Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilefreak95

Reaction score
Picking up my new hatchling spencers monitor from the airport this afternoon! So excited, he'll be my first monitor. Still looking for a good name though. Any suggestions? Ill post pics as soon as I pick him up :)

003.jpg005.jpg006.jpg012.JPG124.JPG128.jpg127.JPG Excuse the bad quality, just the pics off my ipod haha. Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated :) big thanks to Tony (Antmisk) for the beautiful little guy!!

They are awesome monitors to keep! They grow very quick, if it's a male expect it to be nearly as long as that tank in 18 months time.

Oh lordy, haha. He's an absolute dude, so good! Wanting to try get him feeding off tongs soon and gonna train him up nicely so he's not too grumpy when he hits maturity. I heard they can be a bit full on as males.

Nice :)
I got 2 from him last week

Attachments

• spencers.jpg
    spencers.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 267
  • spencers..jpg
    spencers..jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
oooh, very nice!

ummm,...you could call him Spencer, lol!!

I would have the substrate a bit deeper. Mine already have a few tunnels dug in theirs, they spend most of the day basking or digging when they aren't eating, you ofter see their heads pop out from new hiding places. Just make sure anything heavy is touching the bottom of the enclosure, not on top of the substrate, so it won't dig under it.
Keep it heated and it will eat anything and grow fast.
Another one I got from a different breeder last year is huge now compared to these lil guys, hard to believe he was this big less than a year ago!

They weren't interested in pinkies, still not. But they go nuts for woodies and crickets and today I fed them mince meat with calcium powder mixed in and they loved it. Tony was feeding them minced chicken necks too but I haven't offered that yet.

Thanks!! Yea I'm gonna buy another thingy of red sand and chuck that in soon, he's an absolute gem! His animals are pretty attractive. So mince meat with calcium powder? Done. Ill give that a try, he's just on dusted crickets ATM, he's little. So ill be getting pinkies and mince meat tomorrow. His basking point is 60 and the cold end is about 26-28 .

They also ate boiled egg. Im going to try them on some chopped up day old chicken tomorrow

Stay away from mince meat and meat from supermarket. Stick to chopped up adult rodents/day old chicks and insects. I would also put heaps more sand and a few more hides in there along with a 50-60c basking spot and youll have a happy monitor.

Yea I got new hide dens last night, he isn't using them though? Lol, but I got a little roo mince just as a weekly supplement to give him some variation in his diet and I'm giving him dusted crickets and chopped pinkies at the moment, see how he goes, but he seems real comfortable with my presence around the tank, he doesn't run into his dens at all. It's so different to a Lacie or something. But yea, I won't be using the mince as a staple food, just as a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back