Newbie- Help wanted!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missnikki

Not so new Member
Reaction score
HI, I'm in the process of setting up an enclosure for my first python (looking at getting a spotted, or childrens) I'm in Cairns and have read that it's not necessary to have heating unless its winter. Does this mean I have to have a UV light? I was thinking of getting a heat lamp to use when it cools down. I'm going to use an aquarium and have a jungle background with marine carpet for the substrate. Also, where is the best place to find a screen wire mesh hard top with clips for the lid? Sorry, probably silly questions but I want to do it properly!
(If people from the same area can give advice on the heating/lighting questions that would be great.)
Thanks in advance!

Hi Nikki,

No need for the a UV light, not needed for snakes, unless you're keeping Diamonds.

As for the heating, depends, ifyou're gettng a young snake, I would use heating, perhaps just a heat mat and hooked up to a thermostat.

I'm not a big fan of glass aquariums for snakes, fish love them when they're full of water, but for keeping reptiles, glass aquariums are a problem because of their ability to retain / lose temperature compared to other types of herp enclosures.

Finally, substrate, yes marine carpet looks good but your snake is going to mess all over it and it will be hard to keep clean. My advice, use newspaper.

All the best.

hi nikki

i have 2 childrens pythons i have had them for about 3years i have a uv light and i also use a heat light aswell.with the lid i have a tank the same and all i did was went to bunings and got that wire mesh and i got some long bits of dowl cut it to the length off the tank and width then staple it together.with the carpet i use aquatic sand as you can scoop the mess out easy.i wil try end put some pics up for you soon if that will help

Hi,
Thankyou for your suggestions they've been really helpful! I suppose my main concern is lighting/heating as I want to do whats best for the snake! I plan on getting a hatchling so I will definately get heating!
Spook, some pics would be excellent!
Thanks

yeah aquariums aren't the best. You can still get a good heat gradient, but probably not very efficient in terms of the power bill lol. With regards to the mesh top, don't have it all mesh. I would have probably 40-50% max mesh and the rest some sort of board (ply-wood?) with some small holes drilled for some ventilation. Otherwise you will find where your heat light is, alot of heat will be escaping through the top and your humidity levels probably won't be that high either.

i use a heat mat for my girl (3months old), the lighting is not necessary if it is in an area where natural sunlight gets in and it will get the normal light day dark night routine. I have never used a heat light for any of my reptiles so i can not comment on that but you will have trouble keeping the enclosure warm if it is glass, you may find you snake permanently 'hugging" the heat light.

Hi Missnikki,
I have a little spotted and he is the sweetest little thing. He is my first snake and i also live in Cairns. I have had him since he was 2 months old and he is now about 6 months old. I am by no means an expert but ill tell you what i have done. I keep Spot in a 7L sistema container. I have a low wattage heat mat under one end. I think it is only 5w. I have it on a thermostat. No UV. I only plan on heating him until he is about 12 months old. Used a soldering Iron for holes (ventilation) in his container. Have 2 thermometers to test temps on either end. Hot end around 31-32 and other end room temp. Due to our temps up here the heat mat is not always in use but it is there went the temps drop at night and for the up coming wither. He usually always sleeps on the end with the mat.I have been told also that we don't really need heat up here but i like having it there while he is small just in case and to help him digest his food.

Attachments

• IMG_1336.jpg
    IMG_1336.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 58
Thanks for all the tips!

Beautiful snake Mummabear! I want to get a spotted, hopefully witih a nice temprement too! Did you buy him locally?

Hi Missnikki,
I have a little spotted and he is the sweetest little thing. He is my first snake and i also live in Cairns. I have had him since he was 2 months old and he is now about 6 months old. I am by no means an expert but ill tell you what i have done. I keep Spot in a 7L sistema container. I have a low wattage heat mat under one end. I think it is only 5w. I have it on a thermostat. No UV. I only plan on heating him until he is about 12 months old. Used a soldering Iron for holes (ventilation) in his container. Have 2 thermometers to test temps on either end. Hot end around 31-32 and other end room temp. Due to our temps up here the heat mat is not always in use but it is there went the temps drop at night and for the up coming wither. He usually always sleeps on the end with the mat.I have been told also that we don't really need heat up here but i like having it there while he is small just in case and to help him digest his food.

that is exactly what i have done! love it, so cheap and easy. i've not put any fun stuff in yet though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back