New to snakes. Advice needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiggins316

Reaction score
Hi guys. New to the forum and new to having a pet snake.
I have been lent a Stimnmy to look after. It was in a shed before this, in a glass vivarium. It was super cold. When I picked it up it felt like an icy pole. It only had a heat rock and it's been getting close to 0c recently at night. They are looking after it for a mate and said I could look after it If I wanted to. There's a chance the person who owns the snake won't come back.

So I've set it up in my house with a large heat pad under the glass tank in one side and ditched the heat rock. It's taped to the bottom on the outside of the tank. It's about 30cm by 30cm.
First question is when measuring temp do I have to get a reading of the glass right where the heat pad is between the substrate and glass? The vivarium might be around 19c but as long as the actual hot spot is warm on the floor im ok ? And what temp should it be. I've heard 26 is good but also some said 36 to 40!

Substrate question.

It used to have green carpet. Like astro turf. I've put kirttters crumble in. It has been digging in it and made tracks all around the vivarium. Is this normal? Is she trying to tell me something ?

Climbing question

Every night she climbs the vivarium and sits on a lip that's inside the cage at the very top. She falls quite a bit. Is she just enjoying herself or trying to tell me something? I'm going to get a proper climbing branch or something for her.

Handling question

She seems to want to go in the opposite direction to me when im handling her. She hasn't struck at me but she seems a bit nervous. I guess this could be usual for her and I am unsure of her past handling experiences. It could take time for her to get used to it again. I was thinking of just handling her and hopefully she gets more comfortable. 5 min a day.

I've attached a photo of her enclosure. I do think she is much happier now mainly because it's warmer.

d3b6604d273ba87eb894fa82e0056c3b.jpg
1d74b2d38c4dcd486875286792a891c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Some more photos. I think she is the wheatbelt variety
ca1258d229c172ddb8509a5ec2ebbc37.jpg
7e751be4fa66ec63f70659bccf93aed7.jpg
f0c635ee1e2be91f1f35da784cab28b9.jpg

Sounds like you've a good thing taking over the python, and well done on ditching the heat rock; they are dangerous.
Not sure if you will get correct temps with the heat mat on the outside. On the area above the mat it needs to be 32 or 33 degrees, the cooler end around 24 degrees. A foam or other fake background (and sides perhaps) will help maintain temps.

Nothing wrong with what your python is doing in the substrate.

Giving the python more climbing options should help.

Try touching the python to start with, and if it runs away, keep doing this over time, as well as just letting it get used to your hand when you change the water and clean up any poop. Over time the python will get used to you, and then you can try and handle it. Remember to be confident, and not hesitant.

Sounds like you've a good thing taking over the python, and well done on ditching the heat rock; they are dangerous.
Not sure if you will get correct temps with the heat mat on the outside. On the area above the mat it needs to be 32 or 33 degrees, the cooler end around 24 degrees. A foam or other fake background (and sides perhaps) will help maintain temps.

Nothing wrong with what your python is doing in the substrate.

Giving the python more climbing options should help.

Try touching the python to start with, and if it runs away, keep doing this over time, as well as just letting it get used to your hand when you change the water and clean up any poop. Over time the python will get used to you, and then you can try and handle it. Remember to be confident, and not hesitant.
Thanks for the reply mate.

I will.have to get a thermostat for the Matt. It fluxtuates to much.

I have been handling her everyday and she is great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back