New snake owner

Discussion in 'Newbies forum' started by Dave Jenkin, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Dave Jenkin

Dave Jenkin New Member

Hi there,
    I have recently adopted two snakes being a male Darwin Carpet (3 years old) & a (wildtype) childrens, not sure of age or sex but it would only be ~ 2 years.
    Still not sure of feeding regime but currently feeding Darwin 1 adult rat or weanling rabbit /week.
    Childrens is fed 1 adult mouse or weanling rat / week.
    My question is, is this adequate? As they are both still hunting around within 2-3 nights of feeding.

They are both lovely natured snakes, although the Darwin is always reluctant to be handled.

2. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

sounds good for the sizes, however, you might want to space the feeds out to maybe fortnightly :) - even monthly, wont hurt them, and they wont get fat that way :)

3. Dave Jenkin

Dave Jenkin New Member

Thanks Bl69aze,
    As mentioned, They are both hunting around within 2 or 3 days of feeding but I guess that just being opportunistic as most predators are.
    I think the Childrens will shed soon as it has gone quiet the last 2 nights.

4. Sdaji

Sdaji Almost Legendary

The feeding routine sounds reasonable, but it's difficult to judge in text. If the snake looks overweight, reduce feeding. If it looks underweight, increase feeding. If it looks about right, keep doing what you're doing :)

Bl69aze likes this.
  5. Dave Jenkin

Dave Jenkin New Member

Thanks Sdaji,
    Appreciate your advise.