New member and a few questions.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor_yzfR1

Reaction score
Hello and greeting fellows reptile lovers and enthusiasts :)
Connor here, I've owned reptiles for a few years now and love them.
I currently have two bearded dragons and a diamond python, I'm sure in time I will create some threads with some pictures for you all to get to know my animals :)

But for the moment I was wondering if anyone has a list or knows where I can view a detailed list online of the snakes and reptiles that I can legally own in Queensland? I currently hold a recreational license, I have looked into exotic licenses in the past but not too deeply, I know there is lots of red tape and sometimes qualifications needed, but besides an exotic license which without prior training and education such as reptile studies and some sort of vet license I haven't really looked into it much.

But yeah I'm trying to find a list of every legal snake and reptile that I could currently own in Queensland with my recreational wildlife license. If anyone could send me a list or a link or any help with this matter it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Also while I think of it, I love iguanas and always have, is there any way at all that I could manage to own one? If anyone knows off the top of they're head.

Thanks guys

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Forget any dreams of adding any exotics to your collection unless you want to do so illegally.

Thank you Ron, I did find that before, maybe I should read into more deaply when I can focus a bit more haha :)
I did read about the zoo license but clearly that's not an.easy thing to do, with needing full vet and I believe some if not all horticultural degrees ect, and that unfortunatly isn't a viable option :/ but maybe in the future haha.

Yes Paul it is quite sad that the only way to have an exotic seems to be illegally :(
Maybe one day I may move (or stay for some time in America) the first thing I will be doing in that case would be getting an iguana haha

But thanks for help guys :)

Also while I think of it, I love iguanas and always have, is there any way at all that I could manage to own one? If anyone knows off the top of they're head.

Thanks guys

If you love iguanas so much why not look into some of Australia's monitor lizards? Probably the closest looking to one would be the mertens water monitor (just because its greenish).

good luck on your search

Maybe if you're young enough to choose a career path you could study or aim to work at a zoo or wildlife park that could get you close to exotics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I've just turned 20 and due to developing rsi in both my wrists and forearms I can no longer work as a panel beater like I was, so all trades are pretty much out, I've often thought about Australia zoo as they're only 20 minutes away,
But for the moment I'm focusing on getting my body back into working condition to be able to go back to work and support myself haha.

If you love iguanas so much why not look into some of Australia's monitor lizards? Probably the closest looking to one would be the mertens water monitor (just because its greenish).

good luck on your search

As for monitors (or any kind)
I have thought about them and often wanted one because some are even similar to the wonderful komodo dragon haha
But at the moment I don't have the space for one or the funds to create a perfect and realistic enclosure, also I'm still living at home with mum and she can barely stand my bearded dragons haha (she's fine with my snake) but monitors and big lizards freak her out and there's no way I could have one at the moment haha, also I haven't seen too many for sale in my area.

Last edited by a moderator:
As was said above as far as I know unless u own a zoo or wildlife park exotics are illegal

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

get some ackies if you are limited for space and want monitor

Storr's or pygmy mulga monitor are two of the smaller monitors.
Can't believe your Mum is freaked out by lizards, but doesn't mind the snake. Most people that come to our house are the opposite.

Okay guys so I've been looking at some ackies and storr's and pygmy's.
I can't decide which one I.would rather,
I also came across a black throat monitor while perusing through google, the damn things get huge and look like dinosaurs some of them haha, I desperately want one, it would be like walking a prehistoric animal :) but unfortunately I don't think they're legal in Australia :( I'm not sure I'm about to look and see what I can find.

As for my mum liking my snake but not so much my bearded dragons, I know it's kinda odd, everyone thinks that, she says it's because lizards can run really fast and dart around, I'm not too sure how her brain works but I'm just happy that I have my animals :)

Okay so black throat monitors can weight up to 30kg and grow to about 7 foot, the only problem is that they are native to Tanzania :( so another awesome animal we can't have

On the upside I finally found a literal a-z list of all Australian native reptiles which essentially unless they are poisonous we should be able to own, and it wasn't on any government related site. Those site just took me in circles with no help and gave me a headache haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me like you are looking for all the information in the wrong places mate.

Start small, go to your states department responsible for wildlife permits and have a look at what you can keep on your rec permit first. Plan from there as having a reptiles not a status symbol, you need to be prepared properly.

Yeah I know, I'm not just going to go out and get huge monitor or crazy reptile, I don't have the space or money to start with, but in the future it would be nice to own really interesting animlas.
Its just a shame that you simply can't.own them in this state or country because they're a.exotic imported animal, I did all kinds of research on my.bearded dragon and.python before I got them and they have everything they need and I take.extremely good care of them,
I'd just like some reptiles that you just simply can't have in this country.
That's all

I wouldn't go and get an animal that I couldn't compently look after and and care for the way it should be. I wouldn't risk my animals in any way

Have you found a list of what reptiles you can keep on your permit n Queensland? Couldn't see anything on the link that Ron provided.
Maybe someone from Queensland can direct you in the right direction. I know it varies from state to state.

With Australia Zoo 'just up the road' from you it would be an idea to go chat with them about what you are asking ;) and with so many people interested in a career with wildlife you could chat with them about that while you are there too - Good Luck :)

Have you found a list of what reptiles you can keep on your permit n Queensland? Couldn't see anything on the link that Ron provided.
Maybe someone from Queensland can direct you in the right direction. I know it varies from state to state.

Kinda, I found a list of all native reptiles to Australia, as far as I'm aware essentially all native (but non poisonous) reptiles are legal to own, I have the list at home on my computer and will upload a link when I get home.

As for Australia zoo, I'm definitely going to have to go there one day soon and talk some people and find out some more information.

I ran into a guy the other day doing a poisonous snake show at the shops and had a good chat with him, he informed me that bearded dragons are classed as a poisonous animal now because of a bacteria in they're saliva, which if your immune system is very damaged you can get an infection. Highly unlikely to occur and the government isn't exactly aware of it, and they won't be removed the legal to own list, but an interesting piece of information I think.

Surely there is the same document that exists for us in Victoria whereby it states all of the species able to be kept firstly on a basic wildlife lisence and secondly on an advanced wildlife lisence whereby the the only hurdle stopping you from owning certain animals (I think) is completing a venomous snake handling course or similar. I'd recommend staying away from google with the exotics, we have such unique and beautiful fauna here in Australia, and start small, try not to aim to have the worlds biggest collection, as someone said earlier, it's not a status symbol it's better to love and take care of a smaller group properly IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I agree, and as I said earlier I take the best care of my animals and I'm not rushing.into anything just coming across animals I like alot and sadly they can't be kept in this country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back