New Bird Eating Spider

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalist

Reaction score
Couple of question on my new Bird Eating Spider she is a half grown female enclosure is 30x30x20 cm terrarium with a screen lid I have about 8 cm of Kritter Krumble in the bottom.
Question 1. She does not burrow hides in the corner during the day and roams about tank at night. I have put some tunnels made of old clay pots she is not interested in hiding in these either.
Question 2. How much heat can they tolerate as we are having a heat wave in a Melbourne lasting five days with temps in low to mid forties every day. Even with Air Con I can only get the tank to between 25-30 c.

You need to use a fine substrate that she can burrow in. I use peat brick (without fertiliser), sphagnum moss and sand mixture to half the depth of the enclosure. I also use a false floor set up to ensure the appropriate humidity. A screen lid will not hold humidity (and this is vital) so you need to replace it with glass.

I recommend you look at the Australian Invertebrate Forum (AIF). There are lots of care sheets, set up info and good advice for keeping inverts.

Good luck with it. Tarantulas are excellent pets if they're looked after.

The heat is not a major issue, the humidity is.

I use coco peat, mine like to burrow. And yea as [MENTION=26441]SteveNT[/MENTION] said u need a better lid tht will help give and hold the humidity.also tht site he mentioned is really helpful

Tht site will have all u need to know.but ild get rid of ur substrate 2mrw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back