New Bredli - Advice Needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulo

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys,

We have our first snake – a female bredli python – bought from a pet store about a month ago.

According to the supplied record card she hatched 03.03.16 (but first recorded feed was 28.11.16??) – so not sure how accurate these records are?

She’s about 60cm now..

She was in a timber hatchling enclosure 45x29x15 for the first few weeks – but this seemed small (and I was having trouble regulating temperature in this enclosure..)

Not sure if I’ve jumped the gun, but moved her into a Reptile one vivarium 60 x 45 x 45, with the following:

· 7 watt heat mat – on glass part of base – on all the time at full power

· 100W + 50W ceramic heaters (placed on mesh cover at top) – controlled by microclimate b1me thermostat

· 5.0 UVB tube (on for approx. 6 hours a day)

· Thermometers (at each ‘end’ of the enclosure)

· 3 x hides/caves + climbing branch

· Water bowl

· Kritters crumble – (course) as substrate

She seems to be happy – handles very well and is very friendly – about 5 mins per day at the moment (except for after feeding..)

Feeding well as far as I can tell– 1 x fuzzy mouse each 7 days – but have increased this to 5 days (as fuzzy seems small .. have 5 more left – then will switch to weaner mice 1 per 7 days..

We’ve been reading up as much as we can – and bought ‘Guide to Aus pythons in captivity’ – which is helpful.

A few extra few questions if someone can help:

1. Re the temp control – given the size of the enclosure it is difficult to provide a warm side and cool side (I have a thermometer on each end – but they are only about 1 degree c apart..) –The thermometers are currently reading 30.4 on right side and 29.3 on the left side.. and about 35 on the substrate where the heat mat is What temp should I be aiming for in the ‘middle’ of the enclosure? (I believe I meant to provide about 31 (but this assumes a warm side and a cooler side in a larger enclosure)

2. I’m using 2 x ceramic heaters (1 x 50W + 1 x 100W) – but the temp wont go any higher (the thermostat is set to 29 and the heating light is on constantly) - should i reduce ventilation at top (may be covering some of the mesh with mdf?

3. Is there any issue with connecting both heaters to the same thermostat using double adaptor?

4. Should the heat mat also be connected to the thermostat?

Sorry for the long post – just wanting as much as advice as possible

Any other comments or advice on the setup would also be appreciated

I will try to add some photos

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

IMG_7072.JPG

IMG_7137.JPG

IMG_7139.JPG

So I would get a larger dome and use a higher wattage globe
I use the 100 watts on my 2x2x2s and the 1 gets it to 32 degrees during the day and I drop it to 28 at night (this is for a 2 Yr old animal and my tanks are in the garage)

I leave all my hatchies in tubs till there a good size as I find they do much better

That prey is way to small for her!!
Did you by any chance get her from Kellyville pets? As I find they feed them small prey so they don't grow quickly, I got an 18th Murray Darling from them who was being fed an adult mouse sparingly I got her on rats and she's doubled in size closer to tripled since I got her!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I would get a larger dome and use a higher wattage globe
I use the 100 watts on my 2x2x2s and the 1 gets it to 32 degrees during the day and I drop it to 28 at night (this is for a 2 Yr old animal and my tanks are in the garage)

I leave all my hatchies in tubs till there a good size as I find they do much better

That prey is way to small for her!!
Did you by any chance get her from Kellyville pets? As I find they feed them small prey so they don't grow quickly, I got an 18th Murray Darling from them who was being fed an adult mouse sparingly I got her on rats and she's doubled in size closer to tripled since I got her!!

Thanks for the quick reply & advice kittycat

Yep you guessed it kellyville pets - and i suspected the prey may be too small (and this is why i started feeding 5 day intervals instead of 7 as suggested by them..)

Think i'll try the weaner mice next feed
Cheers

All good!! :D

You can give her 2 in the next feed as well or even go up a size and give her 1 of each :)
My girl cookie has grown really quickly, so you may be worth trying her on fuzzie rats instead? :)

Good to see someone doing thorough research, you've got almost everything spot on.

There's some great replies on here, I also agree with them.
For decor maybe add some fake plants? The exoterra ones look really nice and are great for reptiles to hide in.
When you run out of mice try switching to rats if you can, just easier to feed rats down the road when she's bigger.
The terrarium you have her in now is fine as long as there are plenty of hide spots.

The reason why you are having trouble with the gradient is because I suspect there is too many heating sources over the enclosure, and it's heating the whole thing, if the heat mat is getting the best temps i'd honestly just go with that, and just plug it into the thermostat. A single heat mat should give you a gradient.
If you do decide to stick with a light, make sure there is a branch or something close (but not touching the top) under the light, so she can climb up and heat up.
As long as you get the hotspot of 30-32 on hot side and a mid to low 20's on the other side you're good, don't worry about a middle temp. I'd recommend a infrared heat gun, since they are very accurate at measuring temps, more so than a thermometer.
To help with the heat gradient try to increase ventilation on the cool side, should help :)
Also on a final note, UVB/UV isn't needed for snakes, feel free to use it if you like, but it can save you $40 or so just to get a normal lighting tube.

@kittycat17 may be wrong here, but just had a thought, wouldn't a larger heat dome just heat the whole enclosure? I feel that the tank is too small to be putting something like that over possibly more than half of the lid. Would it still get the gradient?

Last edited by a moderator:
@kittycat17 may be wrong here, but just had a thought, wouldn't a larger heat dome just heat the whole enclosure? I feel that the tank is too small to be putting something like that over possibly more than half of the lid. Would it still get the gradient?

Yes you are correct :) I just prefer my young ones to have more heat than less :)

Many thanks for the replies & suggestions guys.

Re the heating situation - yes i take your point about there being too many heat sources..

As far as i can tell though (and noting i'm only new to this..) when using the thermostat - i need to connect it to either a heat mat (with the probe in the substrate) OR connect it another heat source (and have the probe in the 'mid' section of the enclosure).

With this size enclosure i don't think the heat mat alone would provide sufficient heat (except in the substrate above the mat..)

Plan is to continue using the heat mat (on full time) & have the 100w ceramic heater (connected to the thermostat) on the same side as the heat mat.

This should provide some sort of gradient..

Will check with a heat gun and let you know..

I did consider the larger dome, but it would covers the majority of the mesh cover and wouldn't allow for light tube..

Re the lighting - Im using the uvb tube as i had one left over from a previous turtle tank - will consider standard tube next time.
Any yes will get some fake plants in there

Thanks again
Cheers

Quick update - have removed the smaller dome and now have some sort of gradient (warm side about 32 at the branch, 34 in substrate right above heat mat and 25 on the cool side).. - Which sounds about right?

Had first shed last week and still feeding well
Cheers

Another update.. started feeding weaner mice .. better size but could probably handle a little bigger? (fuzzy rats maybe?)

Also updated the enclosure (added 3d rock background - attached with silicone so it wont move) & screwed climbing branch to side wall so she has something stable to climb on. Thoughts ?

Temps seem about right now. 34 on top of branch, 32 top of rock ledge, 25 at substrate (cool side), 30 on substrate (warm side)..

Cheers
IMG_7571.JPG IMG_7579.JPG IMG_7581.JPG

Looks great, no harm in trying a fuzzie rat!
I find they grow so much quicker on rats :)

Thanks. Will try fuzzie rats next (still have about 8 weaner mice left).
Was planning on using them up - one every 6 or 7 days?..

Cheers

You can do 2 in a go :) but no rush hahaa

I also have a female Bredli of the same age and I have her on hopper rats 1 x week. I just use a heat mat regulated by an Ecotech thermostat which sits at 31 degrees which does a pretty good job at creating a gradient.

Hope this helps :)

I also have a female Bredli of the same age and I have her on hopper rats 1 x week. I just use a heat mat regulated by an Ecotech thermostat which sits at 31 degrees which does a pretty good job at creating a gradient.

Hope this helps :)
Yes - that does help. - thanks. Will be upgrading to rats next time i buy food.

Thanks again guys for the great advice. Has all been taken on board.

Got some fuzzy rats + 10day old quails..

Have fed 1 of each (7 days apart) - she seemed to love both. The quail though looked like it barely touched the sides..

My questions:

1. what feeding intervals should i be aiming for (5 days, 7 days 10 days,, more?)
2. does the feeding interval change for smaller prey (e.g. rat seems like a bigger meal than the quail)?

She is still handling very well.. and seems to be doing great - just looks hungry.
I'm wary of over (and under) feeding - hence the questions

Cheers

No matter the prey item I always feed hatchies every 7 days :)
You can go 4-5 but it's easier for me to do 7 :)
I wouldn't bother with the quails if it's not a good size meal for her imo I only really feed birds as a treat or for bad feeder animals :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back