Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by the last pic, shine isnt going to be a major issue. I like what I see at the moment :)

They're good tease photos aren't they? Trying to save a bit for next weeks reveal... ;)

I'll sit down tonight and try to do a bit of a costing etc for the project too.

Last edited:
Looks awersome gruni wats the story wit the thermostat is it hard to set?

Wow! This is looking awesome Gruni! This thread has pretty much enlightened me with everything I need to know about converting cabinets :D I can't wait to get started on mine :D

(Love the fake wall! Looks fantastic!)

One TV Cabinet (1360x1030x600) from Ebay $40
Toughened glass $160
Tracks $30
Sheet of 3mm MDF about $10
Stud adhesive and pondtite about $45
4 sample pots of British Paints $32
20kg bag of acrylic render $12
Jet001 thermostat $60
Jet200 thermostat $20
LED lighting kit from Jaycar $40
Halogen Downlight deleted stock sale $10 (normally about $30)
3 plants from K-mart $45
2 Ivy vines Spotlight $12
Rock Hide $25
Log Hide $10
Astroturf $29/m (I spent $45 but I have a heap left to make a second mat and some new mats for the old enclosure etc)
Pile of Styrofoam of varying densities courtesy of the Harvey Norman dumpster... FREE
Driftwood log... Free

Total cost for the enclosure approx $530 but as it is a bit here and a bit there over a month an a half it doesn't seem all that much. Also things like the render and paint I could do several enclosures with what I have left over. Often times people seem to not weigh up the cost of consumables like adhesive etc when costing their enclosures but I have tried to cover everything I spent.

Also sometimes when people upsize they recycle their thermostats etc as the old enclosure doesn't get used anymore but I have plans for a new resident for the old setup but it will require an even bigger custom enclosure as it grows which may see me getting an old wardrobe for a future build. 8)

Making the false cieling, closing the holes in the cabinet, manufaturing the heat cage... 2hrs
Building the rock wall... 4hrs
Rendering with 2 coats... 2 1/2hrs
Painting the rock wall... 1hr (on a very warm quick drying day)
Each coat of Pondtite... 10mins
Fitting the tracks/doors... 1/2hr
Test fitting and sussing out how things would look and go together... LOST COUNT! :lol:

Looks awersome gruni wats the story wit the thermostat is it hard to set?

Egernia is happy to help me with setting it, I'm a bit of a visual learner and there are no pics in the lists of instructions, but I think I may have to warranty it as the button that lets you reduce the temp won't work at the moment. Other than that it seems fine and as Egernia has pointed out elsewhere these are relatively new on the market and I just got unlucky but nothing that can't be sorted in good spirit.

Nice summary :)

You forgot to factor in the grazed knuckles, lost sleep and hair pulling

They're good tease photos aren't they? Trying to save a bit for next weeks reveal... ;)

I'll sit down tonight and try to do a bit of a costing etc for the project too.

You big tease! haha I want to see it completed, can't wait for the big unveiling. I've been following this thread from the start, it's been a great learning experience and you've done a Fantastic job! (Yep, fantastic with a capital F)

I'd definitely be interested in another thread if/when you decide to convert a wardrobe :p

x

Pffft... that's when I'm working on my motorbike or the car... countless flesh sacrifices on them! :shock:

This project was relativley painless and was really pretty straight forward as I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted it to look like before I even started. It just comes down to a bit of patience and common sense. 8)

Next on the list is a Diamond python Skippii and I need to work out if I can make an enclosure that will fit ontop of our 3 door buffet or whether I need something taller and will need to do a wardrobe size enclosure. If I do have to do the wardrobe I'm a bit scared to think of the cost for the glass for the doors!!!! :shock:

Yeah, I cringe at the thought of paying for glass doors to fit a wardrobe lol.. Just got to think of the finished product and how incredibly awesome it'll be I suppose :p

I'd love a diamond, but right now there's just no more space in my room for large snake enclosures. Unless of course I convert my closety thing into an enclosure.. Problem then is, my clothes (and I do have a LOT of clothes) would be homeless.. Hell, I might as well just convert my room into a snake room, and I'll move out onto the lawn! haha maybe if we ever actually get the main house built and I have more space. Til then, my collection is at a stand-still (except for the shingleback I plan to get).

So.. What are the chances of getting any more pics of this enclosure of yours before next weekend? :D

Ok, had a great chat with Simon (Egernia from Reptiles Direct) and the Jet001 is going back and I'm upgrading to a dimming Jet005 instead. I hope I'm making the right choice, it should extend the life of the globe and I'm assuming that if I set the night temps low enough then the Lamp won't turn on at all during the night cycle. I had assumed that a day/night thermo would allow me to simply set a timer for a daytime temp setting and that if I left the night cycle empty it just wouldn't run but that isn't quite how they work.

For the moment to test the temp stability in the enclosure I have simply hooked the halogen up using a timer switch so that I can get some idea of how it will heat this size enclosure. I'm using a 50w globe and it partially overlaps onto the heatshelf but there is no other basking spot directly under the lamp in the upper section of the enclosure. The Jet200 seems to be working nicely on the heat tile so at least that is something.

Now to go out and keep working on the bases for the plants so they don't tip over and look a bit nicer too.

So I've hit a bit of a snag and after your thoughts guys. I worked on the new plant bases today. We undercoated them with the charcoal grey that I used on the wall and I stuck some cardboard underneath some of the flimsier foam and weighed them down with some paint pots. In the mean time I started trying to achieve the gravel/pebble finish on some of the thicker pieces. And this is where I hit the snag...

The PVA isn't gluggy enough to dip into the gravel and pick it up and the stud adhesive is thick enough but it dries white... :(
Here are some pics of what I achieved, feel free to offer some pointers or suggestions of what to do o make this work.

P1190001_zpsa9d1b13c.jpg

P1190002_zps1ac22f38.jpg

P1190003_zps2d7a383a.jpg

P1190004_zps66d9e555.jpg

These are the various stones/gravel I have to work with...
P1190005_zps931744de.jpg

Bit of an idea where it's headed...
P1190006_zps6f19f166.jpg

Oh and Skippii this is the 'but' from last night altough I had hoped they would be showing off how successful it was not asking for help. :D

Argh, snags like this are the worst.

Personally, i dont think the white with the little pebbles looks bad at all, at least in the pictures, but I know it's not the look you were after. Have you thought of maybe trying to thicken the PVA glue somehow? I've heard some people thicken it with sand. Just thickening it may not make the pebbles stick any better, but it's something I'd definitely try, at least with a small patch. Or maybe if they're compatible, could you mix some of the PVA and stud glue together to get something gluggier but less white once set?

x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back