Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

froggyboy86

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I'd share some pics from this weekends frogging up in the New England region of NSW. Went mainly to photograph the Glandular Tree Frog (Litoria subglandulosa) which has declined across its range. Also found a few other frog species and several reptiles.

Frog List

Crinia parinisignifera
Crinia signifera
Limnodynastes dumerilli dumerilli
Limnodynastes peroni
Limnodynastes tasmaniensis
Litoria fallax
Litoria peroni
Litoria subglandulosa
Litoria revelata
Litoria verreauxi verreauxi
Mixophyes balbus
Mixophyes iteratus
Philoria sphagnicolus
Pseudophryne coriacea
Uperoleia fusca
Uperoleia laevigata

Reptile List

Chelodina longicollis
Lampropholis delicata
Cryptoblepharus virgatus
Egernia cunninghami
Egernia saxatilis
Egernia whiti
Eulamprus quoyii
Eulamprus heatwolei
Eulamprus kosciuszkoi
Pogona barbata
Pseudechis porphyriacus
Austrelaps ramsayi
Drysdalia coronoides
Pseudonaja textilis

Glandular Tree Frog (Litoria subglandulosa)
pb7.jpg

Red-backed Brood Frog (Pseudophryne coriacea)
pb5.jpg

Dusky Toadlet (Uperoleia fusca)
pb8.jpg

Striped Marsh Frog (Limnodynastes peroni)
pb6.jpg

Whistling Tree Frog (Litoria verreauxi verreauxi)
pb1.jpg

Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog (Litoria fallax)
pb9.jpg

Eastern Water Skink (Eulamprus quoyii)
pb2.jpg

Alpine Water Skink (Eulamprus kosciuskoi)
pb3.jpg

Black Rock Skink (Egernia saxatilis)
pb4.jpg

Correct me if I have ID'ed the skinks incorrectly, I'm not too experienced at telling them apart in the field.

Aaron

Beautiful photos, Aaron! The Glandular Tree Frogs are nicely patterned frogs. It is too bad that they and so many others have declined.

I think that your skink identifications are correct.

Regards,
David

Thanks for the comments, it was good fun in the mountains and a relief to find L. subglandulosa after a year of looking.

No photos of the Cunninghams from that region they were too wary for me. But I have an old and poor photo of one on the south coast of NSW.
Egerniacunninghami5.jpg

Aaron

Hello again, Aaron,

After looking at the pics again, it occurred to me that E. saxatilis does not occur in the New England area. The Warrumbungles are as near to New England as the species occurs. Your photo certainly looks similar to others that I have seen but it must be something else such as a Tree Skink (E. striolata) or possibly even E. mcpheei depending on how far to the northeast you were.

Regards,
David

Thanks for that David,

I just checked the DECC records for the region and there are no Egernia striolata recorded in that part of the New England but there are several records of E. mcpheei. I think because I found it on a rock I just assumed that ruled out "Tree Skink" :) and I assumed E. mcpheei was a Queensland species. So I'm guessing the skink is likely to be a E. mcpheei.

I'll have to invest in a proper fieldguide for reptiles soon before I head to the Top End.

Aaron

Haha sorry Jason, I didn't photograph much apart from the glandulosa because I've seen all the other frogs many times. And those are the only reptile photos, nothing else would sit still long enough for me to get a shot... I'm not to keen on photographing elapids, I tried photographing a rough scaled snake and nearly lost an eye.

was the bubbly stuff behind the Striped Marsh Frog eggs?:|

Not good enough Aaron, esp after you lack of SE asia photos ;)..... give me a bell if you want to head out locally, the rain has perked things up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back