!

No one has thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't stand it when people intentionally mix species, no matter what the animal. Aside from being illegal, it's morally wrong and totally anti-conservative. Take turtles for example... if you put a male and a female of a different species from the same complex together like Emydura, say, a Painted (Jardine River turtle) and a Krefft's turtle, one single mating will produce hybrid mongrel turtles for the next 4 years. Instead of the hatchlings being a brilliant vibrant red like a pure-bred subglobosa would be, they'll be a sh***y washed out yellow or orange thanks to the tainting/mixing of genetics. The introduction of non endemic Murray River turtles into the QLD pet trade and NSW, east of the Great Dividing Range has resulted in many of these turtles being dumped into river systems far outside their natural range and cross breeding with the local native species... Murray River turtles are now running rampant in the Bellinger river - threatening the Bellinger River turtle (critically endangered), Manning River - threatening the Manning River turtle (critically endangered), Macleay and Hastings Rivers - destroying the genetic integrity of Macleay River turtles (vulnerable), the Hunter River - crossbreeding with the Hunter river turtles (vulnerable), The Brisbane River - ruining the genetic integrity of the Brisbane river turtle and Krefft's turtles... and so forth... Once the damage is done, it's irreversible... Soon, the only turtles left with any genetic integrity will be the ones bred in captivity by conservationists.

Hello, thanks for the responses, I didn't know it was illegal as they're the same close family. People are constantly crossing different types of carpet python

Letting things back into the wild is never good but that's a different issue than cross breeding.

yes, it is sometimes, such as rehabilitating an animal, or getting a population up. and just because people do it doesn't mean it's legal or morally right, people keep exotics and yet it's both illegal and cruel.

I searched for the specific rules on it, and if the species naturally crosses in the wild, you can then breed it that way, which makes the most sense. So my original question whether Levis Levis can breed with Occidentalis or Pilbarensis is yes as far as I can see? As their borders do cross.

Took me a few searches to find it: 46 Inter-breeding of wildlife (1) A person must not, without the prior written approval of the Secretary— (a) permit different taxa of wildlife to interbreed unless those taxa of wildlife are known to inter-breed in the wild;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back