Newbie Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawra

Come here Squishy!
Reaction score
Hi everyone :) after seeing so many awesome DIY enclosures on here I thought I'd give it a go. Armed with a box full of foam and a heat gun I have started making what I hope will be a rock wall for my woma.

u3a7e2u2.jpg

Throw a few big chunky ones one there too. Woma's aren't known for their climbing skill so the deeper the rock shelf the better but it needs to be thicker than what you have to support it
You're certainly headed in the right direction

Thank you :) I'm planning to layer the foam, as all the bits I have are rather skinny.

Currently playing tetris with a mountain of foam. The wine is necessary - and also as a point of reference. I think I've taken on a rather mammoth task for my first background.

3uqabajy.jpg

Im still avoiding my first DIY back ground so your doing better than me haha. You look like you're on the right track, and i have no doubt the wine is necessary. Keep posting pics :)

Thanks :) I've started sticking bits here and there. I'm starting to think I should have just layered the foam in there and then shaped it. May try that as I go - I have a LONG way to go haha.

I found a pic of a rock wall with a peep hole and a scene painted in the background - that's what the little gap is for :)

I was given a tile for a basking spot but now that it's in there, it looks a bit huge. Should I cut it down or is it ok to be that large? It's 450x450 atm.

adeje2yg.jpg

sababyju.jpg

Are you attaching the foam to the rear of the enclosure? I always do mine on a base sheet of foam an seal it around the edges with silicone, that way i can remove it if need be.

Rick

That's a good idea Rick :)

Unfortunately I don't have much room to work at home (and didn't want to stay at the workshop all night) so I'm just siliconing the foam to the back of the cupboard and will be filling in the gaps with expanding foam afterwards.

Is there anything I should know about heat around the rock wall? I'm planning to place foam (will be rendered) fairly sparsely around the heat light and will be using LEDs elsewhere.

I like the wine idea, just don't spill any in the tank, the future resident may not like it :)

You're doing just fine, the mountain will soon be a mole hill and the wall will take shape. For a woma I'd suggest larger ledges low. As I said, they're not great climbers.
Why not use a heat cord under the tile and do away with the heat lamp ? Snakie stays warm and your work of art stays safe. If you HAVE to keep the heat lamp then don't lay any more foam around that area, just a thin layer will do. Better safe than sorry !

Heat is fine on a rendered foam wall. Ive had a 70c hotspot on mine and there has been no smells, discolouration or disfigurement happen.

Rick

Thank you for everyone's input :) this is the last little bit for tonight

5eba3yhy.jpg

zaqenejy.jpg

Last edited:
Finally getting around to rendering. First thin coat going on now... Should have picked a bigger brush to destroy lol
a9ape6ez.jpg

That's great!

It's dry now so I get to put another layer on - thicker this time I think. I don't think I put it on very evenly yesterday lol

hu2e9y6e.jpg

J-A-X can you please delete this thread and my other one named "Gamer's Graveyard"? I won't be sharing any more.

Ah well, these things happen. I have learnt a lot and (if I don't get kicked off for being mean) I'll sit quietly and observe from afar :)

I just read your whole thread and did I miss something lol.

On topic. Your rock wall is looking awesome. I really like it :)

I just read your whole thread and did I miss something lol.

On topic. Your rock wall is looking awesome. I really like it :)

I had a bit of a moment earlier on another thread... It has passed.

Last edited:
LOL, I missed it too - I would have fulfilled your request had I known about it :) but you deleted your post before I saw it. The quickest way to get moderator action in cases like this is to use the 'report' function and lodge your request that way

Ah I see :) I'm using my phone so just did a bit of searching and found the report button.

I'm kinda glad you didn't see it earlier, the discussions have flourished and I've learnt a lot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back