New functionality added to the Site

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks to our illustrious @Administrator, we can now tag users in posts/threads.

To tag a user in a thread, use the button located on the top left hand corner (in thread view). To tag (mention) a user in a post, just type the @ symbol followed by their username. eg. @saximus @SniperCap @Snowman

You can also view the statistics, located here: Statistics - Aussie Pythons & Snakes To navigate here, you can choose "User Tagging Statistics" from the "Community" pull-down menu.

You should also notice 3 new tabs in your profile - Mentions, Thread Tags, & Quotes. Obviously, you can view the relevant activity here.

Give it a whirl & see what you think. I'm now off to find all the poop threads so that I can tag @Pythoninfinite ;)

UPDATE: There is a settings panel that you can use to customize some of these settings. To find it, click on "Settings" in the top right hand corner of your screen. Then scroll down on the left hand side under "My Settings" you will see a "User Tagging" section. Click the Settings here to turn off notifications, etc.

Last edited:
Better test it out :) maybe everyone can tag someone to get the word out! [MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION]

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason that tagged me??

Yeah I did the tag everyone in my friends list option. You must have been in that list. You will notice that "tagging" and "mentioning" are two separate things.

For some reason that tagged me??

You're tagged in the thread. According to your profile, Snowman tagged you. You should have received a notification informing you of this, but go look at your profile under the "Thread Tags" tab.

A thread tag brings me back to this place.........

Yes, because you were tagged in this thread - That is the whole point of it. If you were tagged in a different thread, you would be sent there.

Cool! Good to see :D [MENTION=34464]princessparrot[/MENTION]

Since this got implemented I keep getting double notifications when I'm quoted. Might just be a coincidence.

Since this got implemented I keep getting double notifications when I'm quoted. Might just be a coincidence.

This is because the original Quote functionality is notifying you, but the new tagging plugin is also notifying you.

If this becomes an issue for people, we might be able to get Adam to disable one of them.

I am actively looking into how this new feature functions, & if I become aware of any tips I will share them here.

@Umbral, I have updated the OP with info on how to customize the settings. I suggest enabling the "Hide Quote Alerts" option. This should just leave you with the default Quote notifications in the future.

Last edited:
So I just had 2 quote notifications one mention notification so I don't think it's the Tag notification. One notification says quote and the other says new post quote.

So I just had 2 quote notifications one mention notification so I don't think it's the Tag notification. One notification says quote and the other says new post quote.

Quote is the default Quote function. New Post Quote is the notification added by this new plugin. If you turn the Quote Alerts off in the User Tagging settings, you should no longer receive this notification.

[MENTION=3]Slateman[/MENTION]

How do you tag in Tapatalk ?

This is a pretty cool feature. I see it coming in handy for particular topics that certain members are known for being experts at. E.g. [MENTION=16366]Snowman[/MENTION] for electrical or [MENTION=20726]Bluetongue1[/MENTION] for IDs.
I don't know if it's possible but it would make it easier if there was some sort of drop-down or auto-complete feature for the ones whose names are a bit odd or when you can't remember if a name contains a hyphen or an underscore etc.

Yeah, I can see the auto-complete functionality being useful, though as it is a 3rd party plugin that isn't something Admin can change.

The plugin does appear to be in regular development though, so we may see it added at some point in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back