new snake problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hayden123113

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm am the new proud new owner of an olive python brought from Amazing amazon which i am very happy with him, but he does have some minor problems that i haven't experienced with my other three snakes, first of all he is extremely cage aggressive, and strikes at me as a walk past if he happens to be out of his hide (which is very rare) but once i get him out he is as tame as a puppy dog, second of all he wont eat anything and i did the whole wait one week before you handle him and feed him, but he still did not eat after a week. I am not very concerned about the feeding yet as Amazing amazon had obviously fed him a few hours before i got him, but i would like to solve the problem rather sooner than later. The cage aggressive thing may be a problem as olives can get quite large, any ideas on how i can fix this?

thanks, Hayden
IMG_0648[1].jpg p.s i did mow my lawn later that day.....

How long have you had him? Some snakes take awhile to settle in. I have had some that settle in after a week, but others longer.

Many snakes react to new environments and handlers badly, it's very normal, I would avoid his enclosure and give him lots and lots of time to settle in, he looks like a big fella, wouldn't worry at all about him not wanting food yet, he'll survive some time with out a feed :)

1 month is a good time for a snake this size then offer food before trying to handle

Get in touch with the petshop for assistance and advice.They should be able to tell you if your husbandry is much different to what it was at the shop.

Good news guys Ive finally gotten the little guy to eat after trying every thing, the only problem being that it was a live feed and he still wont eat frozen, any ideas on how to make the switch from live to frozen?

Be careful with feeding live, not only is it illegal, it can be dangerous to your pet.

Id be knocking the prey on the head first, and feeding fresh.

Be careful with feeding live, not only is it illegal, it can be dangerous to your pet.

Id be knocking the prey on the head first, and feeding fresh.
yeah I wouldn't normally feed live and the reason i want to switch to frozen cos I understand the risk to my snake. Although I wasn't aware that it was illegal.

It's not illegal, just frowned upon. There's another thread on here discussing it.

Have you contacted Amazing amazon? They should be able to give you after purchase advice. I can almost guarantee they had the python feeding on frozen/thawed.

It's not illegal, just frowned upon. There's another thread on here discussing it.
Not even frowned upon if it is a last resort but yes very frowned upon at this stage when it was clearly not necessary. The OP should not be resorting to live feeding a snake that size and health status.

Not even frowned upon if it is a last resort but yes very frowned upon at this stage when it was clearly not necessary. The OP should not be resorting to live feeding a snake that size and health status.

+1 :)

yeah I probably shouldn't have done it but it had been over a month and he is only 6 months old and at that age they should be eating once a week, if it was an adult I would have gone 4- 5 months before feeding live. That picture is on the first day I got him btw.

yeah I probably shouldn't have done it but it had been over a month and he is only 6 months old and at that age they should be eating once a week, if it was an adult I would have gone 4- 5 months before feeding live. That picture is on the first day I got him btw.
How much weight had he lost in that month? Did you speak to the pet shop before feeding him live prey? I have the feeling that you jumped in a little early with the live feeding but do not know what situation you were in exactly. It can be scary when you think your beloved pet is going to die from starvation but sometimes a second opinion from someone not emotionally attached is a good idea.

How much weight had he lost in that month? Did you speak to the pet shop before feeding him live prey? I have the feeling that you jumped in a little early with the live feeding but do not know what situation you were in exactly.
I agree with you I was probably to quick on the live feeding, in the pictures above when I first got him he is healthy, but before I fed him live I could start to see the outline of his ribs a little, I have no idea why he would lose weight so quickly because he is not particularly active, possibly something to so with the change of season.it is the first time I've had this problem all my other snakes have had a great feeding response.

I agree with you I was probably to quick on the live feeding, in the pictures above when I first got him he is healthy, but before I fed him live I could start to see the outline of his ribs a little, I have no idea why he would lose weight so quickly because he is not particularly active, possibly something to so with the change of season.it is the first time I've had this problem all my other snakes have had a great feeding response.
Maybe keep an eye on him if he is losing weight that quickly, might be nothing but none of mine have ever lost a lot of weight in a month. I know brumation is different because their system slows down but all of mine don't eat from around the end of April until about 2 weeks ago without noticeably losing weight. I also weigh my snakes once a month so I can keep an eye weight loss more accurately. I take it that the live rat wasn't from a pet shop was it?

Maybe keep an eye on him if he is losing weight that quickly, might be nothing but none of mine have ever lost a lot of weight in a month. I know brumation is different because their system slows down but all of mine don't eat from around the end of April until about 2 weeks ago without noticeably losing weight. I also weigh my snakes once a month so I can keep an eye weight loss more accurately. I take it that the live rat wasn't from a pet shop was it?
yeah it was from a pet shop,i didnt want to risk and parasites wild one might have. i find my snakes do not brumate until about 3 years of age, and if they are any younger than that they will take food once a week regardless of season, but then i only have 4 snakes so i don't have a large range of snakes to test this with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back