Newbie from WA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LexiP

Reaction score
Hi there,
We are new to the world of Reptile ownership, so I thought I would join your forum to read up and ask questions when needed. We just bought a Bobtail for our son's 5th b'day as we were told they make great pets. Of course all my son wants to do is hold it but the lizard naturally walks off his lap and under the closest piece of furniture. I told him she's still just getting used to us. My question is: Do Bobbies eventually show preference to human contact? Or will they always try to get away from us?
I have managed to have moments with her where she seems to enjoy a soft rub on her head or under the chin, closing her eyes etc Is she enjoying this or just 'tolerating' it?.
Has anyone had a Bobby for a long time? Can you share any stories about bonding?

Sorry for the long intro and loads of questions, I guess I'm just wanting to hear some positive stories about Bobtails as pets.
Cheers,
Lexi

The best way to handle a blue tongue is not as a lap pet

They will however happily sit on an arm length ways
While being stroked

(I haven't had a subspecies of blue tongue as a pet so just going off normal eastern blue tongue lizard experience)
in my opinion the eyes closing means they are relaxed

As for "showing preference to human contact vs hiding; I don't think a blue tongue will come running out of its hide to be picked up (if that's what you are asking) they do however become tolerant of handling and not seeing you as a threat when being picked up (won't run away or nip at you)

Sorry if I missed anything, it's a pain to keep scrolling on phone :(

Hi Lexi, I grew up in WA in the 1960's and we had as many as 40 Bob Tails and a few Blue Tongues living in our yard (yes it was legal then and we used to catch them in the nearby bush where they were prolific) Not only were they tame you could call some of them by name and they would come running at feed time. Nothing was understood about pair bonding in those days but a lot of them bred each year. I even had some of the "goldfields type" that were native to the northern suburbs of Perth, around Morley which was bush at the time.

Thanks, yeah I realise it's never going to come running for cuddles, but it's nice to know that the closed eyes is a sign of contentment.

Cheers,

All animals are individual, if yours is a nice, tame one, that's what you get. In my experience most blueies, even wild ones, will settle down to handling within minutes.

Welcome to APS, and the world of reptile keeping. Not sure if a bob tail (we call them sleepy lizards in SA) will ever be a good holding pet. A bearded dragon is probably your best bet. Still, they make great pets for kids to learn and grow with.

Thanks,
Yes we do like the bearded Dragon and were originally going to get one but were advised that they are too fast for young handlers, whereas the bobbies are nice and slow.
Anyway, we have all fallen in love with our 'Lizzie' now, the kids are learning to let her roam around the room and only hold her for short stints, she really enjoys a head stroke
Thanks for all your responses

I even had some of the "goldfields type" that were native to the northern suburbs of Perth, around Morley which was bush at the time.

Yellowtail, they wouldn't be true Goldfields Bobtails if they were native to Perth.

EDIT: Words aren't working for me tonight. I'll get back to it later.

Last edited:
They had the same colours as the "goldfields type" but I found several of them in the vicinity of my parents nursery in what was then Morley Park.

My parents property was in The Strand which is now in Dianella. (8 acres, be nice to own it now) It was all bush in those days apart from a few nurseries and as kids we used to explore the area between there and the Yokine reservoir.

I have seen a few Bobtails out in the Kent Shire that some would consider similar to Goldfields Bobtails colour wise but I would not call them that. Doing so is misrepresentative.

Last edited:
Hey Lexi were you the lady at the rockingham reptile shop when they had the sale about 2 weeks ago? she was buying a bobby for her 5 year olds bday too, i was the guy who was buying one at the same time!

I have seen a few Bobtails out in the Kent Shire that some would consider similar to Goldfields Bobtails colour wise but I would not call them that. Doing so is misrepresentative.

Oshkii if you read my post I said they were similar to the "Goldfields Type" I did not say they came from the "Goldfields", there were many of them in the Morley park area and if you put them with a group from the "Goldfields" you would not pick the colour difference.
Bobtails were prolific around Perth in those days, you could walk into the bush with a good dog and catch 10 or more in half an hour. They were in a wide colour variation possibly due to local soil and vegetation colours although most in the Morley Park area were not of the "Goldfields" appearance so maybe they were a genetic mutation, Dugites and SW Carpets vary the same way.
My comments are based on more than casual observation, I kept and studied them for years, displayed them in local wild life shows and even exchanged specimens with Harry Butler.

I did read your post, Yellowtail. Your original comment was;

I even had some of the "goldfields type" that were native to the northern suburbs of Perth, around Morley which was bush at the time.

It wasn't until your next post that you clarified your meaning - that some of the Morley Bobtails were similar in colour to Goldfields Bobtails.

They had the same colours as the "goldfields type" but I found several of them in the vicinity of my parents nursery in what was then Morley Park.

My next comment was based on the notion that just because a reptile looks like a particular locality doesn't mean it is so, and to call it thus is misleading.

People put an incorrect label to animals of unknown or known origins in the hopes of making them more desirable, even if they have no evidence to support their claims. An example, "that looks like a so-and-so Carpet Python, therefore it must be a so-and-so Carpet Python even though I have no idea or proof of where it comes from"! In no way I'm indicating that you do this with your animals. But many people do. We should be clear in our intentions so as to not mislead the uninformed, or give ideas to the unscrupulous.

They were in a wide colour variation possibly due to local soil and vegetation colours although most in the Morley Park area were not of the "Goldfields" appearance so maybe they were a genetic mutation, Dugites and SW Carpets vary the same way.

I am well aware that there's variation across many species in different areas. It is this reason that we need to be careful when we label reptiles under a particular locality or type.

Hey LexiP welcome to the forum.

I've had shinglebacks for a long time now and all of mine have been as laid back as a lizard can be. I don't handle mine much at all but all of them are fine if I grab them out of their enclosures for whatever reason.

There are exceptions with all reptiles, but shinglebacks are a good bet for a pet lizard.

I did read your post, Yellowtail. Your original comment was;

It wasn't until your next post that you clarified your meaning - that some of the Morley Bobtails were similar in colour to Goldfields Bobtails.

My next comment was based on the notion that just because a reptile looks like a particular locality doesn't mean it is so, and to call it thus is misleading.

People put an incorrect label to animals of unknown or known origins in the hopes of making them more desirable, even if they have no evidence to support their claims. An example, "that looks like a so-and-so Carpet Python, therefore it must be a so-and-so Carpet Python even though I have no idea or proof of where it comes from"! In no way I'm indicating that you do this with your animals. But many people do. We should be clear in our intentions so as to not mislead the uninformed, or give ideas to the unscrupulous.

I am well aware that there's variation across many species in different areas. It is this reason that we need to be careful when we label reptiles under a particular locality or type.

That is why I had "Goldfields Type" in inverted commas. This variation is commonly called "Goldfields Type" but I think my experience shows that there can be serious doubt that a lot of specimens sold (or their line) have ever been near the Goldfields.

Not only were they tame you could call some of them by name and they would come running at feed time.

Hi Yellowtail,

Nice thought but if you study the reptile brain you'll realize that lizards don't actually have the cognitive ability to "know their name". If they did come a running as you state it would have more to do with either associating you with food or alternatively smelling the food. It wouldn't be because you called their name.

All the best

George.

Hi Yellowtail,

Nice thought but if you study the reptile brain you'll realize that lizards don't actually have the cognitive ability to "know their name". If they did come a running as you state it would have more to do with either associating you with food or alternatively smelling the food. It wouldn't be because you called their name.

All the best

George.

Don't disagree George but individual lizards did respond to the calls, probably they were more adjusted and alert to associate the the sounds with food, who knows, they thought birds were dumb too.

That is why I had "Goldfields Type" in inverted commas. This variation is commonly called "Goldfields Type" but I think my experience shows that there can be serious doubt that a lot of specimens sold (or their line) have ever been near the Goldfields.

Fair enough. I think it would have made more sense to state that they were similar in appearance to Goldfields than to title them as such, but each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back