New Bearded Dragon owner needs help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the US, just realized how this board is for Australia....I was researching again last night and this board seemed to be the only one that had real info, not nasty people so I joined without really reading the title, and the replies I got so fast proved I was right. In the US we dont need licenses to have bearded dragons. And I am hired to clean out the house, once the lock is on the door and the company hires me, everything inside is mine. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose...

I thought you might be overseas ;) This site is for anyone who keeps australian reptiles so although most of us are in Australia, there are several people from the US, UK, mainland Europe and even Asia. The point is you are more than welcome here TeeCee.

For all us Aussie's when TeeCee says 'peppers' she means capsicum

It is ok to take her outside (if fact sunlight is the best sorce of UV) but be sure that she can choose to go into the shade if she feels too hot, and don't leave her unattended unless you have a safe outdoor enclosure with hot and cold areas that she can't get out of. A reptile can die of overheating very quickly.

In regards to water, some BD won't drink from standing water so may need to be misted or water dripped onto nose to get them to drink

I don't have any experience with Bearded Dragons, so I won't offer advice.
I will speculate though that she may have been "cuddling up" because all of a sudden a giant WARM thing(that didn't look like it was going to eat her) came along and picked her up after being trapped inside a COLD tank for a long time?

Anyway, best of luck with Alice, glad to see she was a lucky little lizard to have someone who cares come along in time. Shame about George though:(

Before I get critisized let me start from the beginning....

I clean out forclosure houses for a living. I went to one particular house and while cleaning it out, found a double cage with two bearded dragons. One was dead and the other in the cage was just scooted in the corner. I have no idea how long they were there for.....water and food dishes empty, no power in the house...but at least it was summer time.

I cleaned out the cages....took the live one home and have her set up....my problem is how do I properly care for her....

There are so many conflicting stories....about feeding, watering, bathing, temperature...

When I first picked her up, she tucked into my neck and just almost settled...she loves being cuddled...but, I want to make sure I am doing everything right....I have fallen in love with her....

So please help me....

You are an angel. GOod on you for taking care of this lovely dragon and reaching out to us for advice. All the best. Chris1 has answered perfectly on the first page. Let us know how you go and if you have any questions just ask :)

Good luck with her! She's lucky she was found by someone like you. :)

Do be careful with heat rocks, by the way - they're often not recommended as they can sometimes cause burns.

If you take her outside be very careful, as beardies can really put on a burst of speed if they want, and if you're not somewhere escape-proof you may never see her again...

I haven't read all the posts (yet) but it is my understanding the OP is in USA...

And because of that she most likely doesn't have a Bunnings near by...

She prob doesn't know what 30, 45 temps are!
(they use Fahrenheit over there)

And she may not need a licence either!

And therefore, the idea of calling RSPCA or thinking it's a wild caught and should be returned to wild:( may not apply here...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Why would anyone criticise you? It's an amazing thing you've done. Sorry I don't have advice. (i was just looking for advice on keeping beardies as a first lizard and this came up) Just thought I'd comment to say you have done a great thing. I get so annoyed at people who have the selfishness and ignorance to treat an animal like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok sorry my post was kind of useless but yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back