New Iguana

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice, David! Who needs Japanese B movies? YOu could lie down on the floor near it and imagine your own. :)

Very nice pics al, can you get a closeup of the head in good light? Id love to get a better look at its color mate! looks like its very happy and comfy in your apartment ! :D

Thanks guys. Yeah, she is an adult, but no thats not their normal coloring. She has the orange hue because it is breeding season. She is also in the process of shedding right now, so she is rather dull. I also suspect that she hasn't been getting near enough, if any, UV light. She does have some of the early symptoms of MBD. Here last owner kept her in the basement with only a 100W light bulb for heat/light. She was allowed to free roam, but I don't think she could've been getting much natural sunlight, and it would've been through window anyway if she had. She also was being fed a piss poor diet, and would've been chronically under heated. No way for her to warm up properly.

Needless to say, I am addressing these issues with her now, but it may take some time for her to come back around to full health. I don't think she is too far gone or anything, and if you didn't know what to look for, it would be easy to miss her health problems at this stage. I'm working on new enclosure for her at the moment. It will be about 6ft wide, 3ft deep, and 6ft tall. Right now I'm keeping her in the lower snake cage I built for the olives, as I still have them together for now. Only modification was the addition of UV tube. I open up the glass and let her free roam in my office during the day. She mostly hangs out under the heat lamp. She sure seems to like the fact that she can actually warm up now.

I have never really cared for iguanas all that much. Wife kinda talked me into getting her. Well, once I saw how she was kept, I really felt sorry for her, and now it's kinda' become a sympathy case for me. With that said, I'm really starting to like her. Never realized how much personality they have. It's cool to go over and give her a scratch and she just closes her eyes and soaks it up like a dog or cat. Maybe I'll keep her yet. :D

Champ that sounds like a great pet.I would love to own one might have to move to states.I'm sure she will love you after all this tender loving care.Best of luck mate sounds like she is in great hands.Keep us posted

Last owner called her Hecubus, wife calls her Puppy, and kids call her Piranha. I haven't come up with anything yet. I imagine she will be a very confused lizard 'till we nail down something permanent. :D

Oh yeah. I added a few more pictures, including a couple close-ups of her face for you Wattso.

Thanks Al, very nice pics, they do look like mini godzilla's dont they. Whats the circular bit below the jaw? is that just markings?

Thanks for the compliments guys. I don't think I will be breeding her though Fucus. Iguanas are very common here, to the point where there are iguana rescue/shelters, like for dogs and cats. Lots and lots of people buy them for like $10 when they are babies, then neglect to provide for their needs. If they survive, they get big, and people lose interest, no space, too much hassle, and all the other pathetic excuses people have for abuse. They end up dumped to die, or passed on to other ignorant, lazy, just plain crappy people. If they are lucky, they end up in the hands of someone who gives a damn. Not very often though I'm afraid. Just don't want to breed for an already flooded market of abused animals, ya' know? :?

Only noise I've heard her make is a sneeze. They do this to expel salt I think. Don't know for sure if she could make any other sounds.

Hey Almaron.....

Thats a great looking animal. I am not that big a fan of lizards but an Iggy would be pretty cool. Are they easy to tame as such as I have seen several pictures of then in harnesses going for walks.

Interesting new pet!

Cheers Hawkeye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back