New Varanus owner concerned..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavoNQ

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
New monitor keeper here, I recently acquired a pair (M,F) of Varanus Storri Ocreatus. They are fully grown but previous owner was unsure of the exact age. My enclosure setup as follow, I’m still trying to figure out how to upload pictures in this forum. Anyway here goes:
Hottest spot of basking area is 67-69C on top of tile stack, secondary basking spot is 60-61, with temperature lower gradually below each stack, cool ends are 28-29 (I live in cairns). I’m using mixture of playsand and coco peat as substrate. Depth is 8cm, but I have a box with deep substrate for them to dig, at least 30cm deep. A pot saucer for water bowl. So I have never seen them since I brought them home, haven’t seen them bask etc. I know that either one or both roamed around when no one is at home (coco peat and sands in clean water bowl, also poop on log surface). I know that they’re acclimating etc, but until when should I start to worry as I’ve never seen them at all? Could they be dehydrated,or even stuck at something and couldn’t get out perhaps lol. I don’t know I’m just paranoid as I’ve never had any experience with these guys. I’m so tempted to pick up the stack and see how they’re doing, but seems it will stress them out even more. Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Thanks
[doublepost=1542528319,1542528258][/doublepost]DF801712-3761-44C1-A4E4-598443C9D726.jpeg

Sounds like pretty typical small monitor behaviour. Honestly there is nothing for you to do than just be patient and wait until they eventually feel comfortable enough in their environment and around you for you to spot them. Your set up sounds perfectly fine to me, so other than giving them time there's not much more you can do so stop worrying.

To give you some perspective, I moved my youngVaranus scalaris into it's adult enclosure in June. I could easily go three or more weeks without the slightest glimpse of that lizard (end of a tail as it disappears if I was lucky) while it was getting used to the change. Only in the last month has it become comfortable with it's enclosure, and I've learnt where it hangs out, that I can more regularly see it. Even now though I rarely see more than a head disappearing down a hollow.

Cheers, Cameron

Sounds like pretty typical small monitor behaviour. Honestly there is nothing for you to do than just be patient and wait until they eventually feel comfortable enough in their environment and around you for you to spot them. Your set up sounds perfectly fine to me, so other than giving them time there's not much more you can do so stop worrying.

To give you some perspective, I moved my youngVaranus scalaris into it's adult enclosure in June. I could easily go three or more weeks without the slightest glimpse of that lizard (end of a tail as it disappears if I was lucky) while it was getting used to the change. Only in the last month has it become comfortable with it's enclosure, and I've learnt where it hangs out, that I can more regularly see it. Even now though I rarely see more than a head disappearing down a hollow.

Cheers, Cameron

Hey mate, thanks for your input.
Any suggestions on how to feed them if I even can’t see them lol? Is it ok to just leave some crickets and woodies in there, I left some pieces of carrots just to deter the crickets from gnawing on the lizards (just a concern, not sure if that’s even a possibility). And still changing the water bowl every day. Invisible pet yay why not. My missus thinks I’m crazy, looks like an empty cage lol.
Cheers
Dave

Am I wrong in thinking that storrs monitors are a prey item in the wild so are naturally shy? Its fine to leave crickets and woodies in

As Cameron said, your set up looks fine. Just be patent and they will come around. Crickets and woodies won't be enough. And you are doing the right thing leaving pieces of carrots for them to chew on. I've got Ackies and I keep them on a diet on chicken mince which includes bones, high quality puppy food (not dog food), crickets, woodies and small fuzzy mice. If you want to make sure they're eating offer them some chicken mince and you'll see signs if they are taking it. No need to change the water daily (opening the enclosure on a daily basis may even be freaking them out a little), once a week is fine. If you want you can give the substrate a light spray every week just to make it slightly damp to help maintain hydration (but don't over do it).

Cheers,

George.

Last edited:
As Cameron said, your set up looks fine. Just be patent and they will come around. Crickets and woodies won't be enough. And you are doing the right thing leaving pieces of carrots for them to chew on. I've got Ackies and I keep them on a diet on chicken mince which includes bones, high quality puppy food (not dog food), crickets, woodies and small fuzzy mice. If you want to make sure they're eating offer them some chicken mince and you'll see signs if they are taking it. No need to change the water daily (opening the enclosure on a daily basis may even be freaking them out a little), once a week is fine. If you want you can give the substrate a light spray every week just to make it slightly damp to help maintain hydration (but don't over do it).

Cheers,

George.

Thanks George,
Patient is not what I’m good at unfortunately lol, but I totally understand how shy these guys are. As long as I know that they’re fine in there. I will try some chicken mince. When you mentioned with bones, which part did you use? As you chop them yourself? I’m assuming soft cartilage?
Cheers,
Dave

Yeah David, I actually get my local butcher to do it for me and they just include a bit of soft cartilage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back