new stimson python.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

callumscott

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New member here, looking for some advice.
hoping to learn lots and be able to give some advice in years to come but for now ill be sucking in all the information I can get.

ive just bought my first stimson python, a broome variety and the colours on it are amazing.

im currently keeping it in a little plastic container with a 2.5 watt heat mat under one end.

can anyone tell me how what signs I should look for that my python is too cold?
Ill be getting a couple of thermometers in the next day or so as soon as I can get to a shop but im wondering if there are any other signs I should look for in my hatchie.

thanks guys
callum

An infrared heat gun is a must for reptile keepers in my opinion, use mine all the time.
They used to be fairly pricey but you can get them online pretty cheap these days.

Welcome to the forum, to answer your question re your snakes temp a good guide is to observe its behavior. If it's cold it will spend most of its time over the heat mat trying to warm up and the reverse is true. For future reference it's normal practice to set up your enclosure for a few days before getting any animals to make sure all temps are fine and you have an adequate gradient. Re the heat mat it should be running on a thermostat or at least a timer switching on and off at around 15 min intervals to avoid overheating. Lots of threads on here showing the effects of heat mats overheating and often catching fire. I also own a stimmie great little snakes but just be aware of the fact they often go off feeding when winter approaches even if your enclosure temps don't change.

Joe

Ok thanks guys.
The heat mat I bought os supposed to have a thermostat as part of it but I was reading that this is just a cut off and is no use as a thermostat.
Do these heat mats often fail is there a better heat source I could buy.
The heat mat im using is a 2.5 watt "reptile one"

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

2.5 sounds ridiculously low for a heat mat, check the temps ASAP that you're getting 32-34 degrees at the hot end when u get the thermometer. My heat cord and heat mats are 15 w and 10 w respectively

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bdav, what size containers do those two heat mats heat?

Thanks bdav, what size containers do those two heat mats heat?

I am currently using a 15w heat cord with 'microclimate matstat' thermostat. It's heating a 7l sistema storage container (from safeway) which is perforated with lots of holes using a soldering iron. You'll be able to find lots of literature about this, but i've got the heat cord covering approximately 1/3 of the bottom of the containter covered by a floor tile which evens out the heat to stop the animal getting burnt. I've also got a thermometer in there, and regularly check temps with a temperature gun (ebay has got them for $35 these days, and mine seems more than up to the task). With this setup i am able to maintain the heat cord at 32-34 degrees on the 'hot' end and approximately 22-24 on the 'cool' (unheated) end which allows the animal to regulate it's own temperature within that range. This is a very conventional setup for a hatchling. Make sure you have multiple hides in there too, cover one side of a toilet roll and put that in there, hatchies love them

Awesome thanks for that. I grabbed a temp gun from jaycar this morning and I think ill return the 2.5w heat mat and grab a head cord.
Cheers for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back