New Australian Snake Field Guide for iPhone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has gone up in the other sections of the forum...

As the thread title says, a new field guide for the snakes of australia in APP form!

There are multiple photos of many of species showing the high level of variation seen in many species of snakes (seldom documented in regular field guides).

There's also a cool scale count ID function.

Check it out, there are some great images in there (some are mine! :)).

Snakes of Australia for iPhone | Ug Media

disclaimer: I stand to gain nothing by the sale of this app- my photos are in it because I thought it was a cool idea- the reason I'm posting about it here.

Any chance of an android version?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

Any chance of an android version?

Hahaha. Android always makes me laugh. Apple haters always talk em up, problem is things like this don't work on android :p

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like a great app Henry. Well done to all those involved.

This looks like a great app Henry. Well done to all those involved.

It's taken quite a while to get to this point. I sent photos through ages ago!

Hahaha. Android always makes me laugh. Apple haters always talk em up, problem is things like this don't work on android :p

As far as I'm aware, it's a big pain in the hole and a lot of work to convert it over to Android.
Sightings, another handy Ugmedia app, is also only on iPhone.

-Henry

When you have extensive knowledge of how to use everything both phones have to offer, you'll find that iphones are garbage.

Then again iphones are good if you only want to do the basics and not have a million restrictions.

I got a galaxy s2 over an iPhone 4s because it had a bigger screen, better camera and more rigid construction. Although the last point doesn't matter if you have an otterbox case. I also heavily use Google services like maps and Gmail and the android phones work better with these. On the flip side I do notice the iPads and iPhones are noticeably faster and less laggy than my s2 and galaxy tab. They are also more expensive.
It all comes down to personal preference more than anything.

When you have extensive knowledge of how to use everything both phones have to offer, you'll find that iphones are garbage.

Then again iphones are good if you only want to do the basics and not have a million restrictions.

LOL.. but it still doesnt give you these apps...hmmmm
Iphones does all that I need. I cant imagine anything else I'd want my phone to do. What is it exactly that you can do on android that iphone doesn't do? There are no restrictions for me, but I have jail broken my iphone. I love seeing all these android fan boys come out of the woodwork. This thread is about a great app one that android cant use. Sounds like there are some restrictions to android after all.
What do android users do for sightings app? Where you record the exact gps location, species, time etc of reptiles you find herping.

Ah, I'm sure it'll end up in android platform- just not right now.

I use the iPhone field guides a lot, even if it is the sub-standard Morecombe bird field guide, I use it more than the superior guides because I can't fit them in my pocket.

-H

LOL.. but it still doesnt give you these apps...hmmmm
Iphones does all that I need. I cant imagine anything else I'd want my phone to do. What is it exactly that you can do on android that iphone doesn't do? There are no restrictions for me, but I have jail broken my iphone. I love seeing all these android fan boys come out of the woodwork. This thread is about a great app one that android cant use. Sounds like there are some restrictions to android after all.
What do android users do for sightings app? Where you record the exact gps location, species, time etc of reptiles you find herping.

I think you could use an app called evernote

Oh and here is a great video on the silliness of brand loyalty.
Brand Loyalty - A Dose of Buckley - YouTube

I have had apple iphone since about 6months after they were released.. about 4 months ago i got a galaxy note2....... :(

laggy
get the message unexpected error all the time
small things bug me like not being able to just save photos and stuff off facebook
no integrated program to keep my music in order
can get viruses very easy
plastic construction
hard to update ( kept starting an update over wifi then stopping )

only pro is a bigger screen and adobie and flash.. thats it.
ill be going back if the 6 is good..

Let me tell you, most fanboys will tell you that you have to download this app or that app to fix the problem you are having with your android..

well jailbreak and you have the problems sorted also..

iphone is much better quality and there is good reptile apps like this one..

sorry, thats border line off topic.

Last edited:
I have had apple iphone since about 6months after they were released.. about 4 months ago i got a galaxy note2....... :(

laggy
get the message unexpected error all the time
small things bug me like not being able to just save photos and stuff off facebook
no integrated program to keep my music in order
can get viruses very easy
plastic construction
hard to update ( kept starting an update over wifi then stopping )

only pro is a bigger screen and adobie and flash.. thats it.
ill be going back if the 6 is good..

Let me tell you, most fanboys will tell you that you have to download this app or that app to fix the problem you are having with your android..

well jailbreak and you have the problems sorted also..

iphone is much better quality and there is good reptile apps like this one..

sorry, thats border line off topic.

How did you get a virus on a phone?

I love the whole fan boy thing. People building up what-ever product they own so that they can create a greater sense of self worth. Its doesn't really matter as long as it does what you need.

I've tried the app in question and felt that it didn't satisfy my needs. I still see it as a good app though, it just wasn't suitable for myself. I now use another app that records all herps with temp, humidity, moon, cloud data, as well as a few other features.

How did you get a virus on a phone?
I doubt that he did, I think he is repeating something he heard 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back