New Triple Enclosure - Heat/Light Options - any advice most welcome :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichB

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will soon be taking delivery of a new 'triple enclosure' which is a bank of 3; each measuring 48"L x 20"D x 24"H. Each has a 24" fitting for a fluro tube, fitted centrally. Additionally, in the left hand side of each, there are two edison screw bulb fittings. Each enclosure is also fitted with an on/off thermostat.

My Housing Plan...

Enclosure 1 will house my existing adult Stimson Python. *(Currently she has a simple and effective set up in a 36" x 24" x 24" enclosure with one 'Reptapet' red globe which is her only heat source in her enclosure which allows also for night time viewing. This is controlled by a dimming thermostat).

Enclosure 2 will house a new/juvenile Bearded Dragon which we are yet to purchase.

Enclosure 3 will house a new/juvenile Blue Tongue which we are yet to purchase.

With the edison and fluro fittings as detailed above I am trying to get my head around the best heat/light options for each of the three enclosures; each will no doubt have a slightly different combination, or will they?? In an ideal world I would like to have some sort of night time viewing (across all three enclosures so it 'looks good'!) similar to that in my current Stimson's enclosure - the 'red look' at night looks nice and of course allows for the family to view her.

So I'm asking myself what combination should I go with in each enclosure?....

ENC 1 - I am aware that my Stimson doesn't need UV light and so I might remove the fluro fitting. I'm not sure though whether to utilise one or both edison bulb fittings and what to put in them? So...Globes (if so what type/watts)? Ceramic? One of each? Can I acheive a night viewing option whilst still having the optimal heat options? Both edison fittings are connected to an on/off thermostat not a dimming one as I am currently used to with her red heat/viewing globe.

ENC 2 - I am aware through the research I have done that our new Dragon will need a heat gradient and so again I will be planning on utilising the edison fittings (one or both) as the heat source in the left hand end. So....Globes (if so what type/watts)? Ceramic? One of each? Can I achieve a night viewing option whilst still having the optimal heat options? Both edison fittings are connected to an on/off thermostat. I plan on putting a UV10 tube in the 24" fitting and having this on a 12hr/12hr cycle.

ENC 3 - I have done less research into the Blue Tongue but am confident from what I have read that the enclosure size is ok. As far as I am aware the UV10 tube will still be needed as per my Dragon in ENC 2. And so I guess I am in the same situation as ENC 2 (Dragon) where I am looking to achieve the best set up utilising the two edison fittings to get optimal heat and also some night time viewing if possible. So...Globes (if so what type/watts)? Ceramic? One of each? Can I achieve a night time viewing option whilst still having the optimal heat options? I plan on putting a UV10 tube in the 24" fitting and having this on a 12hr/12hr cycle.

If anyone is able to give any advice or offer any suggestions for any or all of my 3 proposed enclosures it would be very much appreciated. I'm pretty much ok with regards to the general care of all three but am still unsure of my best heating/lighting options....

Thanks for reading and i look forward to any feedback you can offer...

Edit....

Enclosure 2 and 3 are now both going to house Dragons. A Central Bearded in Enclosure 2 and Central Netted in Enclosure 3.

Any feedback on heat/lighting options of each enclosure, based on the fittings mentioned in my post, would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back