New hatchie Python - enclosure HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yiasafrai

Reaction score
so i just got my category 3 WA reptile license yesterday and i've been asking around about hatchies for both stimmies and south-western caprets.

i did some research and i bought a 900x400x400mm aquarium/reptile enclosure.

i went to talk to a reptile pet shop owner about getting a hatchie. he told me that was way too big for an enclosure and i would end up with a stressed, snappy snake that would likely bite every time i took it out. he told me i should go out and buy a Tupperware container and drill holes in it. so i bought a 300x200x100mm container and made a little hide for my future hatchie to live in.

i wanted to make sure i was getting the best price for my hatchie and so i called around.

the next lady i called told me that a container that size was WAY too small and she would not sell me a hatchie like that. i then told her about my bigger enclosure and she didn't seem objected to the size but she asked me what it was made out of. "all glass" i said. she insisted atleast 3 sides have to be wood and it needs a front sliding panel for her to sell me a hatchie.

why am i getting soo many contradicting answers?
and if these enclosures are so bad why have i been approved for my reptile license?

what is the Best enclosure for my future hatchie?

There is nothing wrong with an all glass enclosure, you just need to be aware that it is harder to maintain the temperature in them making it even more important to have a good thermostat and thermometre to monitor temps.

I would argue that sliding glass doors can actually be problematic with hatchies who are often small enough to squeeze through the join

nothing wrong with either enclosure [ click clack until the hatchy gets beggier - then the all glass]

I would argue that sliding glass doors can actually be problematic with hatchies who are often small enough to squeeze through the join
the stick on weather sheild foam from bunnings would soon fix that .

Where abouts are uou planning to buy your hatchy. When I bought my lil Stimmy we were told we could just put him in our own container or we could buy this setup in the picture below. It came with a home, substrate, water bowl, fake tree and tongs for 150 I think :)

ca514584-fa18-15f9.jpg

using it as a feed container at the mom lol

My SWCP was in a plastic click clack until he was big enough to move into his all glass, sliding door enclosure. He will eventually have a larger wooden sided cabinet, but not for at least a year. I think he was about a year old before he even went into the glass one. (I'd stay away from the lady going on about the glass enclosure, she sounds a little wonky)

okay so the hatchie is supposed to be about 60cm long. is that long for a south western carpet hatchie? i've only really seen them curled into a tight spiral.

i did some more research and i have my weekend project of making a 70x35x60cm plywood enclosure with front glass sliding panels.

does this sound acceptable ?

I like the sound of your first enclosure. If heating is an issue, I would perhaps look at some polystyrene sheets stuck on the sides and a custom background made over the top of the sheets. Also using a substrate such as red desert sand would also help with a stable tempeture and have a few different hides and stuff to climb on. Only reason I see the larger enclosure being an issue, would be if it was empty and didnt provide enough cover and the snake was to feel exposed.

if the glass enclosure is too big what happens in the big out doors....what a load of total crap some of these dreamers need to show us how they get two heat zones (23 / 33) in a tiny container....fair-dinkum some of the these herpers l think they call themselves show us your two heat-zones in one of these tiny containers l am keen to see your set-ups.
..........solar 17 (baden)

My Stimmy I have had since start of September he was only in a click clack for 3 weeks he is now 45cms long and has been in his 4ft enclosure now for awhile and he absolutely loves it :)

Its not about the size , its how you use it :] Lots of hides in different temperature areas will keep the little fella happy . And if the glass is losing too much heat a nice blanket draped over it will help .

if the glass enclosure is too big what happens in the big out doors....what a load of total crap some of these dreamers need to show us how they get two heat zones (23 / 33) in a tiny container....fair-dinkum some of the these herpers l think they call themselves show us your two heat-zones in one of these tiny containers l am keen to see your set-ups.
..........solar 17 (baden)

I have a click clack with (at ground level) 33-34 hot side and a 25-27 cool side... To manage that I have put fake turf on one half and crushed walnut shell on the other with the ware dish right in the middle. Heat mat on hot side, a LED STRIP for day lighting and LED STRIP covered with red cellophane for night viewing. Seems to work for me so far...

Little monkeys why are you digging up old posts?

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is from last year. I'm pretty sure she already has the hatchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back