Newbie Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of a cave wall that's had water running down it leaving minerals etc, I actually really like it! I'd gladly put it in one of my enclosures, and that's high praise! (I'm damn fussy)

x

Thanks Skippii :) although you'd have a hard time getting it out of mine without a sledgehammer :p lol

Ahh no! Thinking of beating it out with a sledgehammer made me cringe... Can't destroy a work of art. The solution is simple, you must make more! I'll take 5 (and I don't even have 5 enclosures.. how's that for a loyal customer)

x

Ahh no! Thinking of beating it out with a sledgehammer made me cringe... Can't destroy a work of art. The solution is simple, you must make more! I'll take 5 (and I don't even have 5 enclosures.. how's that for a loyal customer)

x

You're too kind :D I would happily make you one, however unless you live within driving distance you're out of luck: it's extremely heavy!

Making it in the enclosure was great because it covers 4 out of 6 sides which I couldn't have done if it was built separately, but the constant flipping and turning of the box so I could get into the edges got a bit exhausting.

haha would be a bit of a trek getting here from Mackay.. Obviously what we need to do is have it airlifted by chopper! Genius.

I'm actually just finishing up rendering a background at the moment, I built it right into the back of the cabinet because the front of the cabinet has a lip around the inside. Would have made it impossible to get a background the size of the back wall through. I hear you about it being exhausting! I've spent many hours so far curled up INSIDE the cabinet, rendering. Messy and tiring, plus the genius that I am forgot to wear gloves and out of frustration trying to get the render to behave ended up using my hands to shove it in place. Needless to say that stuff dries the heck out of your skin.. fun fun fun. Not a medium I want to work with again any time soon :p

x

Mine too has a lip for strength, alas I think it's a lightly bowed anyway. Apart from the first couple of watery layers which I applied with a brush, I used my hands for the rest. Much to my partner's disgust I destroyed the washing up gloves in the process :D

Render certainly isn't my favourite medium however I am looking forward to putting Steve into it and hopefully he approves :)

Being the crazy lady I am, construction will then start on the top storey. Not as much rock wall planned for it though, more scenery which I will hopefully pull off :)

To remove some of the shine make sure you have more then recommended layers and get some fine sand paper and give it a rub down, this will scuff the surface enough to remove some of the shine you have.

I didnt have an issue with shine on my rendered background because i didnt add paint to it, so it ending up being rough enough to not add any unwanted shine.

Rick

I think ruining the washing up gloves would have been preferable to painfully dry skin, I might have to steal this tactic for next time! (assuming there is a next time)
I just got so fed up with the paintbrush, its bristles ended up pointing in 101 directions, and it was dropping render everywhere, except where I wanted it. Hands work SO much better, I've always been pretty hands-on lol so it was bound to happen. Just wish I thought of using gloves..

ha, if only our scaly friends knew the efforts we went to just for them! I hope Floyd appreciates his new crib once it's all jazzed up.. If he doesn't, it's highly possible that I will cry into my pillow for many days (about 8..)

There better be more pictures once your lower part of the enclosure is finished! :D

x

To remove some of the shine make sure you have more then recommended layers and get some fine sand paper and give it a rub down, this will scuff the surface enough to remove some of the shine you have.

I didnt have an issue with shine on my rendered background because i didnt add paint to it, so it ending up being rough enough to not add any unwanted shine.

Rick

I have been thinking of doing that :) I am tossing up between lightly sanding in between each coat or applying extra coats and sanding at the end. What do you think would work better?

I think ruining the washing up gloves would have been preferable to painfully dry skin, I might have to steal this tactic for next time! (assuming there is a next time)
I just got so fed up with the paintbrush, its bristles ended up pointing in 101 directions, and it was dropping render everywhere, except where I wanted it. Hands work SO much better, I've always been pretty hands-on lol so it was bound to happen. Just wish I thought of using gloves..

ha, if only our scaly friends knew the efforts we went to just for them! I hope Floyd appreciates his new crib once it's all jazzed up.. If he doesn't, it's highly possible that I will cry into my pillow for many days (about 8..)

There better be more pictures once your lower part of the enclosure is finished! :D

x

Washing up gloves didn't make it easy though, because I have tiny hands and felt clumsy with them on. It did kind of make the enclosure better though, because I got the poops with trying to get into narrow grooves if created with the foam so just filled in the holes.

It certainly is messy as hell. I turned the enclosure so I was working directly down on whichever side I was rendering which meant I could mix it in the ice cream container, pour it in and then just push it around without having to worry about it dripping or falling off.

Paintbrush:
qyzy4yra.jpg

Rofl, you really did a number on that paintbrush... Reminds me of an old wig my crazy aunt used to wear to our annual Christmas party. She was an odd one, that one.

I ended up going through about 5 cheapo paintbrushes before I gave up on them entirely.. I think I've chucked most of them out already, or I'd show you the Paintbrush Massacre of 2013.

x

Rofl, you really did a number on that paintbrush... Reminds me of an old wig my crazy aunt used to wear to our annual Christmas party. She was an odd one, that one.

I ended up going through about 5 cheapo paintbrushes before I gave up on them entirely.. I think I've chucked most of them out already, or I'd show you the Paintbrush Massacre of 2013.

x

Haha it sure copped a hiding. I use el cheapos also, didn't want to ruin my nice one. That's the only brush that I've killed though, I washed it out well and left it soaking in between each layer of render.

I have been thinking of doing that :) I am tossing up between lightly sanding in between each coat or applying extra coats and sanding at the end. What do you think would work better?

Washing up gloves didn't make it easy though, because I have tiny hands and felt clumsy with them on. It did kind of make the enclosure better though, because I got the poops with trying to get into narrow grooves if created with the foam so just filled in the holes.

It certainly is messy as hell. I turned the enclosure so I was working directly down on whichever side I was rendering which meant I could mix it in the ice cream container, pour it in and then just push it around without having to worry about it dripping or falling off.

Paintbrush:
qyzy4yra.jpg

I would just make sure you have 4-5 coats on it then sand the only, the only reason to sand inbetween coat would be to get to to stick better (no need to in my opinion).

As for the gloves i used latex ones, a box of 100 gloves cost around $4 and is handy for most they just making backgrounds.

Rick

Progress!!!!!!!!

Rock wall has at least 3 coats of pond sealer; I have lost count between myself and my partner painting it on at random times lol. It's like water! Lots of fun :)

edavu6em.jpg

eseramy4.jpg

8ada6uga.jpg

Cold end vent in the roof
6a2u6y7u.jpg

Hot end vent in the wall (this side is siliconed, not as shiny but kinda weird)
aqary3e9.jpg

CBF sanding as it doesn't look bad being that little bit shiny.

I also started siliconing a heat cord to the tile. Well... It's a mega pain in the behind but serves me right for not thinking ahead to router the board.

ume9enuj.jpg

y8y6y9e2.jpg

I went and bought some fake turf for the proposed top enclosure. It's so cool! It looks half dead which makes it look real - or so I think hehe

qy6e2uza.jpg

abynu5y5.jpg

I also chucked a block of coir peat in a bucket with water... It's gross :/ I'll see how it goes when dry but at this stage I think I'll be sticking to paper towel.

Hi Lawra Look'n good, glad to see you've made some progress. Have to say I prefer the shiny look of the crommelin to the silicon, silicon looks a bit dull and kind of blandish. That grass looks pretty cool where abouts did you get it from?
Did I read something about a second storey? sounds like you could have your work cut out for you.
Looking forward to seeing this one completed with some pics of Steve enjoying his new home.
Regards Shane

Hi Shane!

I got the fake turf from bunnings, $70/m.

Yes, I'm a sucker for punishment. The top enclosure is already cut out waiting for me to finish this one so I can start it. There's not enough room in my kitchen for both! It's dimensions are 1500x1000x500. I've also got 2 drawers for it all to sit on so it's raised and there's somewhere for the electricals to live.

Steve got to check it out the other night and I think he approved :) I just need to decide what I'm putting over the vent holes: some sort of mesh.

pumubany.jpg

menu8usy.jpg

That looks so good Lawra, nice job on the paint work...haha I thought I had OCD..if Steve doesnt love I'll move in lol :D

AWESOME!!!!

Looks like he's done a bit of growing.
Maybe you could try this for your vents.
Fly screen backed with mouse wire, and held on with wooden frame.
View attachment 299194

That looks so good Lawra, nice job on the paint work...haha I thought I had OCD..if Steve doesnt love I'll move in lol :D

Thanks wildthings :D With how it's going I think it'll be big enough for me to live in too!

AWESOME!!!!

Thanks Shane :D He has been growing - I wish he'd slow down!

Your pic didn't work... Try again please?

Progress!!!!!!!!

Rock wall has at least 3 coats of pond sealer; I have lost count between myself and my partner painting it on at random times lol. It's like water! Lots of fun :)

edavu6em.jpg

eseramy4.jpg

8ada6uga.jpg

Cold end vent in the roof
6a2u6y7u.jpg

Hot end vent in the wall (this side is siliconed, not as shiny but kinda weird)
aqary3e9.jpg

CBF sanding as it doesn't look bad being that little bit shiny.

I also started siliconing a heat cord to the tile. Well... It's a mega pain in the behind but serves me right for not thinking ahead to router the board.

ume9enuj.jpg

y8y6y9e2.jpg

Wow Lawra, that has turned out better than i imagined it would, don't try and remove the shiny bits as it looks great just as it is, it looks just like the caves i used to crawl around in when i was a kid in the Blue Mountains Escarpment, they were shiny and sparkely like that from all the felspa and mica in the rock. It is a brilliant job, you should be proud of what you did and i am sure Steve will enjoy it imensely. ++++1 :) ................................Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back