Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to make a 'box'/shelf that will have a cavity beneath the tile where the cord will be routed and this will be mounted 2/3 of the way up the back wall on the warm side of the enclosure. The other heat is being provided by a halogen down light.

If the cord isn't going to be in direct contact with the tile, you can put the cord a little closer together, to get more heat to the tile then run it for a few days then check for signs of scorching on the timber.

Hmmm in that case maybe a piece of fibro as a base for the cord to coil over... or lining it with alfoil?

I figure you can still predrill the fibro and screw through it. Maybe just several layers of alfoil will do just as well. I'll do a bit of homework on that idea. :)

Ok so I've been online and got a few bits including a 'rock' hide and two thermostats. One like this which has a day/night feature which will run the heat lamp for day time heating.
reptile_thermostat_1.jpg

And a simple one similar to this to run the basking shelf/heatcord.
484393882_911.jpg

I also picked up some MDF to use as a backing for the rock wall, brackets for the shelf and did some dumpster diving for foam at Harvey Norman. I still need to go to one of the sponsor sites and order a 2m heat cord. Then after I have setup the shelf side of things I can start on the rock wall and next payday pick up some render, paint and pondtight. Oh and yesterday I picked up a hide that looks like half a log from the aquarium section of Big W.

So all in all we are making steady progress. Kathy (my wife) and Skye (my daughter) have been looking at DIY sites getting ideas for the rock wall and how to paint it. We are thinking of getting some fake plants, preferably Aussie stuff like gum leaves, as well as some model railway lichen to add to the look of it all.

I am also curious if I put some Spanish moss/Oldman's beard in the enclosure if it will survive and grow?

Looking good Gruni. Its going to be a spiffy setup.

I am also curious if I put some Spanish moss/Oldman's beard in the enclosure if it will survive and grow?
It's actually a bromeliad Tillandsia usneoides. It's easy to grow in terrariums. It likes high light any higher humidity. It will survive in less humid environments with frequent mistings. Hope that helps.

Ok so I've been online and got a few bits including a 'rock' hide and two thermostats. One like this which has a day/night feature which will run the heat lamp for day time heating.
reptile_thermostat_1.jpg

And a simple one similar to this to run the basking shelf/heatcord.
484393882_911.jpg

I also picked up some MDF to use as a backing for the rock wall, brackets for the shelf and did some dumpster diving for foam at Harvey Norman. I still need to go to one of the sponsor sites and order a 2m heat cord. Then after I have setup the shelf side of things I can start on the rock wall and next payday pick up some render, paint and pondtight. Oh and yesterday I picked up a hide that looks like half a log from the aquarium section of Big W.

So all in all we are making steady progress. Kathy (my wife) and Skye (my daughter) have been looking at DIY sites getting ideas for the rock wall and how to paint it. We are thinking of getting some fake plants, preferably Aussie stuff like gum leaves, as well as some model railway lichen to add to the look of it all.

Do you have anymore pics?? So far it's looking good. I was going to build a tank but managed to find a corner cabinet pretty cheap so will convert that.i scored 3 lengths of LED lighting from bunnings for $20 as they are a deleted line.already put that in the cabinet.only had to used 2 of the LED strips as it lights up well.i will build a rock wall to fit inside,I see you are using MDF board, there have been some debates with this stuff lol but I'm guessing it will b ok to use for backing as it won't be heated much, and I'm thinking that you will be sealing the MDF board??. I'm in bunnings car park as I type lol bout to go in and pick up some small round vents for the tank.I'm def keeping an eye on this thread and keen to see your progress

Thanks for the votes of confidence so far guys, at this stage its hard to stuff up what I am aiming for, the cool/challenging part will be when I start the rock wall. :lol:

The MDF won't be an issue at all as it is only as a backing board for the rock wall so it won't be near the moisture or anything like that. I wont have much to show for a little while as I am waiting for the stuff I ordered to arrrive and that wont get here till about Thursday. Then I will be able to start looking at the rock wall as I need to have a play with the heat cord and basking shelf so I can allow for mounting them and feeding the leftover heat cord out. We also have a thing to go to next weekend which will mean I will have four days or so away from the project anyway.

I will be posting progress pics as I go and the next step (this afternoon or in the morning) will be fitting the vents to the MDF and locating matching holes in the back wall of the cabinet. I've gone with 160x80 rectanguar vents rather than the round ones.

Curious though, has anyone used railway lichen as a way of adding a mossy look to their back grounds? If so what sort of glue did you use and how well did it last?

Also can anyone PM me or post up a supplier of Australian fake plants? Rather than needing to use Ivy vines I would like to hang stuff that looks like gum leaves or something around the edges to frame the scene, and some spinifex type grass clumps for the bottom.

Way to go Gruni :) you're powering ahead !
As far as the railway moss, you'll find it hard to clean if it gets messy. I just 'stipple' a few different shades of green in the appropriate spots. Don't lose sight that it will be crawled over and pooped on (they always pick the worst spots)
As far as plants, you could try 'spotlight' if you have them over there. I tend to buy when I see something rather than wait til I need it, I've got a good little stockpile going on!

I know there is an online plant place, ill go hunt it down an PM it to you (no non sponsor links allowed remember people)

Well the glass places finally opened again today so off I went to get some quotes. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me on the toughened glass but for 2 pieces 815x465 3.2mm Lexan $131, 4.7mm Lexan $196, Laminated glass with the edges smoothed and some finger recesses ground in $214. I like the idea of the Lexan, it's the bullet proof poly carbonate they make the bank teller screens out of so very safe as far as kids tripping near the enclosure.

As for pics, I was going to hold off but as I was posting the prices of the glass here you go Cathy. This is the slate tile for the basking shelf.

PC100007_zps9f749199.jpg

And yesterday I test fitted the MDF with the vents in place. I also marked and drilled the corners of the vent openings for the back of the cabinet ready to jigsaw out.

PC140010_zps73609354.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What use use as 'glass' will depend on your tracks, if your using plastic track that commonly comes in either 5 or 6mm so the thinner Lexan will be loose and provide a nice gap for your Mac to practise it's Houdini talents. My glass guys won't do smoothed laminate, because you've got two pieces of thin glass stuck to the laminate film to high a failure rate with chipping. All my hinged doors are laminate but not the sliding.
Hinged doors solve these issues but you need to make sure you have room to open them if they're at floor level

I got my glass today, 2 pices 725x790x5mm all edges arised $130

Is your enclosure at floor level? Like Gruni. I won't take the chance of it getting hit (too many visiting kids)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back