New 6yo Stimson Female

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorrie

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have loved reading through all the forums as we like many are new to the snake biz. Have a lovely female that we bought off a breeder after researching since xmas the right snake for my 9yo boy. We have had her home for 3 days now and it has been 2.5 weeks since she fed. She spends a lot of time in her hide...most of the time actually but last night she came out on her own for a look around. Today we took the hide out for 15 mins to give her some quiet time to look around as well. We haven't handled her since Monday morning as advised by pet shop when we went to get her a rat. Breeder said she strikes well and loves her food. So we are at the point not where given she came out on her own should we attempt a feed tonight?

We are planning to take her out into a box to feed so that she doesn't start striking in the tank, if we do this when is the best time to put her back in the tank?

I just want to make sure I do the right thing by her. Any advise appreciated.

Welcome to APS, and the world of reptile keeping. :)
Don't worry about it not eating yet. You need to let your python get used to its new surroundings. A python can take up to a week to get used to a new "home". Don't handle it, or do anything, except change its water.
What are you using for heating, and how hot is the hot end of your tank?
The breeder should have also told you that Stimsons are one of the worst feeders generally. It will go off its food when it gets cooler, possibly for 6 months or so.
Wait until the weekend, and then offer the rat.

I have 2 Stimson Pythons, one male and one female, both are around 4yo and I have had them since they were little Spaghetti strings. The female eats like a steam shovel, the male doesn't. If your Python is wandering around the enclosure, she is getting used to the place so this is good. Soon she will be looking for food, I let mine know that I am there and move my fingers across glass to see if they follow or come out to investigate, if they do they get fed. Normally, feeding is 7 to 10 days which seems about right. When the weather gets cooler, she might go off her food, mine did for 6 months and got angry when I tried to feed her. I was pretty worried but found out that it is normal, I tend to feel that they go off food when they are juveniles and becoming adults. When you start to handle her, give her and hour or so fairly often so you build up a relationship. She will get used to your smell and eventually come to the door to come out. I pat mine on the back to let them know that I am there, they then start to come out. I found that smooth and confident hand movements so they don't feel threatened is best, find a coil of snake and lift her that way. I would imagine at 9yo she would be pretty used to being handled, do you know her history? By far the Stimson is the easiest Snake to look after, they are quite hardy and don't have many problems which makes them the perfect first Snake. They live for 20years or so, so you will have her for a long while. Welcome to the world of Snakes Lorrie, you will enjoy learning about you new family member.

Thank so much for the help guys. Well it turns out she was shedding. She did actually take the large mouse mid shed! Her eyes were clear and then 48 hours later she shed like a champion. She is perfectly happy now. My new issue is getting the heat right but I will post a new post for that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back