Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I'm into saving money were I can so here is my new project we knocked this out today so here it is.
1A12B8A8-F212-4861-9868-4D1A225C4B28-201-00000010D227E7B7_zpsc02cf0c7.jpg

Bottom an sides Being secured.
1AAB6AC5-6E0F-429F-B64A-0AAA64B49350-201-00000010D9A38794_zpsca2d2297.jpg

Sides, back, Bottom in place.
40D560CC-36D8-4DF4-BB18-B31B21C8CFBF-201-00000010E0C7846A_zpsf6850b2d.jpg

Basking Lamp 150w $9 bunnings Special.
3D9C6054-7789-4AC9-8032-2D1168571944-201-00000010F0A29A38_zps18159454.jpg

Enclosure built Testing the Light. Needing doors now.
EFD13195-34C2-4572-B225-6F281ED0F365-201-0000001DE74FAEDA_zps29d03577.jpg

Great work :D I like it.

One quick tip: run a bead of silicone around the inside joins to prevent moisture (aka poop) from seeping in.

Can't wait to see it finished!

Awesome :D What species is going in there?

+1 with the silicone as Lawra mentioned

1) Is it waterproof
2) How are you controlling the temp
3) Don't forget Vents
4) The light going on and off will drive you nuts, (if on a thermostat, and if not how are you controlling temp when light is off)
5) Thinking that it is for Bearded Dragons. If it is far a snake you will need a cage around the light to prevent them burning themselves on the bulb
6) a raised lip at the front to keep the substrate inside the enclosure is always a good idea.

Also add a section of material to the top so that the top doesn't sag - as it is already. This sag will pinch the glass panels and make them hard to open.

Also as I assume this will have sliding glass, I recommend the use of finger grips for the glass. This will ensure you greatly minimise the occurrence of finger/hand smudges meaning that you don't have to clean the glass as often (if at all) and they look good too - Shop | Virides

Here are a couple of examples:

The Pogona
pogona_studio_zps4174f423.jpg

The Aspidites
Aspidites_zps90df9c28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
ok temp control is a thermostat, Snake Woma Python, thanks for the silicon advice I will do that tomorrow, Door Dual Doors Opening Out wards Glass inlays. And Locked to prevent my little Girl Playing with the Snakes. The temp when tested today stayed at around 30.5c I'm told this is ok? It is a Laminated Mdf board that's water Resistant.
cheers for the support.

Hey,
ok temp control is a thermostat, Snake Woma Python, thanks for the silicon advice I will do that tomorrow, Door Dual Doors Opening Out wards Glass inlays. And Locked to prevent my little Girl Playing with the Snakes. The temp when tested today stayed at around 30.5c I'm told this is ok? It is a Laminated Mdf board that's water Resistant.
cheers for the support.

Womas need a hotter warm side, I keep mine at 34 degrees. Make sure you have a good temp gradient and vents (low on hot side, high on cool side) and invest in a hygrometer - it's worth it!

Other than that... I'd suggest getting a red bulb or CHE. White light are for lizards, not pythons.

Edit: Just one woma is going in there... Right? :)

Hey,
cheers for the support.

Don't forget, the temp will be affected once the doors are on. Best to set the thermostat up well to take care of that :)

And as above, ventilation for the enclosure and caging for any globes are a must.

Good luck with the build :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's a big enclosure 4-2-2 I haven't finished yet lol. I'm hoping the local authority let me upgrade soon so I can get some King Browns, Death Adders, Tigers. When I upgrade to that licence The cages will have 2 door locks Top bar an bottom bar to hold the doors shut incase. Those will have padlocks attached.

It's a big enclosure 4-2-2 I haven't finished yet lol. I'm hoping the local authority let me upgrade soon so I can get some King Browns, Death Adders, Tigers. When I upgrade to that licence The cages will have 2 door locks Top bar an bottom bar to hold the doors shut incase. Those will have padlocks attached.

We're almost done with two 1200x 900 x 600's. It's very rewarding to build yourself :)

Please forgive my ignorance, what are the requirements for upgrade (licence I assume)?

In Vic I can keep all those species on my advanced licence and have never held a basic licence, just paid a higher fee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:facepalm:
Okidoki :facepalm:

Last edited:
REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS THAT MAY BE KEPT AS PETS :-
Category 1 No species.
Category 2
Egernia napoleonis South-Western Crevice Egernia
Gehyra variegata Tree Dtella
Heteronotia binoei Binoe’s Gecko
Litoria caerulea Northern Green Tree Frog
Litoria moorei Western Green Tree Frog
Pogona minor minor Western Bearded Dragon
Strophurus ciliaris Northern Spiny-tailed Gecko
Strophurus spinigerus South-west Spiny-tailed Gecko
Tiliqua multifasciata Centralian Bluetongue
Tiliqua occipitalis Western Bluetongue
Tiliqua rugosa rugosa Bobtail

Category 3
Antaresia stimsoni Stimson’s Python
Chelodina oblonga Oblong Tortoise
Ctenophorus reticulatus Western Netted Dragon
Egernia kingii King Skink
Litoria splendida Magnificent Tree Frog
Morelia spilota imbricata South-western Carpet Python
Nephrurus levis Three-lined Knob-tailed Gecko
Oedura marmorata Marbled Velvet Gecko
Underwoodisaurus milii Thick-tailed Gecko
Varanus caudolineatus Stripe-tailed Pygmy Monitor
Category 4
Antaresia perthensis Pygmy Python
Aspidites melanocephalus Black-headed python
Aspidites ramsayi Woma Python
Chelodina steindachneri Flat-shelled Turtle
Chlamydosaurus kingi Frilled Lizard
Heleioporus albopunctatus Western Spotted Frog
Lophognathus longirostris Long-nosed Ta-ta Dragon
Liasis mackloti/Liasis fuscus Water Python
Morelia spilota variegata Northwest Carpet Python
Varanus acanthurus Ridge-tailed Monitor
Varanus brevicauda Short-tailed Pygmy Monitor
Varanus tristis tristis Black-tailed Monitor

Category 5
Acanthopis antarcticus Southern Death Adder
Acanthopis pyrrhus Desert Death Adder
Acanthopis wellsi Pilbara Death Adder
Boiga irregularis Brown Tree Snake
Liasis olivaceus Olive Python
Morelia carinata Rough-scaled Python
Notechis scutatus Tiger Snake
Pseudechis australis Mulga Snake
Pseudechis butleri Spotted Mulga Snake
Pseudonaja affinis affinis Dugite
Pseudonaja nuchalis Gwardar
Varanus gouldii Gould’s Monitor
Varanus rosenbergi Southern Heath Monitor

I was going to keep Pair of Woma's together. Right now just my baby will have this enclosure, as for ventilation maybe 2 computer Fans at each end to keep the air flowing through. The Light is a Flood light hence the white Colour, under advisement from a reptile park I have been told a Uv Light for Woma's is a must due to there activities in the wild. They like to move during the day and require some uv.
Still to go in Hide Box, Substrate possibly, Doors lol, Vents.

I was going to keep Pair of Woma's together. Right now just my baby will have this enclosure, as for ventilation maybe 2 computer Fans at each end to keep the air flowing through. The Light is a Flood light hence the white Colour, under advisement from a reptile park I have been told a Uv Light for Woma's is a must due to there activities in the wild. They like to move during the day and require some uv.
I would use vents only rather than fans or you will find it hard to keep a good temperature gradient and also your enclosure will dry out leading to bad sheds. I would make sure as stated above that you cage your heat source so your snake does not get burnt. I have never heard of a woma python needing uv light and do not use one for my woma python. Also woma pythons eat reptiles so I would not keep more than one in your enclosure or you might end up with one or none.

So how does the reptile Center keep 2 in the same enclosure? I housed 3 BHP together with no trouble I'm asking to better my knowledge

So how does the reptile Center keep 2 in the same enclosure? I housed 3 BHP together with no trouble I'm asking to better my knowledge

The general idea is that you don't want to create a sense of competition among the snakes. In the wild it isn't necessarily happy families. So by keeping them housed separately you eliminate the risk of damage caused by fighting/competing for resources.

What activities in the wild indicate their need for UV?

Most of what you've said is contrary to research I've done. I'm interested to read the facts from your source/s.

What reptile centre keeps multiple woma's or bhp's in the same enclosure? These two species are renowned for eating other reptiles hence why they have less heat pits. If you were to keep two of these species together ideally you would want a very large enclosure not the size that you are talking about and provide multiple basking areas and cool hides for the snakes to keep away from each other and keep them fed which can lead to other problems like fatty liver disease. I suggested that you not keep them together because it is the best option for someone without a lot of experience or knowledge of the species.

Armidale Reptile Center in perth. Now for my personal experience I had BHP's 3 to be exact 1 male 2 females they lived together for quite sometime with no trouble. Keep in mind the male was 6ft the female was 5ft the other female was 4ft. Feeding wasn't a problem you just made sure you got each individuals attention first. So I'm going to have to build multiple enclosures.

Armidale Reptile Center in perth. Now for my personal experience I had BHP's 3 to be exact 1 male 2 females they lived together for quite sometime with no trouble. Keep in mind the male was 6ft the female was 5ft the other female was 4ft. Feeding wasn't a problem you just made sure you got each individuals attention first. So I'm going to have to build multiple enclosures.
Up to you mate, if you think you have the skills and knowledge and enclosure to house multiple aspidites together you can because they are your snakes but I would not recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back