new to site and herpculture

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggaz

Reaction score
Hello
The neighbouring properties with mine included around brisbane bayside all enjoy a local large python, the birds tell us when it is around usually, it causes no issues, last night it came through my garden after being away across the road for more than a week, normally it would stay close to the few local houses, when it came home it burrowed real deep into some old heaped grass clippings, the snake is better than two metres long and very thick.
When do snakes mate, could the snake have recently mated and returned to lay fertilised eggs, if so how long do they incubate for before hatch, how do these snakes know not to eat the cane toads.
I have struggled to load/post pictures but can send a photo e-mail.
My son has a similar 1m python, he feeds only weekly, it looks for feeds daily, my concern is it could be a coastal python not a spotted python and maybe in need of more food, should he feed it more often? I will take photos if someone can help.
How do you get a reptile licence, my son has now turned 18 and illegitmately had his snake for over 8 months, in this time it has only shed twice, second time recently.

you cant own a snake legally without a reptile lisence? .. why does your son have a snake but no lisence? ....

spotted pythons and carpets are completely different looking, i'm sure many people can help you on this once you have a photo posted.

biggaz

My son's cousin owed him some favour and they agreed upon swapping the snake for favour, they are quite young as we all were once and sometimes didn't do things by the book, I am trying to make this a legal ownership somehow, I dont know that releasing the snake to the wild will benefit the snake or society and this is the best reason I can offer why he has a snake but no licence.
to the point can anyone offer advice how do you get the licence, I have struggled unsuccessfully loading photo's

You can't technically get an off lic animal on lic unless you either take the risk of ringing the authorities, plead your case, cross your fingers and get someone on a good day, or do something dodgy and find someone who will vouch that they sold it to you, i.e., selling you "paper"..... Spotteds and coastal look nothing alike and you should be able to easily see what species it is...

Don't worry if it was off license... most people before the internet became a huge thing started out like that.

I'm not sure why the government and everyone on here goes on about licenses like it makes you a good keeper or a good ethical person for that matter.
Either way, get your license then you can buy more animals from clean collections.

You can't technically get an off lic animal on lic unless you either take the risk of ringing the authorities, plead your case, cross your fingers and get someone on a good day, or do something dodgy and find someone who will vouch that they sold it to you, i.e., selling you "paper"..... Spotteds and coastal look nothing alike and you should be able to easily see what species it is...
"GOOD" honest reply......solar 17

where are you from?
every state has a wildlife gov website where you can apply for your licence, he will need to apply for a basics or class 1, some states or territory will allow keepers to have children pythons off licence, and yes most licences cost abit each year but thats what you need to put up with in this hobby snakes are not cheap. to another question about feeding - depending on age of snakes depends on how much to how often you need to feed it. I go with hatchy-yearling 1-2 food items a week to the girth or slightly bigger around the girth of the snakes gut, yearling - sub-adult(2 years) 1-2 food items a fortnight, adult (3years +) 1-3 feed items depending on sex (more for female and less for male) each month. shedding for my snakes accure every month or 2. poo - 1-2 weeks after feeding.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello

When do snakes mate? could the snake have recently mated and returned to lay fertilised eggs, if so how long do they incubate for before hatch how do these snakes know not to eat the cane toads.

depends on the species, in the keeping and breeding australian pythons book which I recomend and so will everyone else it says for coastals - aug, sept and oct when they'll start mating, egg laying - sept, oct and nov. and hatch around nov, dec and jan. and carpets and most pythons will only eat rodents, but some eat frogs and other reptiles.

Big deal if you don't have a licence, your not mass breeding them or anything like that dont worry about getting one, how do you think all the big names in the reptile industry like rob bredl, steve irwin and even david attanbourgh had snakes when they were kids, they didn't have a licence. And who cares if you feed them skinks and other reptiles if you only have one snake that is wild, again all the big names in the reptile industry and all the first people that kept snakes in captivity fed thier snakes what ever they could find, not buy them from the pet shop. The snake man on this site had copper heads and tiger snakes in fish tanks in his room as a kid and look at him now he's the most respected snake catcher in melbourne.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back