New planted tank

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great, James. Is the background made up of foam and coco peat?

Yes. I didn't do a false bottom this time and instead used the expanda foam to make channels for the stream. Even after siliconing the stream it turns out the coco peat wicks the water out quite fast so I used clay balls as the substrate around the stream and put flywire on top and then soil. It stays moist so a few rocks, branches and bark and its all good. The plants are appropriate and the ferns grow well in low level light . I have a few tanks for the skinks that have different amounts of water in them but this appears to be a favorite.

This is fantastic. So all of the plants are real? I've always been very partial to a naturalistic setup but planted always scared me due to worrying that something will imbalance the system and I'd end up with some terrible fungus or insect breeding ground. Do you have to do anything to prevent any such disasters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great mate, is your GTP planted tank still going well?

This is fantastic. So all of the plants are real? I've always been very partial to a naturalistic setup but planted always scared me due to worrying that something will imbalance the system and I'd end up with some terrible fungus or insect breeding ground. Do you have to do anything to prevent any such disasters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on how far you want to take it. If you want a true mini ecosystem you need micro fauna such as insects, worms etc to dispose of the waste. I find fungi can set in in the early stages but just remove it manually and it rarely comes back
The key is to match the lighting and watering to the plants.
These enclosures are very easy to maintain and may only need cleaning once or twice a year. You just have to be careful on the species that you keep. Small skinks and keelbacks thrive in them.

Awesome, I may have been thinking of someone else with an all glass GTP enclosure with water and an island but also remember your keelback setup now you mention it. Can you post some updated pics of the keel back please?

Awesome mate, is there a lot of upkeep with these setups or are they fairly maintenance free?

Do you mind also sending me the link on how to make that background please.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

There is far less maintenance than normal paper substrate setups. I have never cleaned the keelback enclosure apart from the odd water change. The waste from keelbacks is mostly liquid when fed on fish. So all I need to do is wash it down when I water the plants. Fish breed in the water and plants do a great job at breaking down the waste. They have roots in both the substrate and into the water.
I just put around 10 gold fish a week in the water and water the plants every second day. The rest takes care of itself.

I think the keelback is a very underrated snake. Great shot.

In your skink enclosure, are the plants potted or planted? I have seen pros and cons both ways.

All plants are planted in fresh soil with no fertiliser. Any plants that die stay in the tank so it looks more natural.

And you used clay balls, then flywire, then soil? That's virtually identical to what I've been reading.

And you used clay balls, then flywire, then soil? That's virtually identical to what I've been reading.

I do it that way for my setups that use a lot of water.
For dryer enclosures I use washed river sand or granitic sand.
For my more woodland setups I find a few inches of granitic sand and then a few inches of soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back