New To B&g Jungle Python Keeping

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debsta13

Reaction score
Hi - I am also a new snake owner - black and gold jungle python. I got her Saturday she is 6 months old and when I got her home she had not been fed for 10 days and was very snappy so gave her a pinky and put her in her new enclosure. Tuesday fed her a fuzzy and she is just striking the glass the whole time and very very cranky. I know they have said they would be snappy but is this level of snappy normal???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say it's because she's an enclosure, most hatchlings are kept in tubs because they feel safer and more secure :)
And do you mean fuzzie mice or rats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PHOTOS - PHOTOS - POST PHOTOS:D haha
I would suggest that this is mainly a feeding response and that it is quite a good thing -(Nothing harder for a new owner than a snake that continually refuses feeds)- but id also say that being a baby snake in a new enclosure with new smells and somebody strange checking to see they are still in the enclosure would be a little distressing.

Without knowing more I'd say everything's fine. If you fed Tuesday leave for couple days to digest meal and then go for some handling time. Itll calm down

Last edited:
Pinkies KC;) their the day or two olds. The hairless pink see thru aliens

Yeah the reason why I asked is because a 6 mth old should be on much bigger than pinkies (rats or mice) and pinkies have very little nutritional value for them
My 6 mth old coastals are on adult mice or hopper rats

Yeah the reason why I asked is because a 6 mth old should be on much bigger than pinkies (rats or mice) and pinkies have very little nutritional value for them

I gave a pinkie on the Saturday as it was 10 days since fed at the store and wanted to get in routine of Tuesday. then on the fuzzy Tuesday. The pet store had on their card only 2 feeds on Fuzzy mice

:O wow fat snakes :p

My darwins only on fuzzy nine and she gets super fat, even the breeder was feeding them to her,
I might go up a size or 2 after this packet but and see if she takes them!

OT: PICTURES!!!! There's many reasons she could be cranky!
Could be because of a new environment
Could be she's still hungry,
You should be feeding at least 2-3times the size of their body part where its thickest!

If you got from a pet shop, they generally "underfeed" (not the most appropriate word, but they don't feed them large enough food items so they don't grow too fast!)

But it's most likely they have moved to a new area, everything's new and now there's a big person in front of them, make sure to have lots of hides, they love to hide especially if the tank is possibly too big.
Generally you should leave them alone for 3-5days so they can settle in, but I'm assuming no one told you and it's not something you would think of being a new snake owner, I certainly didn't!

Pictures of the snake and enclosure would be awesome!

P.s was it from
Kellyville pets?

PHOTOS - PHOTOS - POST PHOTOS:D haha
I would suggest that this is mainly a feeding response as that it is quite a good thing -(Nothing harder for a new owner than a snake that continually refuses feeds)- but id also say that being a baby snake in a new enclosure with new smells and somebody strange checking to see they are still in the enclosure would be a little distressing.

Without knowing more I'd say everything's fine. If you fed Tuesday leave for couple days to digest meal and then go for some handling time.

Thank you

Thank you

I gave a pinkie on the Saturday as it was 10 days since fed at the store and wanted to get in routine of Tuesday. then on the fuzzy Tuesday. The pet store had on their card only 2 feeds on Fuzzy mice

Was she by any chance from Kellyville pets?? As they do feed the snakes fortnightly so they don't grow to quickly so good chance she's hungry.
I would defintely be upgrading her food
And if you can get her feeding on rats and jungles can be picky about swapping from mice to rats when there older :)
But I don't even start hatchlings on pinkies/fuzzy mice :) my guys can start straight on hopper mice (coastals)

My hatchies arnt fat at all :)
1ab45c3f9e2a38a397ed1db69148c696.jpg

Was she by any chance from Kellyville pets?? As they do feed the snakes fortnightly so they don't grow to quickly so good chance she's hungry.
I would defintely be upgrading her food
And if you can get her feeding on rats and jungles can be picky about swapping from mice to rats when there older :)
But I don't even start hatchlings on pinkies/fuzzy mice :) my guys can start straight on hopper mice (coastals)

Ha - how did you know?
I will go and get something bigger to give her next week then.
Thank you Kittycat [emoji3]

Ha - how did you know?
I will go and get something bigger to give her next week then.
Thank you Kittycat [emoji3]

Because I live around the Cnr from them :) I also got my Murray Darling Carpet from there when she was 18mths old, she was sooo small for her age and now has exploded with size and is huge and always hungry!!!!

f62b73a4e149bdf386c132b2a133621e.jpg
this is Hunny

Wow, nice looking pattern!
Something about jungle pythons patterns I love! Idk why but they almost look "fuzzy" in a weird sense haha!

Is that by chance the "deluxe hatchling setup"?

There's a reason I hate what kellyville does, but they can also be good.. at times.

Wow, nice looking pattern!
Something about jungle pythons patterns I love! Idk why but they almost look "fuzzy" in a weird sense haha!

Is that by chance the "deluxe hatchling setup"?

There's a reason I hate what kellyville does, but they can also be good.. at times.

It was the wooden box
fea50c4c2be727bcb6a9a63624e24c1a.jpg
60bdc6a0c69ab023543a0c265d86d939.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back