New Site Feedback.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot of a section the jungle thread, to show missing photos example.

Further likes:
  • The loading bar of adding a file
  • The separation of links for adding an image from file, or an image from a link
  • Ability to choose thumbnail or full image
    missing photos.PNG

I haven't used it anywhere near as much as others here, and while I do remember what the site was like, the new site is a welcome change.

Whenever you update any system, the changes can make some prefer the old way and others embrace the change. The thing is that the internet environment is always changing and the new forum reflects those changes.

The thing I really love is that the site is now fully responsive. For those who don't know, this means that the website will change how it looks depending on the size of the window you have the site displayed in or the device you are using. Likely a reason why Tapatalk doesn't work is because the site now has internal functionality to negate using the app in the first place. The site is easy to navigate as the responsive design makes the site work well on smaller screens like that of your mobile.

I like the new format. And don't mind not having tapatalk at all as it was such a horrible app to deal with!
See the paragraph above :)

This was one of the key reasons we ensured that our new website had this kind of functionality. About 70% of our visits are from smart devices, so having a site that adapts on its own is extremely future proofing the site.

So the forum update is certainly a move in the right direction.

I too prefer the old design. This design to me looks a bit plain and simple. Don't particularly like the default green either, I think the darker green would make a better default.

You can change the colours for in your preferences :)

Go to "Preferences" in your drop down for your profile. Then at the top it will have a preset colour theme. Granted some of them do not support the Aussie Pythons logo (which I am sure can be addressed with a logo type which can support these other presets), but a setting I am using is "BP-BlackLime" which is a nice contrast of black, grey and green.

Pro Tip: If you use a forum a lot, making the colour theme to be darker as I have will allow you to look at the site for longer without straining your eyes as much since the screen isn't as bright.

Of course, there are plenty of other options to choose :)

Dislikes
  • The white text in tabs of Shoutbox

This is addressed in the presets, see above :)

Last edited:
The home page still doesn't function and when I tried to log in I hit an extra letter in my name, the site would not let me move the cursor back to edit out the extra letter and kept jumping back to the end of my user I.D. I'm still not convinced the site move was for the better but rather several steps backwards loosing more functionality than it originally had. I understand you devote a lot of time to the site but I'm calling it as I see it and I'd rather call a t--d a t--d than worry about someones feelings getting hurt. Is the site going to be fixed in the near future or are the problems remaining extremely difficult to rectify. I myself could have done without trophies, skin changes etc. I understand it might float others boats but I joined to read threads and comment.

I'm not sure I like the "new" APS,it seems like it's harder to read the posts.Maybe it's just me and my new PC and Windows 10 which sucks big time

Hi Rick

Can you explain what you mean by "it's harder to read the posts". I access this site using chrome on my phone and firefox and chrome on pc depending on whether i'm at work or home. I don't seem to have these issues but given you and apprenticegnome have said the same thing what exactly is the issue?

The home page still doesn't function and when I tried to log in I hit an extra letter in my name, the site would not let me move the cursor back to edit out the extra letter and kept jumping back to the end of my user I.D. I'm still not convinced the site move was for the better but rather several steps backwards loosing more functionality than it originally had. I understand you devote a lot of time to the site but I'm calling it as I see it and I'd rather call a t--d a t--d than worry about someones feelings getting hurt. Is the site going to be fixed in the near future or are the problems remaining extremely difficult to rectify. I myself could have done without trophies, skin changes etc. I understand it might float others boats but I joined to read threads and comment.

Cheers for the honest feedback AG and no worries on feelings, you are allowed your opinion. I can't comment on the entering of your name as there could have been so many things at play there that I would only be speculating so let me address just a couple of things. You have every right to call the site a turd if you wish to do so however I remember the days that would get your post deleted and an instant ban so I would like to think we have made some progress there, wasn't that a big ticket item for most people? You say the site is broken and have given one item of the home page, do you have any other examples as the home page is a work in progress as everything I have done on the test site, I didn't think the member base would like. Realistically, everyone comes to the forum anyway for the info?

I will admit the site changes look to be excessive however apart from a handful of things, the site performs the same as it did previously except the way you execute things are different. i am not holding anyone hostage to the site and folks are more than welcome to continue visiting and commenting however if there are issues with the site that people don't like, please feel free not to visit.

Anyway, thanks again for your input, have a good one
Stu

In reply to wally. If the upgrade has brought a new issue slowing down access to the site by any shape or form that would mean it has been impeded. Just to confirm this although I was confident I was correct on this point I took the time to verify the definitions of both fallacy and impedes.
In reply to Stuart. I mentioned the issue entering the username as it is a new problem I have encountered and to give you a chance to try and replicate it. I left the majority of a certain word blank as the site may have junior members but the use of the word edited was there to show the depth of my feelings in regards to the new look site. I never thought that it would result in an instant ban as that would have been an over reaction and glad to see you felt the same. I don't see any reference to the site being "broken" in my previous post and you point out that I mention 1 issue of the home page. I have mentioned several issues since the change of hands, some of which have been addressed. The previous site I had 4 issues over several years from memory with, certain conduct from specific Mods, nastiness towards members, timing out when writing a post and circumventing advertising rules. I see you have made a substantial improvement in 2 of these areas which is appreciated but now an increasing number of issues take their place. To yourself as the designer the site performs the same as it did previously as you are familiar with the changes you have implemented but the change in execution of navigation is in my opinion an unnecessary evil associated with the site change. I don't feel like I'm being held hostage to the site, I chose to stick around in the hope my feedback could help you rebuild it but am concerned that when I have spoken up with issues and provided honest feedback on how I see things I get the impression at times that I need to defend my input. The site needs members to exist and the last statement seems a bit blase. If I was a sponsor I would be concerned that my advertising dollars were being gambled on an under appreciated membership base. I don't think this was your intention as I believe you do want the site to flourish and feel you may have written this in reaction to the "t__d" reference.
If you want to down play my issues or would rather I didn't submit them in future just say so, I've got broad shoulders.
Cheers, A.G.

Apprenticegnome

I note that this thread seems to be the only one you're interested in participating in.

And you seem to be doing it without any issues. ;)

In reply to wally. If the upgrade has brought a new issue slowing down access to the site by any shape or form that would mean it has been impeded. Just to confirm this although I was confident I was correct on this point I took the time to verify the definitions of both fallacy and impedes.
In reply to Stuart. I mentioned the issue entering the username as it is a new problem I have encountered and to give you a chance to try and replicate it. I left the majority of a certain word blank as the site may have junior members but the use of the word edited was there to show the depth of my feelings in regards to the new look site. I never thought that it would result in an instant ban as that would have been an over reaction and glad to see you felt the same. I don't see any reference to the site being "broken" in my previous post and you point out that I mention 1 issue of the home page. I have mentioned several issues since the change of hands, some of which have been addressed. The previous site I had 4 issues over several years from memory with, certain conduct from specific Mods, nastiness towards members, timing out when writing a post and circumventing advertising rules. I see you have made a substantial improvement in 2 of these areas which is appreciated but now an increasing number of issues take their place. To yourself as the designer the site performs the same as it did previously as you are familiar with the changes you have implemented but the change in execution of navigation is in my opinion an unnecessary evil associated with the site change. I don't feel like I'm being held hostage to the site, I chose to stick around in the hope my feedback could help you rebuild it but am concerned that when I have spoken up with issues and provided honest feedback on how I see things I get the impression at times that I need to defend my input. The site needs members to exist and the last statement seems a bit blase. If I was a sponsor I would be concerned that my advertising dollars were being gambled on an under appreciated membership base. I don't think this was your intention as I believe you do want the site to flourish and feel you may have written this in reaction to the "t__d" reference.
If you want to down play my issues or would rather I didn't submit them in future just say so, I've got broad shoulders.
Cheers, A.G.

Cheers for that input again.

I haven't been able to replicate the login issue across several devices, OS platforms and browsers and can't fault it so am unable to address the issue you faced sorry.
My commentary around the "broken" reference was in response to your statement "Is the site going to be fixed in the near future or are the problems too difficult to rectify".
I would like to think I don't downplay anyone's issues and whilst I may have missed a post her or there, I have tried to respond to the best of my ability, I do apologise though if it has been late.

I guess we could go backwards and forwards several times and point out the flaws in our respective statements however I think you have a valid point in what you say. My only response in this instance is the quote by John Lydgate (allegedly) - “You can satisfy some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot satisfy all of the people all the time”

Anyway, its the start of 2017, hope its a good one.

- Thankyou for being one of my devout followers Wally. If you go through my history of posts which are few you would see the topics I did take an interest in are seldomly if at all there anymore. My particular interest in this thread is centered around my feedback, thoughts and views in regards to the sites format and the frustration felt in my opinion with it's demise. I feel attempts to fix the lagging membership and traffic are missing the mark so if voicing opinion in this thread gives you a tickle around the giggleberries then I'm glad your getting your thrills from me making up for the lack there of on the home front.
- I see where you are getting the "broken" view from now you have made reference back to my statement Stuart. My frustration there centers around the Home page being what would be considered the main page in any website or forum so with the length of time passed and the difficulty posed in getting it right to present to members this is one of the reasons why I feel the changes implemented have been a blind jump before being prepared. I'm not going to get into debate about the reasons why as it seems to be getting someone else weirdly aroused so I'll let it be. The problem around the login has now gone. Perhaps a little divine intervention as the clock ticks over into the new year? The other issues I will leave alone as I fear if I was to go into greater detail the wagons will start circling.
- 2016 was good and 2017 is promising to be even better. Hope everyone has a good one.

You can change the colours for in your preferences :)

Go to "Preferences" in your drop down for your profile. Then at the top it will have a preset colour theme. Granted some of them do not support the Aussie Pythons logo (which I am sure can be addressed with a logo type which can support these other presets), but a setting I am using is "BP-BlackLime" which is a nice contrast of black, grey and green.

Pro Tip: If you use a forum a lot, making the colour theme to be darker as I have will allow you to look at the site for longer without straining your eyes as much since the screen isn't as bright.

Of course, there are plenty of other options to choose :)

This is addressed in the presets, see above :)

Even with a new theme, shoutbox is not perfect just yet. Can't see usernames, and the notice bar isn't very legible.

aps shoutbox.PNG

Definitely don't apologise, would be a heap of work. Very grateful for all the effort you're putting in, just thought I would point that out

Hey Stuart.

When I login on the main page I find I have to again login if I venture into one of the sub forums. What gives?

@Wally, have you tried (when signing in) checking the "stay logged in" box?

Might not always be applicable - if using a work computer for example - but if you are always on the same device this may help?

^^ I shouldn't need to do that if I've just logged in. The forum doesn't seem to carry over the login from the main page to the sub forums.

Yeah that's fair..
So entering any sub forums its as if your logged out again? And then have to enter username and password?
At risk of annoying you and sounding like a broken record, if you check that box, does it change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back