Nephurus deleani in USA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
usa and the uk have pretty much everything we have, i think its rediculous but not much we can do

I know that they already have a few species of our venomous snakes....

not very many people interested in vens, albino rattlesnakes sell for USD15 ea ( which is soon to be equivalent to about AUD 8000 or something, thanks kev. )

taipans available are from png and that's about all that you ever see advertised in australian vens.

even death adders were sold a couple of years back at USD 50 each and from memory they were also wc png.

so the long and the short of it is that you can make a killing smuggling geckos out, breeding them up and flogging them, but no-one would cover their costs to do it with vens, cause even the hard-core collectors don't spend the money and there aren't many of them.

They have just about every aussie species os,even the ones we don't have access to.

not very many people interested in vens, albino rattlesnakes sell for USD15 ea ( which is soon to be equivalent to about AUD 8000 or something, thanks kev. )

carpetmuncher,I'm curious how is the current government in any way responsible for the downturn in the world economy?

My understanding is that there is no licensing system in States. Does that mean that, once successfully smuggled out of Australia, these animals can be sold in the open market with no fear of any ramifications? Or does our Government occasionally allow export of animals?

Sort of correct, but not quite.

Hello,
I'll butt in here since I have some familiarity with this subject.
Yes, there are a surprising number of Australian species available in the U.S. However, I can go to you some well thumbed books of Aussie species on my shelves, and show you several times more what I wish were here instead !
I won't try to argue how they got here. A few things concerning prices will probably surprise you. I just scanned the ads at Kingsnake.com and found these: Beautiful male western Shingleback skink, perfect condition, $2800.00 plus shipping. Also a female Western Banded Blue Tongue skink Perfect condition adult only $4500.00. Another ad has yearling gidgee skinks, 3 for $3100. Tiliqua multifasciata I've seen for sale once, think they were about $2500 each. It is very arguable that they shouldn't be here at all, I understand, but we certainly aren't walking into the local pet shops and picking them up.
Hots (vens) aren't as valued as they should be, but it's a small percentage of people who want them. Prices are higher than you've listed. The least expensive rattlesnake is the western diamondback, they run $350 and more. Albino praries are $500 and up, albino eastern diamondbacks are $1000 and up.
There are some death adder species available. I got four captive bred rugosus last year as
1_rugosus_16Nov08.JPG

neonates. I got them at about half price. You can check this ad for a pair of neonate rugosus -- http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=40&de=646490 -- $400. It used to be laevis you could get, they ran about the same. I have seen imported laevis adults recently for $150. But all the others you list? You about give me a heart attack showing those things off !!!

Licensing

I forgot about that. I'm not familiar with the Australian system but you're right, if it is here then it's in. There are Aus species we can't export without showing legal importation paperwork. In fact I used to work for someone who tried to export a pair of Egernia depressa that he had imported and had full documentation on. He was told by Fish & Wildlife that he would not be able to export them. He pointed out that he had the paperwork for that pair coming in, and that man telling him "no" was the person who approved and signed off on the importation. He was told that 'just because we allowed them in doesn't mean we think they are legal to export", not an exact quote but the gist of it. Since I'm on this, another person was offered three lace monitor hatchlings from Switzerland. He checked with F&W and was told there are no legal "lacies" outside of Aus. He showed them copies of the Cites paperwork and was told it was not legal paperwork. He related that to the seller and the Swiss government responded to the U.S. and said yes, it is legal. In the end my friend was told he could import them. Not trusting this, he asked for assurance they could be accepted. The answer was that it wasn't determined yet, he may be allowed to keep or the government might seize them, all they would allow was for him to buy them and bring them here, the rest would be decided later.. So the monitors stayed in Switzerland.
That isn't what you're asking about, is it? Pretty much as you said, if I have a reptile from Australia that isn't illegal. But each state has laws, and localities in the states can have further regulation. My state, Virginia, has no laws that would affect ownership of a taipan. The city I live in has no law restricting ownership. But the county (locality) five miles away from me does not allow ownership of venomous animals. So there it is illegal to have the taipan without involving the Australian origin, just that it is a ven. That also applies to taratulas, scorpions, centipedes, since they are venomous you can't own them there. The state of Georgia, a bit south of me, wouldn't allow the taipan because only native venomous can be owned there. However, in Georgia, it is legal to have the Nephrurus because only exotic (non native) non venomous can be owned there.
I'm thinking two things:
1) Boy, it is getting late, I'll go to bed.
B) Christ, can't I ever shut up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back