new snake problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite all the well-intentioned advice here (about settling in etc...), for a healthy Olive not to be interested in food, the problem will be 99% temperature related. You don't need to wait weeks for a captive-bred snake to "settle in" before offering food - if the enclosure and environmental parameters are OK, it will very likely eat on the first night. Snakes move around in their environment wherever they live, they are opportunistic feeders, and instinctively take food wherever and whenever they can get it... they don't move to another area of bush and wait a week or two to "settle in" before seeking a meal.

A potentially very significant problem with feeding live as you have done is that you will set up a preference for live food in the future, when the snake has likely been fed frozen/thawed rodents since it was hatched. A knee-jerk reaction to an imaginary problem which can have ongoing consequences.

Jamie

yeah it was from a pet shop,i didnt want to risk and parasites wild one might have. i find my snakes do not brumate until about 3 years of age, and if they are any younger than that they will take food once a week regardless of season, but then i only have 4 snakes so i don't have a large range of snakes to test this with.

On the shop bought live rat as food make sure you keep them for at least six weeks before using as food because they usually worm and spray for mites which is no good for snakes. Do you drop your temperatures over winter? I do not heat at night over winter and give them less time of heat/light once they are over 12 months so they will brumate.

Despite all the well-intentioned advice here (about settling in etc...), for a healthy Olive not to be interested in food, the problem will be 99% temperature related. You don't need to wait weeks for a captive-bred snake to "settle in" before offering food - if the enclosure and environmental parameters are OK, it will very likely eat on the first night. Snakes move around in their environment wherever they live, they are opportunistic feeders, and instinctively take food wherever and whenever they can get it... they don't move to another area of bush and wait a week or two to "settle in" before seeking a meal.

A potentially very significant problem with feeding live as you have done is that you will set up a preference for live food in the future, when the snake has likely been fed frozen/thawed rodents since it was hatched. A knee-jerk reaction to an imaginary problem which can have ongoing consequences.

Jamie
Thanks Jamie I will try and adjust the temp and see if I can get any results

On the shop bought live rat as food make sure you keep them for at least six weeks before using as food because they usually worm and spray for mites which is no good for snakes. Do you drop your temperatures over winter? I do not heat at night over winter and give them less time of heat/light once they are over 12 months so they will brumate.
Yeah I cut nighttime heating and drop the temp by 4 degrees during the day during the winter period

Yeah I cut nighttime heating and drop the temp by 4 degrees during the day during the winter period

Don't forget that these are snakes of the tropics, and often coastal, so that they will now be experiencing days in the mid-to-high thirties, and along the coastal regions, night temps of around the low twenties. In inland areas where the night temps drop far lower, the days are hotter and so rock formations and other environmental shelters stay warm throughout the night, and if it does get cold, these snakes get into water in cold weather because it remains far more stable than the air temps. As I said, it's 99% likely to be temperature related if any illness is excluded.

Jamie

Don't forget that these are snakes of the tropics, and often coastal, so that they will now be experiencing days in the mid-to-high thirties, and along the coastal regions, night temps of around the low twenties. In inland areas where the night temps drop far lower, the days are hotter and so rock formations and other environmental shelters stay warm throughout the night, and if it does get cold, these snakes get into water in cold weather because it remains far more stable than the air temps. As I said, it's 99% likely to be temperature related if any illness is excluded.

Jamie
Yeah it at 28 at night and 34 during the day but that's the hot spot,I don't think the ambient temps are right, thanks Jamie wish some one would have told me this before I fed live.

hey mate you really shouldn't of live fed after 2 weeks of having your snake because it wouldn't feed.
offer a frozen thawed once every 1-2 weeks if he hasn't excepted after 2 months or so try other things, live feeding should really be a last resort.
Cheers Liam

edit: sorry didn't see there was a second page to the thread, youve been told off enough ;)

hey mate you really shouldn't of live fed after 2 weeks of having your snake because it wouldn't feed.
offer a frozen thawed once every 1-2 weeks if he hasn't excepted after 2 months or so try other things, live feeding should really be a last resort.
Cheers Liam

edit: sorry didn't see there was a second page to the thread, youve been told off enough ;)
Yeah I've been getting a lot of criticism and not much advice, I made a mistake I admit that and I won't do it again, I don't know every thing about snakes hence me asking for help on the forum.

Yeah I've been getting a lot of criticism and not much advice, I made a mistake I admit that and I won't do it again, I don't know every thing about snakes hence me asking for help on the forum.

Sorry if it seems like everyone is having a go at you but if you read through the thread there is a lot of advice offered. I think that if your snake is not eating and it is losing weight that quickly then a check up at the vets might be in order. Just make sure your husbandry is right first. I do not keep that species so I can not offer specifics for you.

I noticed that you're in NSW, perhaps it is still a little cold there thus he may still be a little "slow" at wanting a feed? I know some of my bigger guys don't feed as often(or at all) during the colder months..... Perhaps your temps maybe a little low? I agree with the other's on the "live feeding" Although I can "get" that you were a little worried about the new "kid"
I generally get all the info I can off the seller so I can mimmic my new additions old environment as much as I can (within reason) I have found some of my Pythons deal with change very well, others seem to "sulk" (for want of a better description lol) eg; take longer to feed etc
Good luck with him :)

Edit:
I am blind lol didn't notice the temp question being addressed :)

Congratulations on your new little Olive.. Coincidently I just purchased an Olive on Tuesday and fed him 2 rats that same night after picking him up from the airport. His click clack has 1 hide and is heated from a below enclosure and hot spot reaches between 31-33. Your more than welcome to PM me if u have any questions.

Cheers, Dan

I would definitely have a closer look at your temps in the cage as it was smashing rats here. Feel free to call me anytime to discuss.
Vince

I would definitely have a closer look at your temps in the cage as it was smashing rats here. Feel free to call me anytime to discuss.
Vince
Temps are at 34 on the hotspot, that's from a heat cord, Ive brought a heat lamp with 75 watt ceramic globe and ill test that out. What housing conditions did you keep him in (dimensions, temps ect) ?

Good news guy's Ive finally gotten the little bugger to eat after six weeks. Turns out my husbandry was fine, he was fed mice by AA and when i tried one of those bam he took it.

Good news. Amazing what can happen if you just pick up the phone

That's good news. Sounds like you will have some fun scenting rats in a little while.

That's great !! well done to you and AA for the after sales service

Good news. Amazing what can happen if you just pick up the phone

wouldn't have to pick up the phone if the he was given all the info at the time of sale, all good breeders do this. maybe you should also start doing this....

Well done mate for getting your snake to feed but I have a question for the more experienced olive owners. Are olives usually that fussy between mice and rats? I have heard of an albino olive being not so good of a feeder but it has always been that way and is only young.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back