new croc tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adelherper

Reaction score
finally my croc has his new tank with lots swimming room what you think

Attachments

• DSC00691.jpg
    DSC00691.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 544
Nice!, and what are the dimensions of the tank? I had a 4x2 foot tank made for an eventual Croc but I think that would be too small. Anyone's thoughts?

What are the growth rates of crocs? Surely that setup won't last him long?
kept under optimal conditions a saltie can reach 1.9 metres at two years old and at ten years can be double that again.

marcmarc, Parks and Wildlife want 6ft tank as a minimum. I would not recomend putting them in anything smaller than a six footer either.

This is a freshie so it grows slower than a saltie, but I would say it would last in that tank for another 2 to 2.5 years.

adelherper- you have UV and basking lights right?

Nice setup..... but out of interest (and ignorance), how do you house a croc when it gets to 1-1.5m plus? An outdoor fenced pit? Converted pool?!

Thanks for the info, I will do more research before I get serious with this.

marcmarc, Parks and Wildlife want 6ft tank as a minimum. I would not recomend putting them in anything smaller than a six footer either.

This is a freshie so it grows slower than a saltie, but I would say it would last in that tank for another 2 to 2.5 years.

adelherper- you have UV and basking lights right?

Nice setup..... but out of interest (and ignorance), how do you house a croc when it gets to 1-1.5m plus? An outdoor fenced pit? Converted pool?!

Yep, thats what we're planning on doing with our salty at least. For the record our little guy is currently kept in a 4 foot enclosure and he does fine it it..

Fantastic new set up, looks amazing.

hey guys i do have uv and basking spot they on hood thats gettin made as wespeak
the tank is 5ft by 18in
freshies can take 10 yrs top grow 2 meters and it all depends on how much you feed etc my little bloke is just over a year and he bout 400mm

hey guys i do have uv and basking spot they on hood thats gettin made as wespeak
the tank is 5ft by 18in
freshies can take 10 yrs top grow 2 meters and it all depends on how much you feed etc my little bloke is just over a year and he bout 400mm

Salty's can also take up 6 years to get to 1.5m,depending on feeding and sex of the individual animal

There is a shop in Adelaide here with a 11 year old salty that is not even 1.5metres. I think it is underfed a bit, I also have not seen any basking lights in the tank any time I have been in the shop, and the UV lights are over a meter from the croc so its probably not even receiving any useful UV light.

Funny how they grow at different rates. My freshie is only 10-11months old and just touching 550mm. I think I may have a male as I have heard it rumble and groan a few times, but only adults do that? I will have to get it X-rayed to be positive.

haha @ adelherper, i got the same fluro batten fitting for my croc tank.

you dont actually have to have uv they can and do live fine with out them

There is a shop in Adelaide here with a 11 year old salty that is not even 1.5metres. I think it is underfed a bit, I also have not seen any basking lights in the tank any time I have been in the shop, and the UV lights are over a meter from the croc so its probably not even receiving any useful UV light.

Funny how they grow at different rates. My freshie is only 10-11months old and just touching 550mm. I think I may have a male as I have heard it rumble and groan a few times, but only adults do that? I will have to get it X-rayed to be positive.

haha @ adelherper, i got the same fluro batten fitting for my croc tank.

you dont actually have to have uv they can and do live fine with out them

+1 on them not requiring UV. We have a suspected male Salty and he has only grown about 3cm in the time we have owned him. You'll probably find that there is more than likely a reason why the croc is only 1.5m at that age. More than likely because its female and also because its not fed everyday, which they shouldn't be. Adult crocs only need to eat a couple of times a year, what does that say for the youngins, which is why ours only gets fed once every 3 weeks or so.

i feed mine mayb once a week but have few feeder fish swimming around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back