new enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zicarus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok so i got my new enclosure its all glass H41xW30xD30 cm. it has a vent at the front and one at the top, i have put polly styreene on the back and sides. Put a 50w heat lamp on top and on the underneath a 15w heat cord 2m in length covering 3/4 on the out side.
With these combined i can keep a steady 31c and drop it to 28c over night the heat light and cord are plugged into the same thermostat. I have aspen covering the bottom about 2"-3 deep, i still have to make the back and sides like ive seen in the DIY section. So by having it set up like this if i have a climb this would mean that if my bredli wanted more warmth he could move up and if he wanted to cool down then head to the bottom of the tank.Im going to run the tank for about a week and check the temps, but so far the thermostat i got seems to work really well and i have a lot of options later down the track if i decide.
So for a bredli does this sound like i have done what i need to keep him happy?

Doing this on the work computer ill try and edit and attach a pic of the viv.
20130810_104016.jpg

Attachments

• 20130810_104016.jpg
    20130810_104016.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Your bredli will out grow that in 6 months

Yeah i know its just a temp tank i didnt opt for the click clack went this instead dont plan on keeping him in there for long we will be getting one built when he gets too big for this one, and transfering all the gear to the next one ( light thermostat,)

I hate to be a killjoy or try and burst your bubble but did you think about what would happen when the little balls of polystyrene started falling into the Aspen from your little one rubbing the edges of it or even when putting anything in or taking out of the enclosure, i don't think it will do your Bredli much good if ingested or breathed into its nose. JMO those polystyrene sheets should have ideally been on the outside not inside, If you are going to leave it inside i would suggest you paint the edges of it with a non toxic water based paint to hold it together, otherwise nice setup :) .................................Ron

Heat cord + 50 watt heat lamp seems a little over-kill to me in such a small enclosure...

I dunno, glass enclosures cop a lot of flak however i've never had an issue keeping stable temps in a 60 X 40 X 40 glass exo-terra with a 60 watt heat emitter. I have a strong 31-33c basking ledge and leave the rest ambient. So many people talk about needing to cover the sides with polystyrene to keep the heat in, but to be honest I've just never found the need. That said, i do live in NSW, i can understand that there may be an issue in cooler areas.

Did you give the set up a try without the polystyrene and heat cord at all? You might be surprised by the results.

I understand why people go for these types of setups, they want something a bit nicer to look at than a click clack but in my opinion you cant beat the tried, tested and proven method of keeping a young snake in a click clack. You may have no problems with this set up, might work fine for you but there have been quite a few recent cases of people finding their snake going off food etc when kept in one of these. I don't quite understand how the snake has a cool spot if you've got heat cord covering 3/4 of the bottom, running off the same thermostat as the heat lamp. 31 day to 28 overnight measured where? Have you measured top and bottom to see if theres a temp gradient? I doubt there is much of a difference.
Sorry if I sound harsh but in my opinion just make a simple click clack and get your bredli settled and feeding until its at least 12 months before worrying about a bigger enclosure.

we had a similar tank for our juvi beardies and I used the foam On the Outside !! . also ( not a bredli owner ) but I might like something to climb .

Going to an Experienced person from the start makes a big difference , And listening to them , And doing what they have told/ suggested you do are very important things . When we restarted in the hobby with our daughters interests we made sure she did just that .

So we saved up bought the enclosure with heat and light , and a click-clack to go inside the enclosure . Before our snake was 'released into the enclosure we upgraded the click-clack a few times and when finally positive that our snake was large enough Not to fit through the light cage and fry we introduced him to his big world enclosure . 5 years later he and his family are still very happy . And remember that it may well be your first snake ,but it probably wont be your only one . So getting it right the first time with as much input from others is the best start .

Good luck .

I hate to be a killjoy or try and burst your bubble but did you think about what would happen when the little balls of polystyrene started falling into the Aspen from your little one rubbing the edges of it or even when putting anything in or taking out of the enclosure, i don't think it will do your Bredli much good if ingested or breathed into its nose. JMO those polystyrene sheets should have ideally been on the outside not inside, If you are going to leave it inside i would suggest you paint the edges of it with a non toxic water based paint to hold it together, otherwise nice setup :) .................................Ron

This is just on trial for about a week im not leaving the sides bare foam im going to cover them in grout like ppl have in the DIY section.
There were 2 reasons why we opted for this enclosure 1 yes it looks better than a click-clack but more importantly i have a 11yr old son stays with me and a 6yr old girl that visit each weekend the enclosure is lockable and stops the temptation of opening it i don't care if they get bitten but more the safety of my snake.
As for temps i have hung the probe top, middle and bottom and it does vary in temp it is cooler at the bottom because of the vent in the front the heat cord can be removed/unplugged. and having all glass isnt an option like someone said, being in Vic i got up this morning all heat was turned off and the thermostat said it was 14c and i have tried it without the foam.

We ran thru different vivs and ideas at Amazing Amazon, i didn't purchase my snake the other day i could have but wanted to set it up right get temps right also come here for advice as i said ill run it for a week until happy if not ill delay on the purchase. If i cant get it to work and i have to got the click-clack option then i will and get a bigger viv built and put the click-clack in there.
Ill take pics of the difference of temps top middle and bottom.

maybe throw some climbing vines in there. I'd get rid of the foam and just stick some cardboard on the outside. The snake needs to feel secure and safe thats the main thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back