Newbie handling advise.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lachie2261

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, So I've had my spotted python for about 3 and half weeks and have had 3 successful feedings and she shed fine. I waited a lil bit before handling as everyone advised but now when I approach her she will just look at me till I move near her to pick up she runs into her hide. I use a hook and have sat her on my hand before and she just curled up in a "S" form and staired at me the whole time till I put her back down.

Basically she is always active and cruising around until I try to handle her, I'm always slow and no sudden movements what aam I doing to spook her?

Nothing, sounds like you are doing everything right atm. Just remember all young / new snakes will be timid untill they get familiar with you so handling a few minutes every few days and she will come around.

Unfortunately they r not dogs or cats ;)

Our childrens python was very flighty for a few months before he came around, never bit me tho but would always shoot off for the hide even if i wasnt near the enclosure, with regular handling and patience he was all good, now all he wants to do is come out :rolleyes: and im sure with the same approach ur spotted will be fine. :)

(off topic- did u get my pm ozi? lol)

Our childrens python was very flighty for a few months before he came around, never bit me tho but would always shoot off for the hide even if i wasnt near the enclosure, with regular handling and patience he was all good, now all he wants to do is come out :rolleyes: and im sure with the same approach ur spotted will be fine. :)

(off topic- did u get my pm ozi? lol)
i did ty...i got a blond on order but the mum hasnt layed yet so its guna be a while till i get her..if the eggs turn out ok...where u got yur eye on Phoenix line cause i be buggered if i can tell the difference and they seem alot rarer?

your BIG and SCARY and trying to EAT her
it takes time for little defenseless snakes to trust a big scary thing
give it time and peserve slowly slowly :D

i did ty...i got a blond on order but the mum hasnt layed yet so its guna be a while till i get her..if the eggs turn out ok...where u got yur eye on Phoenix line cause i be buggered if i can tell the difference and they seem alot rarer?

Im sure at least 1 of 10-20 eggs will be a good one, ur lucky tho, at least ur getting one this year ;) exactly why i want them, because of how rare they are compared to blondes, maybe i could help their line become more... popular?

Im sure at least 1 of 10-20 eggs will be a good one, ur lucky tho, at least ur getting one this year ;) exactly why i want them, because of how rare they are compared to blondes, maybe i could help their line become more... popular?
well Snake Ranch crossed theres so i really dont think there will be any interest as prices r also dropping big time.........still dont c the visual difference.........someone plz post me a phoenix picccccccccccccccccc lol

- - - Updated - - -

Sry Lochie we may have Raped yur thread....apologies

well Snake Ranch crossed theres so i really dont think there will be any interest as prices r also dropping big time.........still dont c the visual difference.........someone plz post me a phoenix picccccccccccccccccc lol

- - - Updated - - -

Sry Lochie we may have Raped yur thread....apologies

+1 i also apologise (kinda my fault tho :/ lol)

True, but im still quite interested in that line for some reason even if there is no visual differences, i know of a breeder with phoenix pics but wont allow anyone to veiw them unless they are buying a reptile from them which is understandable (this is the breeder i plan on buying mine from).

Hmmmm.... newbie handling advice?

I just slap them around a bit to get them to listen..... and then....

Oh, you mean newbies handling snakes? Sorry, I thought you meant handling newbies :lol:

Who?. Nothin like a good laugh, (its what keeps me sane 8))

Last edited:
had the same issue, just be gentle, no sudden movements, pick the right time of day to handle as well (and keep that time as a routine) and just keep at it. when my little girl S'd up at me I would normally bring her closer to my body (if she's on my hand that is) and that seemed to calm her down? (not sure if I just made that up or if it's real but it seemed to work). I've had her about 3 months now and she's settling down a fair bit, still a bit jumpy every now and then and I'f i pick the wrong time of day to handle her she'll tell me. I normally handle her with a hook and about 2 times a day.

I dont wanna know :/ actually i am quite interested to know lol maybe we need a film called 'revenge of the newbies' rather then nerds ;) lol

Hey everyone, So I've had my spotted python for about 3 and half weeks and have had 3 successful feedings and she shed fine. I waited a lil bit before handling as everyone advised but now when I approach her she will just look at me till I move near her to pick up she runs into her hide. I use a hook and have sat her on my hand before and she just curled up in a "S" form and staired at me the whole time till I put her back down.

Basically she is always active and cruising around until I try to handle her, I'm always slow and no sudden movements what aam I doing to spook her?

From my experience, that 'S' shape (strike position) usually means one of 2 things...... it is hungry, or it is being defensive. I can read my lot like little books :rolleyes: When they are hungry, they never take thier beedy little eyes off me :shock: thier head physically follows you around the room, they are looking with both eyes..... and they are 'hunting' in strike position. Once they are fed, they go in the hide or on the branch and dont even bother looking at me :) After about 7-8 days, they lay there and just keep one eye on me, without physically moving thier head. After about day 9.... they start lifting thier head but not too much..... after about day 12, it is back to hunting mode :lol:

How much are you feeding your snake? It has had 3 feeds in 3 weeks (cool) but how big is a feed? How much does your snake weigh? A feed should be about 15-20% (a mac.... prolly 25%) :lol:

every week, a velvet and a pinkie now days. she's very easy to feed. she's stopped S'ing up at me since but she use to do it a fair bit when she was little. seemed to be a bit scared of wide open spaces and myself :) she's fine now though.

The first feeding was 2 days after I got her and she ate 2 fuzzy mice and every Monday after I've fed her 1 hopper and shes about 50 - 60 cms long. :)

I always preferred her to be a display pet but the more I research the more keen I am to have a proper handle I just wanna always make sure im not gonna hurt her etc

Antaresia's are perfect snakes for handling, they tend to be super docile, their tougher then u might think, its not any easy task hurting them unless of course u do it deliberatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back