Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks awesome just hope there isn't a thread after this saying help my snake escaped lol!

I can't see it happening she is way to big for a single gap in the enclosure and the glass doors do not slide easily enough for even my daughter to accidentally open it. :)

Gruni that is fantastic! You must be over the moon to have made that with such an amazing result! I can tell skittles loves it as well!

It's funny, her last enclosure was only 1/6th the size of this one and Skittles looked like a huge carpet python in there when she moved around and covered her basking rock, now she looks almost like a tiny hatchling again.Kathy said it reminds her of when we moved the kids from their cots to their big beds and they looked so tiny. :lol:

She curls up on the slate tile and takes up less than half of it and she gets in amongst the shadows at the back of the warm side and blends in so well you have trouble finding her at times. At this stage the slate tile is her prefered spot but she wasn't very active in her tank before we moved her either so as she gets hungrier she should start moving around the space more. As yet she hasn't really looked at the hides so I'm curious to see if she develops a preference betwen the log like one or the rock.

Fantastic job! You should consider doing it professionally :p . May I ask where you got those great fake plants?

As I have said a before Rob, after a lot of searching I got the ivy from Spotlight ($6) and the grass, bromiliad and bamboo ($15 ea) from the homeware section of K-Mart and they were in pots that I either pulled the plants out of the foam or in some cases pulled out and broke up the foam to make the new bases out of.

Tonight was awesome we had friends over for dinner and after dessert we sat for nearly an hour watching her explore every inch of the new enclosure except the rock hide. She has taken a liking to the dark shadowy corners at the back of the setup when she isn't perched on the slate tile warming herself. It really is a centre piece to the room that is very eye catching and satisfying.

Well have watched this thread from the start and have been waiting for the final product, and now finally !!!! It looks great. This has also helped me ( and a lot of others I bet ). I'm trying to convert a corner cabinet for my spotted (well i had planned to buy a yearling spotted but instead 2 weeks later i brought a hatchie, so tht now lives in a click clack.then a month after the hatchie I bought a 19 month old bredli so the cabinet will now be for that until he gets too big ) and this thread has a lot of tips & how to's which are really helpful so thanks a lot and once again great job

Looks good mate. All your hard work has paid off

Last couple of pics... I've been waiting for her to start really feeling at home in there and the other day she started to check out one of the new hides and this afternoon I came home to see that she thinks she's a tree python now. :lo:

P1240008_zpsa3555026.jpg

P1240007_zpsf9eb6466.jpg

P1270010_zpsf710ffa2.jpg

P1270014_zps41efc48a.jpg

P1270013_zpsc61417f6.jpg

Nice to see she appreciates all your hard work :)
She's the only one who's opinion really matters and if she could I think she'd give it a two thumbs up !

One question & not just to you Gruni but to all that make enclosures - & yes I am guilty of it to.
We make these awesome looking enclosures (& yes I think your's is really really good) with realistic back walls etc but then always leave timber side walls. I have never seen, in nature, a rock wall side up to a flat piece of polished timber. I mean, in fish tanks some people use those wrap around weed pictures so....

Now I'm just thinking out loud - I guess when I get around to building my own enclosure I may see if I can do some sort of side rock wall or picture with trees & bush that makes it look like an actual scene, maybe even with blue ceiling with fluffy white clouds.

Or if any one has pics of something like that so I can steal ideas...........

My glass tank which Skittles has been in for the past year has that picture background on three sides so I know what you mean but I think the enclosure would look too cramped if I made foam rock walls for the sides for a start. I have also made the enclosure in such a way that if I decided not to use it as a viv anymore I can remove all the modifications very easily give it a quick clean and use it as a regular piece of furniture again. My art skills are also such that any lanscape painting I put on the sides would look like crap and ruin the look of the build as a display feature in the house.

I did find that the ivy at the edges and the plants in the corners help to break that clash betwen the background and the plain walls and my wife chose a base colour that blends somewhat with the redish brown of the timber.

I just realised I hadn't done a compare and contrast.
So Skittles has gone from a rather cramped this...
PC300038_zps27941cfc.jpg

PC300039_zpsad448066.jpg

To a spacious and interactive this...
P1240011_zps802dd47d.jpg

One question & not just to you Gruni but to all that make enclosures - & yes I am guilty of it to.
We make these awesome looking enclosures (& yes I think your's is really really good) with realistic back walls etc but then always leave timber side walls. I have never seen, in nature, a rock wall side up to a flat piece of polished timber. I mean, in fish tanks some people use those wrap around weed pictures so....

Now I'm just thinking out loud - I guess when I get around to building my own enclosure I may see if I can do some sort of side rock wall or picture with trees & bush that makes it look like an actual scene, maybe even with blue ceiling with fluffy white clouds.

Use mirrors looks awesome :D

From Cathy

I've done it , and honestly I personally don't think it makes much difference , It is a wooden box on the outside after all but if it's your preference and your up to the extra work then go for it

Gruni , looking the goods mate finished up great , I started another enclosure today as works called off for the week , I wasn't going to do a background but now I'm thinking I just might give it another crack

I've kinda done it. My enclosure I've nearly finished is a corner TV unit, so it basically has 5 sides on the inside, I've done the 3 back ones with fake wall and the two side walls are only about 15cm wide which I couldn't make a rockwall because I had to insert vents and it would of been to complicated (for me) trying to build a wall around vents.

Now that Skittles is fully settled into the new enclosure I have seen the proof of the pudding. When I got her out of her old enclosure it was usually a battle to get her to go back into it. With this one I have had it a couple of times where the enclosure is partly open and I have stood near it while handling her and she has willingly headed back into the enclosure. She obviously feels very comfortable in the environment we have created for her. 8)

Her favourite spot tends to be sprawled out on the log as this is often where I find her of an afternoon and she will remain there for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back