Newbie GT Frog Keeper & few qns

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold

Reaction score
Hi all I joined ages ago when looking into getting green tree frogs and haven't been back on for a while but remembered when I was looking for frog stuff online
but we now have 2 GFT (year old in November) that we got in March this year
and their characters that's for sure
there in a 3ft fish tank converted to paludarium with land and water (with some shrimp)
but looking at moving to a Exo Terra Terrarium Medium/X-Tall 60 x 45 x 90 cm at some point?

when should we be able to tell if their male or female? (hoping for a M/F)
#1 frog- the bigger of the frogs croaks regularly and has for a few months
#2 frog - smaller frog croaks sometimes for only few croaks then stops (also sounds weaker than #1)

there's quite a noticeable size difference (they where the same size) is that normal?
#1 is good at catching crickets and can be a pig
where #2 struggles (we hand feed it a few to make sure they get some)

Males will be substantially smaller than females and croak virtually non stop from November to February. Females are larger and I've never heard my female croak, except a scream-like distress call when grabbed. Female GTF's do not have a vocal sac like the males do. I've got 5 males and 1 female GTF.
Male GTF's also have larger tympanum (ears) than females and a special extra grasping pad on their thumbs for gripping the females during amplexus.
Growth rates vary depending on food intake like all reptiles and amphibians.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back