NERVOUS snake handler

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah2009

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!
Im new to this website and im in desparate need of help.
I had neighbours that decided to move interstate and needed a "snake sitter"
THAT WAS 6 YEARS AGO!
I got myself a licence and continued to care for him and have done pretty good I think!
Phillip is a childrens python, he has never bitten. BUT I am so so so nervous handling him. over the years he has gone up to 12 months without being handled. (I know I feel terrible about it.)
Recently he escaped and I was so upset, I couldn't find him anywhere and the likely situation was he got out via a large crack in the laundry leading to under my house, I have 6 dogs out back and 3 cats out front- hes chances of survival were slim to say the least. In a turn of events about a month later I heard a man up the road (who happens to be an owner of 18 LARGE pythons) had found a small "spotted" python...surely enough IT WAS PHIL! now I have him back im still so nervous. I got him out yesterday and literally ran out the front and placed him on the grass for a walk in the sun. He was dominant for the first tme ever, I cant explain it, like he wanted to get away! he didn't strike (he didn't have time to) but he was tense.
I suppose what im after is an experienced opinion, should I ask the guy who found him to help me with handling or should I find him a new owner? I love him and hes no problem but if I don't find the courage to handle him regularly he is going to have a miserable life and I don't want that for him. I just really need some help and guidance.

He will have a happier life if you don't handle him.

Ask the guy up the road for a show and tell as far as handling goes. You’re going to have to handle that snake at some point, might want to get enough confidence to handle it without hurting the snake or yourself

If you need up get him out use a towel or something to pick him up, I use the loop free ones if I’m moving the big bitey ones out for their aviary time so their teeth dont get caught. As has already been mentioned he’s probably perfectly happy not being handled.

It seems he’s very uncertain and very scared of you. Probably because you never handled him, he probably has no confidence in how you will handle him or even hurt him.

My Darwin Python's previous owner handled him by grabbing him by the neck firmly. Snakes don’t like this, no matter how gentle you hold him by the neck, and he was very nervous of me. Now after using the following method, he is very confident around me.

What you can try is to open the enclosure for a short time, and get him used to your presence and smell. Do this daily, at least, getting closer and closer until you can touch him. Do this as much as you, and he, can take without getting him, or you, nervous. Then just touch him daily then stroking more and more until he recognizes you and just accepts you as a friendly presence that won’t hurt him. He ill probably enjoy being stroked and relax, just like my snake does.

Good luck.

A childrens python is not going to be able to do any damage even if it does bite you . You really have nothing to be afraid of . As mentioned before it will be perfectly happy not being handled anyway just feed and clean up after it . Its not like it's being neglected or starved of affection it couldn't care less if you "handle " it

Try wearing him rather than "handling"
Plan it out so he doesnt escape and just walk around the gatden or up the street for a while literally wearing him around your neck and or shoulders.
Make like a tree...something with big deep pockets.
When actually handling as you will need to ...removing and returning to and from cage be Firm But Gentle..
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back