New Member needing help :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieLover

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to AussiePythons, and Im needing a little help. I have a 11month old Pygmy Western Bearded Dragon (Male) who has become very inactive and not hungry, Is this because of winter or?

I also have a 2-3 Year old female Pygmy. I got her on Sunday arvo. Ive noticed little bumps down the side of her belly region, She was in a tank at pet shop with 3 Males and 1 female. Is this eggs?

Thanks Heaps Guys! :D

- Anya

Hey guys,

I'm new to AussiePythons, and Im needing a little help. I have a 11month old Pygmy Western Bearded Dragon (Male) who has become very inactive and not hungry, Is this because of winter or?

I also have a 2-3 Year old female Pygmy. I got her on Sunday arvo. Ive noticed little bumps down the side of her belly region, She was in a tank at pet shop with 3 Males and 1 female. Is this eggs?

Thanks Heaps Guys! :D

- Anya

Hi there, for a start it sounds like your male is trying to brumate.
Does he spend a lot of time sleeping?

With the female, it is hard to say without a photo or better description but i don't think it would be because breeding season hasn't really started yet and they don't usually breed until after brumation during spring (someone correct me if i am wrong). I do know that they can lay eggs without being mated recently but there is a high chance the eggs would be infertile.
On the other hand a lot of reptiles seem to have started the breeding season early this year so you never know.
Maybe just keep an eye on her.

Em

Hey Em,

Yeah, I wouldnt beable to get a good enough picture, because Its a tricky one to see! But Im not sure. My male tried it on with her the other night when I introduced them! Very intresting I must say. My male has been Sleeping alot and hiding? How long with he Brumate for?

The female has about 8 little bumps going down each end. The ones in the pet shop were so lively and active. I noticed when I put my hand in the vivarium tonight she hissed! :S

Thanks

-Anya

My male tried it on with her the other night when I introduced them! Very intresting I must say.

I wouldn't write that too often, you are supposed to quarantine new animals for a while before letting them have contact with your other animals in case of paracites and disease. Just a tip for the future :(

The mating the other night wouldn't have produced anything this quick i don't think. They usually brumate on and off over winter, some people bump the temps up to reduce the likelyhood of the animal going into brumation.
This doesn't work sometimes as the animal has it's own body clock and you can't always stop it. Some people say it shortens their lifespan if you don't allow brumation to happen and they also say it reduces successful breeding.
The ones in the shop would have been 'forced' not to brumate (they may have been lucky and it worked for them) because who wants to see and buy a brumating lizard?

When in brumation it is like long periods of sleep and they wake up on and off to snack and drink some water. While in brumation they will hide and sleep.

Are you sure the lumps aren't her ribs? If the lumps feel egg shaped and roundish then it may be eggs. As far as i know it takes around 3 weeks from mating until eggs are laid (i may be wrong as i don't know very much).
I would let her settle in for a week and keep handling to a minimum as she may be stressing out and that may be why she hissed at you.

Here is some info from a caresheet about brumation and breeding etc (it is not my own info):

"Brumation-
Brumation (sleeping) is usually done during the winter months drop your temperatures down by about 10c mainly just feed your beardies some salad with the odd woodie and leave a small dish of water changed every day or 2 as generally your pygmy will do nothing but sleep and eat/drink whatever it needs to stay alive this is also an integral part of preparing bearded dragons for breeding.

Breeding-
Breeding with these little guys will usually start to occur shortly after brumation once brumation is finished and they start to become more active bump your temperatures back up to the ideal specs and start feeding your pair up.
The courting ritual will usually take 3-4weeks of constant head bobbing from the male and waving in a circular motion from the female sometimes you may see the male nipping the female on the back of the neck.
When mating finally occurs the male will mount the female and hold onto her by biting the back of her neck before curling his tail underneeth hers this will generally last for a short time but will and may happen regularly.

Egg laying-
Once pregnant it usually takes about 3weeks for the female to start filling up with eggs and looking for a place to lay you may notice her running franticly running around the enclosure scratching at the sand and walls."

If you would like to know where i found this then PM me here as it would be against rules to put a link to it here :)

I had the new one Vet checked before I allowed them in together.

There definately in her belly, Ill wait and leave her be.

Thanks heaps

- Anya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back