New member with nose rub question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hsgrx7

Reaction score
Hi new member with a black headed python yearling. hope it this is the right spot for posting.
This is my first snake but ive had few lizards and a turtle in the past.
My snake is rubbing its nose along the glass which is starting to show a wound, i thought it might be starting to shed but nothings happened so far.
i have only had it 3 weeks now and has been handling great hasn't hissed or tried to bite or headbutt. eating soon as i put food in the enclosure.
put it out on the front lawn as hasn't pooed since i got it 3 weeks ago, after about 10 minutes it did quite a big one. it would follow me around the grass too.

temperature is about 36-38c degrees in the hot end and 28c at the cool end. about 5.5foot long 2.5-3foot wide 3 foot tall enclosure with 2 glass sliding doors. 2 bags of kritter crumble fine substrate which is burrows in. thinking maybe it needs some more substrate or a mix of sand aswell as kritter crumble. 2 hides and a exo terra t-rex decoration with few of the holes blocked so it cant get stuck and 4 medium-large sized rocks. aswell as a medium large exo terra water bowl.
at night it gets to around 25-27c degrees
hope thats enough infomation for the nose rubbing, its not constant but it is doing every night for awhile. sometimes hardly at all other times for quite awhile. seems to be enough to start making wounds on its nose and mouth. doesnt seem stressed out or anything.

could it just be a faze or restlessness/bored ? haven't really found anything for this particular snake to help me out. seen afew things saying they stop after a month or so?

i do plan on changing the enclosure to make it abit better looks and hiding spots wise.
this is my snake. haven't named it yet and not sure if male or female, i think its a male though.
29257710_10209636507943524_7417159467923406848_o.jpg

29665573_10209734629916512_6384822753941710920_o.jpg

A few years ago I had 1 of my 6 GTF's (Green tree frogs) do this... all night... every night was persistent attempted escape behaviour. Completely rubbed its nose raw... healed up and was grey in colour for months until the green pigment returned. Maybe something isn't quite right in the enclosure and it's not comfy...

So what I’ve been informed it is, reptiles can’t perceive glass as well... glass they see right through it and think they can go through it so they try and try and try etc, there isn’t really much you can do

So what I’ve been informed it is, reptiles can’t perceive glass as well... glass they see right through it and think they can go through it so they try and try and try etc, there isn’t really much you can do
If that is the case, putting a backdrop on it should stop it right??

I have a couple of blackheads thst fo the exact same thing at nighttime (not the point of causing wounds) and i just let them out to explore they are very active and curious snakes . Also they seem to notice if anyone is nearby and especially if food is around

i did put cloth tape on the glass to see if that would stop it as another post suggested that to someone with the same problem. worked for about a day or 2 but it has started doing it again.
seems to not be doing it as much today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back