New snake owner

Discussion in 'Newbies forum' started by Jazhu, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Jazhu

Jazhu New Member

Hi all. Just introducing myself.
    Just bought our first snake on the weekend, a coastal carpet python. Due for her first feeding tomorrow. She's only a few months old.
    She's small enough to potentially make her way through small gaps in her terrarium, so we have her in a smaller box until she grows a bit. I think I have her pretty well set up, but happy to hear any advice.

Cheers,
    Jaz

Snek.jpg

Neil j likes this.
  2. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

Assuming you have a heater under the substrate under the tub? What temps is it reaching on the hot end and cold end? You want a constant 32°c on hot end and 24~ on the other end, this allows them to thermoregulate, meaning they can control their body temps by moving from one end to the other!

Setup looks fine, (could always add some sticks for climbing) and I wouldn’t worry about the red light :) (some Will argue it can actually be detrimental to the animal)

Coastal was my first species aswell! Got him 6mtha old, now he’s 7 and 9ft

3. Jazhu

Jazhu New Member

Just the heat lamp at the moment. The tub is at 30 degrees by the heat lamp, and a bit lower at the other end. Pet store had her at 28 which seemed low?

She's spent pretty much the whole time in her hide, unless she's been out at night.

She didn't eat this morning. Not sure how long you're supposed to try, but I gave her a good few minutes. She was 'sniffing' it, but seemed more interested in a general explore than the mouse. How long before I should try again? And should I handle her? Or wait til she settles enough to feed?

ETA: I'll probably get a heat mat once she graduates to the terrarium.

4. Herptology

Herptology Well-Known Member

I’d move the smaller tub out of big tub and put a heat mat under the small one

Wait until she feeds and then wait a 3-4days before handling

She probably isn’t eating due to lack of “basking” heat, it sounds like the whole ambient temp is at 30

dragonlover1 likes this.
  5. Jazhu

Jazhu New Member

Ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Sep 5, 2019, Original Post Date: Sep 5, 2019 ---
    I'm so happy right now. I decided to give it another try, and I think I might have been at fault this morning. My 'I'm a mouse' game may have been off.
    She took it like a champ, nice wrap, and is back in her hide with a full tummy.

dragonlover1 and Herptology like this.