New Camera and New Techniques

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Egernia

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I wasn't sure which topic to put this under. Even though there's reptiles in this post it more so leans towards photography. I finally got a new camera and here's some of the results. I'm loving it so far. I've been experimenting with artificial lighting in a studio setting (albeit a makeshift one with whatever bits and bobs I can find). Well, without further adieu here's some photos!

Dusk Panorama by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Fire in the Trees by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Motorbike Frog (Litoria moorei) by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Striker (Morelia imbricata) by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

All the above photos were taken in natural lighting. The below photos are in the "Studio". I'm attempting to be creative here.

Mourning Goanna (Varanus tristis tristis) by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Open Wide (Egernia kingii) by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Deep in Blue by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Above is Striker under two different lighting techniques.

Pilbara Black Headed Python (Aspidites melanocephalus) by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Pilbara Black Headed Python (Aspidites melanocephalus) by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

And lastly, some of my latest photos. A Black Headed Python. Don't worry, this snake's not mine. It belongs to a friend but I was all too happy photographing it. I'm slowly learning about lighting and I believe I'm getting closer to finding what best works for me.

Anyway I enjoy taking photos, especially of reptiles. While my photos aren't professional, would people like to have professional photos taken of their pet reptiles? Or is that mainly restricted to furry pets?

Hi everyone.

I wasn't sure which topic to put this under. Even though there's reptiles in this post it more so leans towards photography. I finally got a new camera and here's some of the results. I'm loving it so far. I've been experimenting with artificial lighting in a studio setting (albeit a makeshift one with whatever bits and bobs I can find). Well, without further adieu here's some photos!

Dusk Panorama by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Fire in the Trees by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Motorbike Frog (Litoria moorei) by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

All the above photos were taken in natural lighting. The below photos are in the "Studio". I'm attempting to be creative here.

Mourning Goanna (Varanus tristis tristis) by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Open Wide (Egernia kingii) by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Deep in Blue by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Above is Striker under two different lighting techniques.

And lastly, some of my latest photos. A Black Headed Python. Don't worry, this snake's not mine. It belongs to a friend but I was all too happy photographing it. I'm slowly learning about lighting and I believe I'm getting closer to finding what best works for me.

Anyway I enjoy taking photos, especially of reptiles. While my photos aren't professional, would people like to have professional photos taken of their pet reptiles? Or is that mainly restricted to furry pets?
Lovely pictures! What gear are you using? I’ve been seriously thinking about getting a new DSLR and these have egged me on even more!

Lovely pictures! What gear are you using? I’ve been seriously thinking about getting a new DSLR and these have egged me on even more!

Thanks Stompsy. The camera's a Canon EOS 800D. For my earlier photos I mainly used bounced light from the ceiling. I even used the regular camera flash, diffusing the light with a sheet of white paper! The BHP photos were done with cheap continuous softbox lights. As for getting the reflection I used a piece of glass, nicked from one of my enclosures, laid out on black fabric. Ideally I would've liked to have used a sheet of black acrylic but I don't currently have one at this stage. I'm missing a lot of the high end gear so I have to be creative.

If you're into photography, Stompsy, I'd say go for it. But I'll tell you this - what others have told me countless times before; it's not the camera or the gear, it's the person behind the camera.

Don't undersell yourself. I've seen professional photos not as good as the ones above.

Thanks pinefamily, I'm very happy to hear that. It would be awesome if I could sell a few photos, but I'm just not sure if anyone would be interested.

Those first two are photographic competition winners, especially the second one! Blown up they would look amazing.

Wow, you really think so Scutellatus? Thanks!

Thanks Stompsy. The camera's a Canon EOS 800D. For my earlier photos I mainly used bounced light from the ceiling. I even used the regular camera flash, diffusing the light with a sheet of white paper! The BHP photos were done with cheap continuous softbox lights. As for getting the reflection I used a piece of glass, nicked from one of my enclosures, laid out on black fabric. Ideally I would've liked to have used a sheet of black acrylic but I don't currently have one at this stage. I'm missing a lot of the high end gear so I have to be creative.

If you're into photography, Stompsy, I'd say go for it. But I'll tell you this - what others have told me countless times before; it's not the camera or the gear, it's the person behind the camera
Very true! I had a DSLR when I lived in Townsville but never got as creative as you have to get those gorgeous shots. When I did have it, I had 4 lenses and that’s about it. I’d love to get another Nikon and a macro lens and really start taking it seriously. Might have to start saving!

Bloody awesome Kayla. Might invite you to come and do some pics of my animals. Quite talented if I may say so.

Thanks Paul. That may not be a bad idea. I was toying with the idea of visiting a family member over east, and while I was there I was thinking that maybe I can take pictures of everyone's critters. There's a few species that I would love to have in my personal album. Would anyone be interested?

Very talented indeed, them first couple of sunset pics are deffo worth being blown up and exhibited somewhere, you should be very proud of all of them

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

We don't have anything unusual but I would be very disappointed if we weren't on your visit list if you make it to Melbourne Kayla.

Will keep that in mind Paul. Don't know about Melbourne as my sister's in NSW but if I get enough people interested I might be able to sort something out.

They don't have to be unusual or the prettiest critters out there (that's all subject to personal preference anyway), so long as they're not flighty individuals that stress easily. Preferably they're freshly shed as well. You'll get the best results with freshly shed critters.

Really great photographs. As I have said before, you have a real talent for composition. I would suspect it is a natural gift for it that you have honed to a high degree through trial and error and by being very critical and analytic of your efforts. What is also clearly in evidence is your degree of competence in using a Digital SLR – no mean feat in any language. The quality of the pics you have reproduced here is of a professional standard and you are only going to get better, especially with your already well advanced portraiture. Thanks for sharing and I wish you well if you decide go down the professional photography track. You clearly have a real talent for it Kayla!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back