Newbie making preparations for first snake

Discussion in 'Newbies forum' started by jasey, Oct 7, 2018.

1. jasey

jasey New Member

Hi all! I've wanted a snake for as long as I can remember, but haven't been in a position to provide a good home for one until now. Now I live alone and think I'm finally ready to take on the commitment. I'm going for either a woma or a stimson's, since they're both ground-dwelling desert snakes with similar care requirements.

Right now I'm working on setting up an appropriate enclosure. I want to make sure I've got a fully set up enclosure and get some practice in controlling the temperature gradient before I go buying any snake. On that topic, what are the trusted brands of heat mat and thermostat in Australia? Most online resources are America-centric, but American electronics have different plugs on them.

Thanks, and it's nice to meet you all.

2. Synveil

Synveil Not so new Member

I'm in a very similar spot to you at the moment, literally in the process of testing my temps and such in planning for getting my first snake in a few weeks, aiming for a woma too.

I've opted for running a globe over a heat mat (custom made wooden enclosure), but the thermostat I opted for simply because of it's awesome functionality is the "microclimate evo lite", thing seems awesome so far for the control side of things, and has no shortage of options for any type of heating. It's a timer and thermostat in one, the only downside is it has UK plugs, but that's easily fixed with a few dollars worth of adapters from bunnings.

TheresASnakeInMyBoot likes this.
  3. jasey

jasey New Member

Womas are so cute, aren't they? I love their dumb little shovel faces. Though I love the red blotchy patterns you get with the stimsons, too. I'm having a real tough time choosing between them. ;) I might have to get a second snake someday so I can have both.

I've heard of the microclimate! Pretty expensive, but if it's good and reliable enough to be worth the price I don't mind shelling out. I hadn't thought of using adapters for overseas plugs.

4. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

I’ve seen people swear by the cheap 10$ thermostats from
    eBay (the white ones)

Also seen people swear by microclimate and other expensive ones (100-200$) like habistat

Mine is https://www.kellyvillepets.com.au/p...MIvMPC9Pr03QIVGA4rCh1ykQe3EAQYASABEgIFcPD_BwE

(Didn’t pay that much, asked for a discount) only problem is it doesn’t have a timer for the heat side and only a timer for the light

Fixed the problem by buying a crest timer from target

5. Synveil

Yeah womas are gorgeous looking little snakes, I hear they have pretty good personalities too which is a bit if a deciding factor for me on what one in choosing.

The microclimate evo lite is around 130, the normal evo that has two inputs is more around the 200 mark, they just have more options than most other thermostats, can set day night cycles, they work on pulse, dimming and on/off settings so you can plug them in to any type of heating and pretty much let them run, the touch screen isnt the highest quality but so far it does a great job without me having to get a secondary timer. It's basically a good little all in one.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Bl69aze likes this.
  6. TheresASnakeInMyBoot

TheresASnakeInMyBoot New Member

Personally ive used the adaptors from bunnings. Theyre pretty idiot proof. One for my first snake and one for my last. (Also other appliances in everyday life) if you know how to cut a cord and strip the tip. Its simple as 1 2 3. Plus the instructions for anyone who doesnt know much about electronics and coloured wires.

Reasons i prefer to use these plugs are you only need to drill a 6mm slot in the enclosure rather than one to fit a whole plug through it and find a way to cover it somehow.

Tip: check the amp of the plugs. 15amp has a larger earthing plug (the bottom on of the 3) but the 10amp fits into majority of plugs. If you grab the 15amp just unscrew it from the plug and pull it out. Turn it into a 2 prong plug. Majority of appliances are 2 pronged anyhow. A positive and neutral.

Any other questions flick me a message. Can provide pictures and feedback.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

7. Synveil

That's another perfectly fine way to do it too, I personally just used travel adapters as the UK plugs are actually a really good design, they have a small internal fuse to protect from surges, so essentially a small inbuilt rcd. But both methods work fine for using something with international plugs.

8. Mick666

Mick666 Active Member

I wouldn't be messing with wiring unless you're a qualified sparky. I paid an electrician friend $50 per cabinet to hook up my heating, small price to pay for peace of mind.

9. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

Last time I told someone to solder a cable I got blasted (people saying I’ll be liable if they burn their house down and shiz )

10. Pauls_Pythons

Pauls_Pythons Power Seller Power Seller

Regardless of personal ability the problem with doing your own electrical work is a legal one and becomes very valid when you have an electrical fire and the insurance company wont pay out.
    Plenty of people do their own electrical work but it would be negligent for anyone to recommend this course of action, especially as the competence of the person is unknown.

Bl69aze likes this.
  11. Synveil

Bl69aze likes this.